What DSLR settings do you use?

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
biptunia

What DSLR settings do you use?

#1 Post by biptunia » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:45 am

Hi,
I have a .5x adapter for my DSLR (pic at bottom of post). Also have a Canon T4i Rebel. Have shot some pix with the combo, but they're lacking. ( viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9128 )

I know settings vary, but where do you start? I'm assuming manual, but is it straight-up manual? Or one of the other "creative" manual settings?
What do you turn on? And off on the camera?

Shutter speed? ISO?

Anything else? Do you add a macro tube? use macro settings? Lighting other than the microscope's built-in light? (I have an AmScope stereo compound scope.)

Thank you!

jfiresto

Re: What DSLR settings do you use?

#2 Post by jfiresto » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:10 am

If you have not already, check out using the self timer with mirror lock up. See "Mirror Lockup to Reduce Camera Shake" in the Eos Rebel T4i instruction manual, p. 140.
-John

Scarodactyl

#3 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:24 am

That is an odd adapter to be using. Typically a reducing adapter is used to smush the image back down to small enough for a tiny sensor c mount camera (a 1/2" typically with a .5x lens), not for a dslr with an aps-c camera. Does it give you a lot of vignetting?

As to settings, on my t6 I have it kn minimum iso (100) and vary shutter speed depending on context. At lower mag with a bright subject it will be much lower than high mag with a dim subject. I typically connect it directly to my laptop via usb to use canon's software, and occasionally I'll use the phone app via wifi if it's more convenient, though it's a pain (it often will take like 3-5 shots in quick succession instead of one at random for instance).

biptunia

#4 Post by biptunia » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:27 am

Scarodactyl wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:24 am
That is an odd adapter to be using. Typically a reducing adapter is used to smush the image back down to small enough for a tiny sensor c mount camera (a 1/2" typically with a .5x lens), not for a dslr with an aps-c camera. Does it give you a lot of vignetting?

As to settings, on my t6 I have it kn minimum iso (100) and vary shutter speed depending on context. At lower mag with a bright subject it will be much lower than high mag with a dim subject. I typically connect it directly to my laptop via usb to use canon's software, and occasionally I'll use the phone app via wifi if it's more convenient, though it's a pain (it often will take like 3-5 shots in quick succession instead of one at random for instance).
Thank you for the info.

Yeah, my adapter is junk. Makes lots of vignetting. Pic here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9128

What adapter do you use?

75RR

#5 Post by 75RR » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:58 pm

You mention you have a AmScope B120C-E1, it is difficult and awkward to take photographs with a binocular. I know, I have done it for longer than I care to remember.

If taking photographs of what you see is important to you then you need to start thinking about a trinocular.

I used an afocal set up when I was imaging though the binocular, with the camera setup on a tripod. I think that made it even more awkward!

Have a look at this link below. Scroll down to the articles. There is nothing better in terms for setting your camera up on a microscope.

The galleries are worth a look as well.

http://www.krebsmicro.com/
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

biptunia

#6 Post by biptunia » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:32 pm

75RR wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:58 pm
You mention you have a AmScope B120C-E1, it is difficult and awkward to take photographs with a binocular. I know, I have done it for longer than I care to remember.

If taking photographs of what you see is important to you then you need to start thinking about a trinocular.

I used an afocal set up when I was imaging though the binocular, with the camera setup on a tripod. I think that made it even more awkward!

Have a look at this link below. Scroll down to the articles. There is nothing better in terms for setting your camera up on a microscope.

The galleries are worth a look as well.

http://www.krebsmicro.com/

Thank you.