Toupview (Lite) in Ubuntu linux

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
cuxlander

Toupview (Lite) in Ubuntu linux

#1 Post by cuxlander » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:24 pm

Hello,
has anyone managed to run this software in Ubuntu?
I cannot load this program at all.
Thanks,
Hans

Essaouira

Re: Toupview (Lite) in Ubuntu linux

#2 Post by Essaouira » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:59 pm

Some usb cameras doesn't work in Linux, but you can use Virtualbox with a Windows installation and surely it will work. I use Kubuntu, which I love, with Win XP in Virtualbox for emergencies.
Best regards
Zeiss Jena Nf, Zeiss Jena LU, Lomo MBR-1/MBR-3, Leitz Laborlux II, Jiangnan Lg-copy, PZO Stereo

cuxlander

#3 Post by cuxlander » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:28 pm

Thanks Essaouira,

I like the look-and-feel of Ubuntu. But as selection of software is so much limited and difficult to install I am happily back to Win10.

Greetings,
Hans

willscranton

#4 Post by willscranton » Mon May 04, 2020 2:40 am

Gents:

Greeting: 1st post:

Running Ubuntu 18.04/Xeon-1240/MSI-GD55/NV-660/24-G Crucial/ 2x 1-T HDD computer: Used Zeiss parts assembled for phase-contrast scope W/5-MP USB-3 OMAX camera.

Got OMAX camera & Toupview-lite software installed today. Cranked-up a phase image. I connected my camera to a USB-3 port . Copied file from OMAX CD. Extracted Linux file Touplite64.tar.bz2 by:

tar -xvjf *.tar.bz2 ... onto my 2nd HDD. An *.sh file appears as output.

Use ... "./*.sh" no-quotes to run that script . The Touplite icon appeared on my desktop.

I needed to restart my computer before software use , or get a greyed image-screen ... how weird. After the computer re-starts, CLICK on the Touplite icon and the UI appears with image-frame still greyed.

Then ... to the left UI side ... CLICK on your listed camera-version and the microscope image appears.

Taking and saving images is very obscure. Hit the SNAP button and a jpg is written to my /home//NAME/pictures directory on HDD #1 ! ... I guess you can change this, but you get no clue from the software. That's where I am right now.

Good luck ... Windows is not needed; I've been a casual Linux usr for 10 WINDOWless years.

ws

linuxusr

#5 Post by linuxusr » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:40 pm

For me success and failure . . .

I must vet and successfully run this program before I buy the ~$600.00 camera (5.1 megapixel Microscope Camera with Basic Software DCM5.3). Hardware is only as good as its software.

After I downloaded the program I extracted the zip file and got ToupTekToupLite.x64.sh the shell script for installing the program.
I gave myself permission to execute it. I then ran the script and the output indicated successful install.

However, I cannot run the program. After a reboot, the GUI app is nowhere to be found. I checked the website touptek.com and I cannot find any Linux documentation. Most companies that write programs for Linux take the added responsibility of writing documentation. I have emailed the company asking for assistance.

Does anyone have a solution for this problem: The program installs but does not run . . . Meanwhile, I'll probably start over and record a record of the command line text from start to finish, as I'll need this for more exact troubleshooting.
Nikon AlphaPhot 2 < Zeiss Primostar 3, Full Köhler; Axiocam 208 Color < UHD LG
Aller Anfang ist schwer.

dtsh

#6 Post by dtsh » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:03 pm

linuxusr wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:40 pm
For me success and failure . . .

I must vet and successfully run this program before I buy the ~$600.00 camera (5.1 megapixel Microscope Camera with Basic Software DCM5.3). Hardware is only as good as its software.

After I downloaded the program I extracted the zip file and got ToupTekToupLite.x64.sh the shell script for installing the program.
I gave myself permission to execute it. I then ran the script and the output indicated successful install.

However, I cannot run the program. After a reboot, the GUI app is nowhere to be found. I checked the website touptek.com and I cannot find any Linux documentation. Most companies that write programs for Linux take the added responsibility of writing documentation. I have emailed the company asking for assistance.

Does anyone have a solution for this problem: The program installs but does not run . . . Meanwhile, I'll probably start over and record a record of the command line text from start to finish, as I'll need this for more exact troubleshooting.
I have zero experience with that software, but I'll try to assist where I can.
Probably the easiest is for me to install it in a testbed and see where things go. Do you have a URL for downloading it? It shouldn't make much difference, but what distribution are you using?

linuxusr

#7 Post by linuxusr » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:28 pm

@dtsh

I am running Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS

Here's my complete output:
From touptek.com I downloaded ToupTekToupLite.x86.tar.bz2
Terminal: tar -xvjf ditto
Terminal: sudo chmod +x ToupTekToupLite.x86.sh
Terminal: ./ToupTekToupLite.x86.sh
Terminal: install ToupLite ok

Then I get this output (a doc. generated):
ToupLite.desktop[Read-Only]
1. Desktop Entry
2. Version = 1.0
3. Type = Application
4. Terminal = False
5. Exec = /usr/local/ToupLite/touplite
6. Name = ToupLite
7 Icon = /usr/local/ToupLite/touplite.png

And when I went to /usr/local/ToupLite I could confirm that all was intact.

