Advice re: Real time digital camera for microscope

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
ebenbildmicroscopy

Advice re: Real time digital camera for microscope

#1 Post by ebenbildmicroscopy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:01 pm

Apologies in advance if this is addressed in another thread...

Occasionally, I am requested to provide a microscope setup in a classroom environment - the last time was several years ago to demonstrate freshwater algae under phase contrast for a large group of Boy Scouts. They formed a line while I sat next to the scope and showed each one how to adjust the interpupillary and fine focus controls. It was a big hassle. Is there a real time digital camera that can be hooked up directly to a monitor without a computer interface - like the old closed circuit video cameras used to?
JeffO, aka "Ortho amore"
Leitz Ortholux I
Leitz Orthoplan
Leitz Macro-Dia Device
Zeiss GFL
Zeiss Standard
Zeiss Photomicroscope III
Zeiss OPMI 6S
B&L Stereozoom and Balplan

zzffnn

Re: Advice re: Real time digital camera for microscope

#2 Post by zzffnn » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:32 pm

Many current DSLR should have mini HDMI output. I remember my old Olympus E-PM2 has such one, which worked ok with my TV (though there is a very slight delay - current cameras should be faster).

ebenbildmicroscopy

#3 Post by ebenbildmicroscopy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:12 am

THANK YOU, zzffnn!

I bought a Canon Rebel T5i about 2 years ago in anticipation of starting a YouTube channel. I must confess that I haven't done anything with the camera in all that time, though I have recently purchased an adapter t style mount to integrate it with my scopes. I honestly had no idea that the connection to a monitor would be that simple and am a little embarrassed not to be further along in using the setup!

Thank you again!
JeffO, aka "Ortho amore"
Leitz Ortholux I
Leitz Orthoplan
Leitz Macro-Dia Device
Zeiss GFL
Zeiss Standard
Zeiss Photomicroscope III
Zeiss OPMI 6S
B&L Stereozoom and Balplan

AndyMilman

#4 Post by AndyMilman » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:36 pm

I've been using a Canon T3i DSLR for a few years, making pictures through the photo port on my microscopes. The results have, for the most part, been excellent. If you discount operator error.

I just need to use an HDMI cable to connect the camera directly to a monitor. This gives a good, but not exact, copy of the image you'll be getting (the resolution is lower). But the good part is that you can compose the shot by looking at the monitor. I have two of them mounted permanently just for this purpose.

The good news is that good used monitors are cheap, at least in the US.