Pantone pdf colour charts

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
75RR

Pantone pdf colour charts

#1 Post by 75RR » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:31 pm

These are two ‘green’ pantone pdf colour charts. They have been extracted from more extensive charts available from the Pantone website.

Why green? Well, we are apparently able to see a larger ‘range’ of green tones than any other colour,
making matching (i.e. remembering) the green shade we saw through the eyepieces with what we end up with on the other side of post processing, challenging.
This is particularly true if the post processing does not follow immediately after the image capture.

Curiously, since these charts as presented here are not meant to be used for colour accuracy in the industrial printing process (i.e. books and magazines etc)
– how closely your printer reproduces them is not critical, as they will still do their job as long as you have a varied range of green tones that you can use as a colour reference.
The only point is to make sure what we referenced in our chart matches what we saw through the eyepieces and the product of our post processing software.

EYEPIECES ➡︎ COLOUR CHART ➡︎ POST PROCESSED IMAGE

Getting the image on your monitor to then match what appears on the web and additionally what individual viewers see on their monitors is a further challenge.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2fssogt9itqwg ... K.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6zsqafzh84oi3 ... t.pdf?dl=0

Note: No need to join dropbox to download anything.
Just scroll to the bottom of the 'invite page' and press on 'No thanks, continue to view'
Then press download on top right of the page.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

MichaelG.

Re: Pantone pdf colour charts

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:50 pm

Thanks for those ... They could be very useful.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

McConkey

#3 Post by McConkey » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:33 am

Excellent resource!! Thank you for sharing!!

If i may add to the topic, replicating accurate colour is something i've always had an "OCD" issue with, to the point of spending obscene amounts of money on ridiculous "accurate" monitors and colour calibration devices...i'm nowhere near as bad as i used to be but for those interested in accurate colour you can use a Macbeth Colour Chart...they come in various sizes and costs but can be a great reference if printing accurate colours is something that interests you. They are also used to white balance your camera and a way to replicate accurate colours.

Monitor calibration plays a big part in accurate colours too...what i see on my monitor probably isn't what MichealG or 75RR see's. Having material like the one provided above is a really great resource, especially for a community like this where the identification of organisms happens on a daily basis! I always wonder how images look when others view them at home...am i blowing out highlights or over saturating it? Does it even look how i saw it through the eyepieces? etc...I'm terribly paranoid about not representing what i image accurately and so for me this is a really awesome thing for 75RR to share! I often wish we could all do a big community monitor calibration so i can sleep at night knowing we all see the same colours! :lol:

Thanks again!
Karl
AO21 with Canon M3

75RR

#4 Post by 75RR » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:28 am

I often wish we could all do a big community monitor calibration so i can sleep at night knowing we all see the same colours!
+1
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

MichaelG.

#5 Post by MichaelG. » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:22 am

McConkey wrote:Monitor calibration plays a big part in accurate colours too...what i see on my monitor probably isn't what MichealG or 75RR see's.
Very true ... and I must just add that what we each see is governed by many variables.

Leaving aside the fact that our perceptions are individual: The biggest 'modern' problem that I have found is that the colour rendition and contrast of LCD screens is so dependent upon viewing angle.

Years ago, I used an iiyama monitor with a Sony 'trinitron' CRT, and I have yet to find an LCD screen that can match it.
... My iMac is quite 'forgiving' but the appearance of the MacBook Pro laptop screen changes significantly with viewing angle.

Colour matching is an enormously complex issue, and anything that helps simplify it is welcome.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'