My hunch is that #5 Exec I should cd to in order to ./ but nothing I tried worked.
Aller Anfang ist schwer.

linuxusr

#8 Post by linuxusr » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:30 pm

OP: So in brief: successful install; run fail.
Aller Anfang ist schwer.

Marc

#9 Post by Marc » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:15 am

maybe you can try with the ImageFocus Alpha for Linux, from Euromex.
I believe the same Toupview software although different version

https://www.euromex.com/en/download/

dtsh

#10 Post by dtsh » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:29 am

I installed it in a test machine here, seems to work for me, but I'm a command line jockey and I probably do things differently than most.
If you open a terminal and run "/usr/local/ToupLite/touplite" I'm guesing it'll either launch or you'll get an error. If you get an error, run "file /usr/local/ToupLite/touplite" and "uname -m" (from the terminal).
I think we'll get you sorted out.

Edit:
linuxusr wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:28 pm
I am running Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS
I spun up Ubuntu 20.04 for testing, so that's a match.
linuxusr wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:28 pm
From touptek.com I downloaded ToupTekToupLite.x86.tar.bz2
On review, I think this might be the root, unless your computer is quite old, or an ARM processor; I'm betting it's not 32bit. If you open a terminal and run "uname -m" I bet it says "x86_64". If it does, your solution is to get the second link on ToupCam's site for the 64 bit version. http://www.touptek.com//upload/download ... 64.tar.bz2

You will probably want to delete the other version first then repeat as before, but with the 64bit version.

linuxusr

#11 Post by linuxusr » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:04 pm

Yes, the 32 bit install was my error. I will purge and install the 64 bit version.
Yes, it's now confirmed that I must ./ from usr/local. I think that that read only output gives me the name of the file that I must execute.

I live in the Dominican Republic and the electricity has been off since yesterday. The next step is no water as the pump will not run . . . May be a bit before I get to my main machine :-)

I never throw up my hands in despair running Linux. I almost always solve my problems, albeit, with a little help. Tenacity wins the day.

I'll get back to you and report my code if I have a problem. Thanks much.
Aller Anfang ist schwer.

linuxusr

#12 Post by linuxusr » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:10 pm

I think touplite (lower case) is the .png icon. I think I'll just need ./ToupLite (or whatever the file is; can't see it now). We'll see. Lots of playing around = "no harm, no foul." I'll get this!
Aller Anfang ist schwer.

dtsh

#13 Post by dtsh » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:23 pm

linuxusr wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:04 pm
Yes, the 32 bit install was my error. I will purge and install the 64 bit version.
Yes, it's now confirmed that I must ./ from usr/local. I think that that read only output gives me the name of the file that I must execute.
Good to hear you got it sorted.
From my test machine if I call it with the full path (./usr/local/ToupLite/touplite) it seemed to run fine.
I suppose if one wanted to cd and exec it'd be trivial to do as an alias and I'm sure the desktop has a way too.
linuxusr wrote:
I live in the Dominican Republic and the electricity has been off since yesterday. The next step is no water as the pump will not run . . . May be a bit before I get to my main machine :-)
I wish you luck in things being restored to normal. I've lived in places where electricity and running water were unavailable or at least unreliable; even a small solar array is a nice thing when such is the norm.
linuxusr wrote:
I never throw up my hands in despair running Linux. I almost always solve my problems, albeit, with a little help. Tenacity wins the day.
Agreed! That all of us will struggle with software at some point is a given and it doesn't matter what OS it's on. Linux has served me well for decades, I certainly can't complain about the capability or cost. So many seem intimidated by it's perceived complexity, but Windows and MacOS are just as complex, just more familiar.

linuxusr

#14 Post by linuxusr » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:00 pm

@dtsh

The electricity is on and my program is up and running--first time, ran immediately. I didn't realize it at first but the README gave me the clues to installation. Also, it seems that this program does not install as an independent GUI but only runs from CLII which is fine. Now I have to vet this software.
Aller Anfang ist schwer.

linuxusr

#15 Post by linuxusr » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:46 pm

OP:

I am successfully running the toutek software in Linux. I haven't vetted the quality of the software yet because I don't have a camera! In fact, I have just now ordered my Zeiss C-Mount.

That being said, if anyone needs help with the Linux download, install and run directions, I will be able to clarify them--now that I finally got it, partly with the help of members here.
Aller Anfang ist schwer.