Choosing the correct camera for Microscope photography

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
AntoniScott

Choosing the correct camera for Microscope photography

#1 Post by AntoniScott » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:21 pm

I just watched an inetersting video by our moderator, Oliver, on calculating the size (in Megapixels) for a camera requirement for micro-photography.The video was informative in one way but lacking in another. I still don't know what size camera to get for my microscope.

When I first decided to take pictures I always thought that more megapixels was the way to go. However, the company that I bought my microscope from (not AmScope or OMAX) said that 3 or 4 megapixels would be sufficient so bought a camera from them. I returned it and got an 18MP camera and still not good. Images on Youtube and the Internet showed far better quality with far smaller MP count.

My Nikon D5500,DSLR had 24 MP with the 2/3 sensor, so I thought that an adapter to utilize my Nikon would give great images. Wrong !!! Obviously something was not right. I invested in the Olympus Trinoc phototue extension, adapter and compensating eyepiece (not suitable for viewing) with my Nikon 2/3 sensor but it didn't give me any better pictures. What I saw on the internet and Youtube were far better with far smaller (2 or 3 MP !!!). Obviously I don't know what is going on or what I am doing. But I don't want to spend a lot of money on a camera that I don't need.

From what I learned, pixel size, not number is more important, but my images had poor detail even with 18 MP. An 18MP camera can cost $400 and a 4MP can cost $6000. My detail was so poor it was if the image was slightly out of focus. I was hoping to be able to use my Nikon since it takes sharp images with its own lens's.

I would love to see a comparison image taken with cameras between 2MP to 18MP but I don't see anything out there like that. It would certainly simplify choosing a camera.

BramHuntingNematodes

Re: Choosing the correct camera for Microscope photography

#2 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:55 pm

Sometimes pictures you see online have been digitally altered. A common technique is "stacking," where several photographs are combined algorithmically to obtain detail impossible to achieve in a single photo. Maybe you could post some of your pictures and your setup?
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

75RR

Re: Choosing the correct camera for Microscope photography

#3 Post by 75RR » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:12 pm

You have asked this question before. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8965&p=77223#p77223

Your camera is very likely innocent.

You need to give details of your microscope and how you have set the camera up.

You also need to tell us how the view through the eyepieces compares to your images.

You can only capture what you can see though the eyepieces and by extension the photo-port.

The more information you provide the easier it is to isolate the problem/problems

Remember that there are several illumination techniques, the plainest of which is Brightfield. I would suggest that you look into Oblique.

It is economical to implement and can produce some very nice results.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)