Camera to fit a Zeiss TV Tube

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
MikeBradley

Camera to fit a Zeiss TV Tube

#1 Post by MikeBradley » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:01 am

I've been lucky enough to acquire a Zeiss W.Germany long TV tube (47-79-01-990)1 with the C-mount adapter to attach to my C.Z. Standard WL. When coupled to an APS-C camera with an adapter it projects a full FOV to the camera sensor, ideal when used for outreach. To make full use of this new acquisition I'll probably buy a new camera and I'm wondering what suggestions as to suitable cameras might be forthcoming from the group? I'd like the ability to save images, either to a laptop or a memory card and some form of live view is essential. I have been thinking about the Canon M100 as a possibility, right format, mirrorless for direct coupling etc, but it is at the limit of my budget, something less costly would be preferred.
Suggestions please.
Thanks
Michael
Olympus BH2,
AO110
Carl Zeiss Standard WL
Canon 90D

75RR

Re: Camera to fit a Zeiss TV Tube

#2 Post by 75RR » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:42 am

You could try used, it is surprising how little use some people give their cameras.

Here is one 'body only' that may suit you: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-M100-M ... ition=3000
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Hobbyst46

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:15 am

MikeBradley wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:01 am
I've been lucky enough to acquire a Zeiss W.Germany long TV tube (47-79-01-990)1 with the C-mount adapter to attach to my C.Z. Standard WL. When coupled to an APS-C camera with an adapter it projects a full FOV to the camera sensor, ideal when used for outreach. To make full use of this new acquisition I'll probably buy a new camera and I'm wondering what suggestions as to suitable cameras might be forthcoming from the group? I'd like the ability to save images, either to a laptop or a memory card and some form of live view is essential. I have been thinking about the Canon M100 as a possibility, right format, mirrorless for direct coupling etc, but it is at the limit of my budget, something less costly would be preferred.
Suggestions please.
Thanks
Michael
I suggest against a Canon M100. The whole Canon M series suffers from a major defect from the aspect of microscopy: No live streaming to PC in real time. No computer software control - neither with the Canon Utility nor with third party softwares. They can be partially controlled from Android devices (phone, tablet) but it is a sub standard solution IMHO. The only exception AFAIK is the Canon M50. This relatively new camera CAN be remote controlled from PC.
Another possibility is Canon R, but in a higher price range.

jfiresto

#4 Post by jfiresto » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:20 am

So far, I have been quite pleased with the nearly unused Olympus E-PL7 I picked up, to mount on a Wild Heerbrugg, one-inch-sensor, C-mount port, with no intermediate optics. I think the aspect ratio and cropping of its µ4/3 sensor is a better match than I would get with the wider APS-C sensors. The camera has an effective, 0 s, anti-shutter-shock setting, and the entire setup is quite light, so you don't have to crank up the microscope focus tension. I have not yet tried tethering to a smart phone or tablet, to check out its live view and remote control, but I will. The tethering's big limitation (for me) is that it doesn't support raw image files. I suspect they were considered too large and slow to wirelessly transfer. Olympus's JPEGs are also very good. I am wiring the camera, so that the camera with raw files appears as a networked disk drive. [The previous post appeared as I was writing this one.]

I bought my cleaned, checked and guaranteed E-PL7 from a nearby camera store for 149 euros. Andorama is currently closing out its successor, the E-PL8 with a kit lens, for US$289.99. That is a pretty good deal.

I have sort of committed myself to writing an article about adding the E-PL7. If it or the E-PL8 or E-PL9 look promising – all three are similar as microscope cameras – I would be happy to research the M100 a little, to look for issues you might consider and how the cameras address them.
-John

Scarodactyl

#5 Post by Scarodactyl » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:07 pm

I use a canon eos t6, which I got used. I like it a lot. Easy computer coupling and control, and they sre fairly inexpensive used (the last one I picked uo was 175usd).

MikeBradley

#6 Post by MikeBradley » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:39 am

Thanks for these responses to my question, It was especially useful to hear the concern raised about the M100 in this application, the missing features are important ones for my applications. Other ideas are still welcome of course!
Michael
Olympus BH2,
AO110
Carl Zeiss Standard WL
Canon 90D