Leitz Laborlux S with Canon T3i

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
scottybee

Leitz Laborlux S with Canon T3i

#1 Post by scottybee » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:50 pm

Hello guys I have a Leitz Laborlux S microscope.
It has two head sections one with just the two eyepieces and one with the two eyepieces and a third post for a camera.

This top part for the camera is marked 1.25X again I am assuming this is the lens that is in the tube not a dimension. I have measured this and it has an ID of about 38mm.
I have a Canon T3i that I would like to find an adaptor for.

I have looked at the links that Oliver has given to Amazon but the ones there seem to be to small. I have a lath and I can make a reducing collar to make the Amazon one fit but thought I would ask first to see if you guys could make a better suggestion.
Thank you.
Scott

Scarodactyl

Re: Leitz Laborlux S with Canon T3i

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:46 am

I haven't done it on a laborlux, just a dialux and ortholux II, but usually leitz systems used an afocal arrangement with a flat lens over an eyepiece. So you'd get a 38mm od adapter that accepts a 23mm eyepiece and puts it in focus, then there would be an arrangement to suspend a camera with a lens over it. The leitz lens is something like a 60mm, marked 0,32x, and is ok but not great. A pancake lens focused to infinity (50mm for full frame 40mm for aps c) will work better.
This could easily be 3d printed (and I'd be happy to post measurements from mine), but the 38mm to eyepiece adapter is not that expensive (40ish bucks on a good day) on eBay, and has a 40mm od that you can clamp onto the outside of to suspend the camera lens over it.

scottybee

#3 Post by scottybee » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:41 pm

Hello, Scarodactyl, thank you for the reply.
I have been looking back through several pages of posts here and I see a few guys referring to this adaptor from AmScope

https://www.amscope.com/canon-slr-dslr- ... copes.html

And I found this adaptor on E-bay

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Leitz-Microscop ... Sw14hcebKa

Do you think this will work?

Thank you
Scott

Scarodactyl

#4 Post by Scarodactyl » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:08 pm

The amcope adapter is no good for this, since you need a leitz eyepiece in there to finish the corrections for the objective. The second one is the correct adapter (particularly for 170mm tube length leitz objectives). It holds a periplan eyepiece and you can clamp the camera above.
Here's a post where I described my configuration: viewtopic.php?p=70209#p70209

scottybee

#5 Post by scottybee » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:57 pm

Thank you for your help, I think I will need to read that post a few times as this is all new to me but I will work through it and figure it out.
Thank you again, Scott