DSLR sensor heat - an issue?

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
Sauerkraut

DSLR sensor heat - an issue?

#1 Post by Sauerkraut » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:04 pm

I'm trying to make a final decision on a DSLR and was wondering if the camera is used for live view onto a monitor, does the sensor heat up? If so, is it wise to consider a camera with a faster processor that uses less energy and therefore produces less heat during an extended viewing? Or is the heat increase a non-factor? Does live view even work well?

I was looking at the Canon SL2 vs SL3 (200D vs 250D) in this case. Each has advantages over the other making it a bit of a toss up, so if there is a critical difference that matters to microphotography, it would help with the decision.

mrsonchus

Re: DSLR sensor heat - an issue?

#2 Post by mrsonchus » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:09 pm

Sauerkraut wrote:I'm trying to make a final decision on a DSLR and was wondering if the camera is used for live view onto a monitor, does the sensor heat up? If so, is it wise to consider a camera with a faster processor that uses less energy and therefore produces less heat during an extended viewing? Or is the heat increase a non-factor? Does live view even work well?

I was looking at the Canon SL2 vs SL3 (200D vs 250D) in this case. Each has advantages over the other making it a bit of a toss up, so if there is a critical difference that matters to microphotography, it would help with the decision.
Hi, I don't know about the heat, but I use a 200D which I chose as it has a high-end Digic 7 processor for the price. I can confirm that it works on my Windows 10 Lenovo laptop with the canon Utility v3 software, perfectly.

The 200D has a huge dynamic range and produces superb (24mp) images through my 'scope. I never use the wifi capability or anything other than the live-view (set so that the camera's display is off) of Utility 3. I've had no issues whatsoever with it. All I do is close the liveview window when I'm not actually using it - such as when I'm selecting slides or scanning for special areas of a slide.

Used sensibly - not in a restricted manner, just not left-on in liveview for ages, I've had no problems at all.
John B

Sauerkraut

#3 Post by Sauerkraut » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:04 am

Thanks very much for the response mrsonchus. Sounds like either one will work very well.

Heather

MicroBob

#4 Post by MicroBob » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:32 am

Hi Heather,

I think in astrophotography this is a more common question, maybe you can find some hints there. As far as I know the sensor noise is increased when the temperature rises. This is especially a problem with low light - in microscopy no problem as long as you have a powerful light unit. The performance of different cameras in this situation will be very difficult to predict and evaluate without a very precise comparative test.

When choosing a camera I would first look for EFSC and whether the camera can be used the way I intend to. Some microscopists like the Canons for their tethering ability to a PC, some prefer tethering to Android or a user interface that allows comfortable stand-alone use. For stand-alone-use it is nice to have a simple IR remote control and a screen that tilts in the right direction. Depending on the type of adaptation you also need a pancake camera lens of the right focal length.

Bob