40.5mm to eyepiece tube adapter?

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
psteichen

40.5mm to eyepiece tube adapter?

#1 Post by psteichen » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:00 am

My digital camera has 40.5mm female threads for attaching 40.5mm filters and lenses. Does anyone make a 40.5mm to eyepiece tube adapter? Or maybe a combination of two adapters to accomplish the same thing?

MicroBob

Re: 40.5mm to eyepiece tube adapter?

#2 Post by MicroBob » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:32 am

Hi,
I use Pentax Q and Nikon 1J5 cameras as microscope camera. Here are two adapters, one with Leitz Periplan correction eyepiece, one with Zeiss Jena P non-correction eyepiece fpr use with stereo microscopes.
url:
https://picload.org/view/dccadalw/kamer ... m.jpg.html
img:

The thread is 0,5mm pitch so it would be difficult to 3D-print it. You might use a filter ring for the thread and add a 3D-printed tube to it.
Eyepiece outer diameter in not standardized so the adapter has to be made to fit the eyepiece you actually want to use.

Bob

MichaelG.

#3 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:45 am

With the greatest repect, Bob
... I believe that the standard pitch for filter rings is 0.75mm not 0.5

Sincere apologies if your cameras use 0.5mm

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

MicroBob

#4 Post by MicroBob » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:43 pm

MichaelG. wrote:... I believe that the standard pitch for filter rings is 0.75mm not 0.5
MichaelG.
Hi Michael,
the best thing about standards is that everybody has it's own! :lol:

Nearly all filter threads are 0,75mm pitch, but newer 40,5mm Pentax and Nikon lenses have a pitch of 0,5mm.

Bob

psteichen

#5 Post by psteichen » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:55 pm

MicroBob wrote: Nearly all filter threads are 0,75mm pitch, but newer 40,5mm Pentax and Nikon lenses have a pitch of 0,5mm.
My camera (and the filter mount) are Olympus, so I'm not sure about the thread pitch, I only know that supposedly it accepts 40.5mm filters.

Bob, where did you get those adapters? I'm having a hard time finding anything off-the-shelf. I did find this:

Novagrade 40.5mm Digiscoping Adapter for Olympus Stylus TOUGH TG-Series Digital Cameras https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C6NF14S/

...but at $200, that's more than double what I payed for my microscope (used at Tech school auction)!

MichaelG.

#6 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:38 pm

MicroBob wrote:
MichaelG. wrote:... I believe that the standard pitch for filter rings is 0.75mm not 0.5
MichaelG.
Hi Michael,
the best thing about standards is that everybody has it's own! :lol:

Nearly all filter threads are 0,75mm pitch, but newer 40,5mm Pentax and Nikon lenses have a pitch of 0,5mm.

Bob
I stand corrected
... Today is a good day: I have learned something.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

MicroBob

#7 Post by MicroBob » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:23 pm

psteichen wrote:[Bob, where did you get those adapters? I'm having a hard time finding anything off-the-shelf.
There will be no off-the-shelf solution. The outer diameter of the eyepieces varies widely ven within the rage of one manufacturer. I turned my adapters on the lathe, one from a scrap piece of installation material (brass), one from PVC solid material.
What you can do ist to buy a cheap filter so you have the fine thread and make the cylindrical part with whatever means you have and glue the parts together. If you can make a 3d model you could have the cylindrical part printed from a print service.

With which name can we adress you?

Bob

psteichen

#8 Post by psteichen » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:27 pm

MicroBob wrote: With which name can we adress you?
Thanks for the ideas Bob!

Paul

MicroBob

#9 Post by MicroBob » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:31 pm

MichaelG. wrote:... Today is a good day: I have learned something.MichaelG.
Hi Michael,
I learned about the unusual diamter the hard way: I turned a fitting for an achromatic closeup lens with 40,5mm x 0,75mm thread...
No problem: The modern lenses have plastic filter threads! :mrgreen:

Bob

Hobbyst46

#10 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:04 pm

If the challenge is camera lens to OUTER diameter of eyepiece tube, and if no better solution is found, perhaps this:

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... focal.html
I am using such 1.25" to 49mm adapter. Either find a 1.25" to 40.5mm adapter, or a 1.25" to X, where X is the available thread size (42mm, 49mm etc), combined with a 40.5mm to X adapter. However, instead on relying on the thumb-screws for centration, I inserted a custom made PVC cylinder between the eyepiece tube and the inside of the adapter tube, to serve as spacer.

