Camera comparison MA500 vs 14Mp digital HDMI

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
Radazz

Camera comparison MA500 vs 14Mp digital HDMI

#1 Post by Radazz » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:04 pm

Just a comparison of two cameras on an Olympus SZ40 stereo microscope.
Combination of ring light and back light.
No stacking, single shot with both cameras. Praying Mantis embedded in Lucite.

First, the 5 Mp AMScope MA500 teathered to a laptop using the provided capture software.

Next, a 14 Mp digital microscope and inspection camera with an SD card. This one requires an HDMI monitor.

I see the 14 Mp digital on eBay all the time, with this 23mm eyepiece snoot, or with a microscope lens on a rack. as stated, this one does not connect to a computer, but records images and video right onto an SD card. It requires a monitor. Then the card can be read into a computer for post editing or stacking.

Anyway, I don't think there is any contest, the second camera gets a far clearer image. the AMScope camera is, however, lighter and better suited to an eyepiece application.
Also, both cameras have a very small field of view compared to my Canon EOS 7D DSLR, but the latter is very precarious in an eyepiece application.

Hope this helps someone decide.
Radazz
Arnold, Missouri
Olympus IX70
Olympus BX40
Olympus SZ40

einman

Re: Camera comparison MA500 vs 14Mp digital HDMI

#2 Post by einman » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:18 am

I have seen the 2nd camera or ones like it posted on E-bay and often wondered about the quality. You can't tether it to a laptop? As I recall they seemed to have a lot of features.

Radazz

Re: Camera comparison MA500 vs 14Mp digital HDMI

#3 Post by Radazz » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:42 pm

It does have a USB port, but the software leaves a great deal to be desired. Once I got used to using the camera’s internal software, there was no comparison. There is a remote control to set off the shutter without touching it. There’s also a slight delay between pressing the button and taking the picture that dampens the contact vibration.
The camera is designed for stand alone inspection, I think.
The camera will not function without an SD card, and the 8” HDMI monitor I found takes up much less workspace than a laptop. IMHO, the image is worth the learning curve.
Radazz
Arnold, Missouri
Olympus IX70
Olympus BX40
Olympus SZ40