First Entry: Dedicated Camera (not DSLR) Hardware for Photo Tube

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
linuxusr

First Entry: Dedicated Camera (not DSLR) Hardware for Photo Tube

#1 Post by linuxusr » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:26 pm

I need some help sorting some of my assumptions/plans:

(1) I have opted for a dedicated camera rather than a DSLR as I have confirmed that a DSLR is not compatible with my trinoc and must be inserted into an eye tube. The Zeiss C-Mount/Adapter comes in two configs, identical cost:

a. 0.5x C-Mount
b. 0.65x C-Mount

Could you clarify this specification? My understanding is that 0.5x refers to a ½ inch CMOS sensor and that the 0.65x refers to a 13/20 inch CMOS (of the camera). [See chart below for clarification]. That means that I should first select the camera before selecting the C-Mount. Is that correct?

Re: a trinoc, are there any other specs I need to know?

(When I rotate the head of my microscope I see a recessed Ethernet port in the body. Do you think that that is designed exclusively for the Zeiss Axiocam system or can it have a use for third-party hardware?)

(2) Zeiss’ Axiocam 208, a whopping $1,750.00 USD is past my budget and needs, yet their budget no-name brand, DCM5.3 5.1 Megapixel Digital camera, which likely comes from the “phototonics” company in China that is also the source of its software at touptek.com, at ~$650.00 very well might be over-priced. (BTW, I confirmed that that camera is compatible with the 0.5x CMOS). And also, FYI, in another thread where I discussed installing the software for this camera on Linux, from the Chinese website, touptek.com, I did have success and I did receive a helpful response from China (in English) to my request for assistance. The problem was that this website developed software for Linux but lacked complete documentation. This site sells myriad cameras and software for microscopy. I suspect that they are the seller for the no name brand option sold by microscopeworld.com that would be compatible with my Zeiss microscope.

Since I am not interested in techniques such as “3-D” photo stacking, but “plain vanilla” passable quality digital capture, I might be best off starting with a less expensive cam than the above and seeing if that suits my purposes. If not, I could upgrade later.

75RR suggested taking a look at a Swift unit at Amazon:

[/https://www.amazon.com/Megapixel-Micr ... rtID=39079

However, strangely, although it appears that 0.5x and 0.65x C-Mounts are standard sizes (as I find at microscopeworld.com for my Zeiss microscope, as well as in the chart that I cited above, then why is it that it appears that 0.5x is not available for Swift or Amscope?

Any other manufacturers that I could look at that are not of The BIG FOUR and would be compatible with my C-Mount?

Your help with any of these myriad questions will be greatly appreciated.
Nikon AlphaPhot 2 < Zeiss Primostar 3, Full Köhler; Axiocam 208 Color < UHD LG
Aller Anfang ist schwer.

Dubious

Re: First Entry: Dedicated Camera (not DSLR) Hardware for Photo Tube

#2 Post by Dubious » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:25 pm

FWIW, I get reasonable results from the 5MB USB3 Amscope MU503B C-mount camera, which comes with a .5x reduction lens and software:

https://www.amscope.com/cameras/usb/50m ... amera.html

They also have a cheaper USB 2.0 version.