If, instead, the challenge is camera lens to INNER diameter of eyepiece tube, I am afraid that a custom-made part is needed. perhaps one can employ the metal tube of a long scrap eyepiece, that fits exactly within the eyepiece tube. Sometimes one has old junk 5X eyepieces that can be dismantled and the components reused for other purposes.

MichaelG.

#11 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:02 pm

MicroBob wrote: No problem: The modern lenses have plastic filter threads! :mrgreen:
Ouch !!

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

desertrat

#12 Post by desertrat » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:16 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:If the challenge is camera lens to OUTER diameter of eyepiece tube, and if no better solution is found, perhaps this:

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... focal.html
I am using such 1.25" to 49mm adapter. Either find a 1.25" to 40.5mm adapter, or a 1.25" to X, where X is the available thread size (42mm, 49mm etc), combined with a 40.5mm to X adapter. However, instead on relying on the thumb-screws for centration, I inserted a custom made PVC cylinder between the eyepiece tube and the inside of the adapter tube, to serve as spacer.

If, instead, the challenge is camera lens to INNER diameter of eyepiece tube, I am afraid that a custom-made part is needed. perhaps one can employ the metal tube of a long scrap eyepiece, that fits exactly within the eyepiece tube. Sometimes one has old junk 5X eyepieces that can be dismantled and the components reused for other purposes.
Just occurred to me, if there is no old junk eyepiece on hand, a deep 5X huygenian eyepiece can be bought on Ebay from China for about $10.
Rick

A/O 10 Series Microstar
A/O 4 Series Microstar
A/O 4 Series Phasestar
A/O 4 Series Apostar
A/O Cycloptic Stereo
Several old monocular scopes in more or less decrepit but usable condition

MichaelG.

#13 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:06 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:... If, instead, the challenge is camera lens to INNER diameter of eyepiece tube, I am afraid that a custom-made part is needed. perhaps one can employ the metal tube of a long scrap eyepiece, that fits exactly within the eyepiece tube. Sometimes one has old junk 5X eyepieces that can be dismantled and the components reused for other purposes.
Forgive me if I am missing a trick, but: Why would one wish to do that ?

The use of a camera lens implies afocal photography, and thus the requirement for a functional eyepiece rather an empty tube.
... An adaptor to fit a good eyepiece [e.g. Leitz Periplan] onto the camera lens is, of course, another matter.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

MicroBob

#14 Post by MicroBob » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:25 pm

@Michael,
it would be possible to connect an RMS eyepiece tube to filter thread adapter to a lens mount adapter. But there would have to be a projecive and no camera lens then.
My impression is that most people have the best results with the eyepiece - camera lens - camera body adaptation. But this might be influenced by the fact that so many people use finity optics.

The Nikon 1J5 has been in use on our last group meeting: I brought my plancton aquarium and a stereo microscope with a universal stand and connected the Nikon to our new full-HD TV.
I really like these small and light camera adaptations for use in different microscopes.

Bob

Hobbyst46

#15 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:44 pm

@MichaelG
About the first option that I thought of - the PVC spacer that I insert between the camera-lens adapter and the eyepiece tube serves to affix the adapter via the spacer onto the the outer side of the eyepiece TUBE. This is mechanically better than the declared purpose of the adapter, namely, using 3 thin thumb-screws to make contact between the adapter and the outer side of the EYEPIECE. Of course, it depends on the dimensions of the eyepiece tube; I assumed that the outer diameter was about 25mm, like in mine.
About the second option - yes I fully agree with your comment, but since I was not sure about the aim of the adapter, just added that.