Nikon cameras for Optiphot -- beginner's questions.

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
SutherlandDesmids

Nikon cameras for Optiphot -- beginner's questions.

#1 Post by SutherlandDesmids » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:36 pm

The very kind man who has sold me the Optiphot also sent photographs of an adapter he has enclosed, a Nikon UFX unit with the analogue parts removed and rendered light-tight to serve as a digital adapter, and also a 5x projection eyepiece. In theory a Nikon full-frame camera will suit very well to replace the old film unit with exactly the same dimensions as the film, but these are really rather expensive and I would like very much to get some opinions on using Nikon cameras, particularly tethered to a computer [Nikon Camera Control 2?]. I believe Live View removes many disadvantages caused by the mirror.

In the case of a mirrorless camera is there extra work needed? There is less distance between flange and sensor than in a camera with a mirror box.

I certainly cannot afford a camera that possesses both qualities, i.e. mirrorless and full frame which would mean a Nikon Z6 or Z7, both of which are far beyond my funds.

If the smaller sensor needs very little work it may be better to buy a less expensive mirrorless camera with a less-than-35mm sensor.

My contact has offered an enormous amount of help so I'm trying to do a good bit of research and inquiry on my own to match it.

Sadly I am not doing especially well with the literature which often assumes a background I lack.

One field of inquiry he suggested I take up is non-Nikon cameras -- I know adapting the camera to fit the Nikon coupling is easy, as commercial adapters are easily found, but I also know that a Nikon projection eyepiece will project a real image to coincide with the plane of a Nikon camera sensor only.
Attachments
unnamed (2).jpg
unnamed (2).jpg (51.02 KiB) Viewed 6571 times
Last edited by SutherlandDesmids on Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If you march your Winter Journeys you will have your reward, so long as all you want is a penguin's egg.”

-- Apsley Cherry-Garrard, 'The Worst Journey in the World' vol. ii p. 578

PeteM

Re: Nikon cameras for Optiphot -- beginner's questions.

#2 Post by PeteM » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:49 pm

A full frame Nikon D750 camera, while still $1400 new, would be full frame, with live view, and less expensive than the alternatives you were looking at.

Typically, a full frame Nikon camera wants a 2.5x projection eyepiece to fill the frame. A smaller sensor would want an even smaller (e.g. 2x or under) projection eyepiece - which would be difficult and $$$ to find.
Last edited by PeteM on Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hobbyst46

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:53 pm

Most models of mirrorless Canon cameras produced so far do not support direct tethering to a computer, irrespective of the software. I recommend that with any mirrorless camera that you think about, verify that tethering is supported.

MicroBob

#4 Post by MicroBob » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:56 am

Hi Patrick,
nice to see that you found a good microscope so quickly! I'm sure that we will get to see some interesting results from your work here.

For the choice of a microscope camera shutter shock is an important criterium. The camera should have electronic first shutter curtain to release from live view without shutter shock. One wouldn't expect this from a ridgid setup like a microscope, but the shutter shock does blur the images to a considerable degree. Most DSLRs close and reopen the shutter before capture and are second class for microscope photography. There are Nikon full frame cameras with EFSC, but only some models have it. Some Canons do as well, and some Sonys. Haken (HKV in the forum) wrote about his Sony A9 here and how it can be released from Capture One RAW converter - a great setup. This also works with some other Sony DSLM like some A7 and A6500, but not with my basic A6000.

If you don't find a good way to adapt a full frame camera over a projective you could also use an eyepiece for use with glasses and a pancake lans on the camera, 40mm for APS-C or 60mm for full frame would be perfect, but 35mm and 50mm would do.

Bob

SutherlandDesmids

#5 Post by SutherlandDesmids » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:52 pm

My sincerest thanks. I have been digging a little on Nikon's website -- of the full frame cameras given there the D750 is the lowest grade to have EFCS, but the price is prohibitive. It would actually be significantly cheaper to buy a lesser camera and one of the made-to-order eight-hundred Euro adapter from LMScope.

I don't know where to begin with secondhand cameras -- is there a Nikon forum?

The matter must not be as impenetrable as I find it, there will be a solution. I suspect at least part of my problem is reasoning from theory before I've actually handled the equipment, but you have my sincerest thanks. Elementary photography is beating me :oops:!

Incidentally, if I didn't live in such a remote place (two hundred miles north of Edinburgh, fifty north of Inverness) I'd inquire if someone could simply demonstrate coupling a camera in person.
“If you march your Winter Journeys you will have your reward, so long as all you want is a penguin's egg.”

MicroBob

#6 Post by MicroBob » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:59 pm

If you want full frame and EFSC you should look what canon had on offer with this combination. An older Sony A7 would also be nice.
When you use an eyepiece and a camera lens you could use Canon 500 600 etc., some Sonys and Micro Four Thirds and Nikon 1J5.

MicroBob

#7 Post by MicroBob » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:03 pm

If you want full frame and EFSC you should look what canon had on offer with this combination. An older Sony A7 would also be nice.
When you use an eyepiece and a camera lens you could use Canon 500 600 etc., some Sonys and Micro Four Thirds and Nikon 1J5.

Perhaps you just start working with your microscope and look for the perfect camera solution later.

SutherlandDesmids

#8 Post by SutherlandDesmids » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:41 pm

Eminently good idea!

75RR

#9 Post by 75RR » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:11 am

Incidentally, if I didn't live in such a remote place (two hundred miles north of Edinburgh, fifty north of Inverness) I'd inquire if someone could simply demonstrate coupling a camera in person.
There is no substitute for a hands on lesson or the chance to play with different microscopes.

I would suggest that you look into microscopy groups in Edinburgh and make initial contact.

If you ever do get down there (for whatever reason) you can make the most of your visit even if you have solved your camera issue by then.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)