Looking for camera

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
jomaiz

Looking for camera

#1 Post by jomaiz » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:36 pm

I have the optika B-159 binocular microscope, I want to buy a usb camera to take photos and videos. Which one do you recommend? I'm looking for something decent, not professional.

I don´t want to use reflex because of its weight in the binocular.

Thanks.

jomaiz

Re: Looking for camera

#2 Post by jomaiz » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:10 am

no one?

Hobbyst46

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:09 am

Just one advice - related to your question.

There are many vendors of relatively inexpensive USB "eyepiece cameras" that can be installed in the eyepiece tube, and they are small and light-weight. Some of them include relay optics, which I think are generic. They are 2-5MP mostly. A colleague told me that the image quality if OK.
Some are offered as "free shipping" or "Economy international shipping". From the far east.

If you order any of these, verify that shipping is safe and foolproof, insist of having a postal tracking number that you can rely on, even if you have to pay for it.
Based on my own bad experience.

jomaiz

#4 Post by jomaiz » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:09 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:Just one advice - related to your question.

There are many vendors of relatively inexpensive USB "eyepiece cameras" that can be installed in the eyepiece tube, and they are small and light-weight. Some of them include relay optics, which I think are generic. They are 2-5MP mostly. A colleague told me that the image quality if OK.
Some are offered as "free shipping" or "Economy international shipping". From the far east.

If you order any of these, verify that shipping is safe and foolproof, insist of having a postal tracking number that you can rely on, even if you have to pay for it.
Based on my own bad experience.
Thanks for the advise. I have seen that in Chinese pages the prices are lower but I would like to buy it in Europe.

Does anyone recommend me a model?

MichaelG.

#5 Post by MichaelG. » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:54 pm

jomaiz,

It's worth looking at the Moticam range
http://www.moticamseries.com/cameras_usb.html
http://www.moticeurope.com/company/company-profile-1/

Motic takes a slightly different approach, and uses a long-ish focus lens on the camera, thus retaining the use of the microscope eyepiece. [afocal imaging]

I've only used their older cameras ... but have been impressed by what I have seen of the newer ones; and the Software is excellent.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

JimT

#6 Post by JimT » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:24 pm

Jomaiz, check out this article from the home page of this site. In fact, check out the home page for a lot of other good info.

http://www.microbehunter.com/toupcam-s3 ... pe-camera/

Good luck.

JimT

Micro-Bob

#7 Post by Micro-Bob » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:17 am

Hi Jomaiz,
the Pentax Q7 and Nikon One J1-5 with their fast standard lenses are nice micro cameras to use above the eyepiece. Few people are happy with their eyepiece cameras for long.

Bob

jomaiz

#8 Post by jomaiz » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:10 pm

first of all sorry for my english and thanks for comment.
MichaelG. wrote:It's worth looking at the Moticam range
sure they give a lot of quality but I see them very expensive
JimT wrote:check out this article from the home page of this site. In fact, check out the home page for a lot of other good info.
http://www.microbehunter.com/toupcam-s3 ... pe-camera/
I think I've fallen in love with the Toupcam S3CMOS, it's just what I'm looking for, small, light, with sufficient resolution and fps and a contained price, I'll look for more information, thank you!
Micro-Bob wrote:Hi Jomaiz,
the Pentax Q7 and Nikon One J1-5 with their fast standard lenses are nice micro cameras to use above the eyepiece. Few people are happy with their eyepiece cameras for long
I would not like to use a camera because of its limited autonomy, making videos eat the batteries

jomaiz

#9 Post by jomaiz » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:54 pm

I have tried to place the reflex on the tripod, it is quite uncomfortable, getting the perfect fit is not easy, besides, it does not leave me much room to move.

I have had more time these days and I have been able to try the reflex in the microscope, I think I have lost the fear and seeing the quality of the images, I think it is not worth looking for a digital eyepiece. I will buy more rechargeable batteries to solve the issue of autonomy.

I leave you an example, thanks once more:

Hobbyst46

#10 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:22 am

Jomaiz

I am using a Canon mirrorless camera. It eats battery power intensively and I suspect the same happens with other brands.
The Canon battery charger is slow - takes hours to fully recharge.
Rather than buy more batteries, I found an AC adapter on eBay. Take the battery out, insert the adapter, plug in and that's it. The AC cable does not use any of the electronic inlets of the camera - it connects into a "dummy battery" that is part of the AC adapter kit.
The price was $16. Not a Canon original of course.

amanda1

#11 Post by amanda1 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:08 am

I would recommend USB 3.0 cameras Point Grey Flea3, you can find them here: https://www.ptgrey.com/flea3-usb3-vision-cameras , price is ok, I like the quality (I use it myself). I hope it'll help!

jomaiz

#12 Post by jomaiz » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:08 am

Hobbyst46 wrote: I found an AC adapter on eBay. Take the battery out, insert the adapter, plug in and that's it. The AC cable does not use any of the electronic inlets of the camera - it connects into a "dummy battery" that is part of the AC adapter kit.
I do not find anything similar for my camera, the pentax k-x. It would be a great solution.
amanda1 wrote:I would recommend USB 3.0 cameras Point Grey Flea3, you can find them here: https://www.ptgrey.com/flea3-usb3-vision-cameras , price is ok, I like the quality (I use it myself). I hope it'll help!
I think that at the moment I'm going to use the reflex.

Nance

#13 Post by Nance » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:06 am

this might be worth a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXAE-CLXGUE

Microbehunter
Published on Jan 20, 2018

Description: There are several ways of connecting a camera to a microscope and in this video I give an overview of the different adapters and camera systems.