Help with camera for CS mount 1/2" sensor

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
smilem

Help with camera for CS mount 1/2" sensor

#1 Post by smilem » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:17 pm

I have a this lens MC3-03X | Variable macro lens, C-mount | Opto Engineering
I'm looking for camera to got along it for best performance for telecine, microscopy application.

Currently I have selected https://en.ids-imaging.com/store/ui-3590cp-rev-2.html

I'm not into technical terms, can anyone look into specifications and perhaps you know better camera.
I've chosen IDS because they have software along their camera with hot pixel removal, HDR etc. features.

Please any help appreciated.
Attachments
EMVA1288_UI-3590CP-C-HQ_default-settings_maxROI.pdf
(937.9 KiB) Downloaded 243 times

apochronaut

Re: Help with camera for CS mount 1/2" sensor

#2 Post by apochronaut » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:04 pm

I can't decipher most of the technical jargon on the data sheet but the basic performance characteristics of the camera that I do understand look to be very good. The camera will probably do what you want it to.

The lens is a whole other affair.

What many of those new to microscopy need to wrap their heads around is that the microscope objective is in fact the lens of the camera. However , it is a lens that was designed for microscope imaging, not putting an image onto either film or a sensor. The other thing is that 2 microscope objective lenses can be very similar, or even exactly the same in their optical characteristics, or they can be very different. This makes some of them perfectly capable of imaging well directly onto a sensor or not, depending on their characteristics, and others needing significant correction prior to the image making it to the sensor. For this reason, almost all camera set ups on a microscope use an intermediate lens between the camera and the objective lens. When choosing an intermediate lens, you are choosing it to capture faithfully, what the eyepiece is seeing. In some cases the best intermediate lens is a microscope eyepiece, that has been designed for that system but before you choose a lens for the system, you need to know, just what characteristics that lens needs to have, in order to render a faithful image to the sensor. The relay lens can take many forms but an understanding of the nature of the image it is relaying, is paramount to getting an image to the sensor that is flat, and free from optical aberrations.

Organizing a microphotography set up needs to be done from the microscope up, not from the camera down.