Understanding the capabilities of microscope cameras

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
Neil Hildebrandt

Understanding the capabilities of microscope cameras

#1 Post by Neil Hildebrandt » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:12 pm

I have no idea how a microscope camera works. What I want is a live feed from the camera to a monitor. My back does not like looking in the eyepieces any more.

einman

Re: Understanding the capabilities of microscope cameras

#2 Post by einman » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:25 pm

Canon EOS models come with a utility that allows you to tether the camera to a laptop for live view. You need to purchase the appropriate adapters for your the model camera and microscope.
Nearly all microscope specific cameras come with software to allow live view on your laptop.

zzffnn

#3 Post by zzffnn » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:41 am

Many Olympus cameras can use mini HDMI-to-regular HDMI cable to output live images to TV. Try to use HDMI connection, as some USB2 or older analog cable cannot transfer live images quickly enough.

amanda1

#4 Post by amanda1 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:09 am

First, what kind of microscope do you use? I recommend the camera https://www.ebay.com/itm/Point-Grey-FLI ... Sw62VZxA7C, you can search for something similar ... and cheaper, if necessary. Now all modern usb microscopes can be displayed.

Hobbyst46

#5 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:03 pm

In the case that you opt for a Canon EOS camera, if it is a mirrorless of the series EOS-M series, they do not support live view with a desktop computer - no matter which software. They do support tethering with smartphone or tablet. I do not know if they support tethering with a laptop computer. I suspect otherwise.

cmtalb01

#6 Post by cmtalb01 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:51 pm

I use a Sony a6000 with a Canon Photomicro Unit F microscope system and a e-mount to FD adapter. Sony has a mini HDMI out that make is super simple to connect to a monitor. In addition, the view is "live" so that what you see is what you get. I have been very please with the setup.

PeteM

#7 Post by PeteM » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:27 am

Neil Hildebrandt wrote:I have no idea how a microscope camera works. What I want is a live feed from the camera to a monitor. My back does not like looking in the eyepieces any more.
Neil, Paying attention to ergonomics -- height of your microscope table, etc. -- can make a huge difference to how your back, neck, etc. feel. A camera is good to have, but you'll almost always enjoy the image more directly through a good microscope. If it's high enough resolution to approach that of your eye, it may also show lag. And there's something hard to quantify, but somehow better, looking directly into a fairly wide plan image.

Most microscope makers also offer risers and tilting (ergo) heads for a comfortable view.

An HDMI or USB3 input from whatever camera you choose >> to a good monitor should be able to handle a decent size image with minimal lag.