Advice about setup canon EOS, no lens, no eyepiece

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
arkinos

Advice about setup canon EOS, no lens, no eyepiece

#1 Post by arkinos » Fri May 01, 2020 10:47 pm

Hi,
I have a canon EOS 1200D camera, that I use for Astrophotography. Works great.
So using adapters that I had for that I tried to place the camera on the microscope.
Did so taking out the eyepiece, taking out the lens of the camera and after placing some tape and paper to better insert the tubes and stop them, the system was read. Cost = 0€.
Seems to work well, but for the obj. 4X I can not reach the focus. I can with 10X and 40X.
FOV seems to be almost identical to the one given by the eyepiece (10X/18).

Any comments and/or suggestions?
Can this system be better with other/similar procedures?
Which optical problems will this setup give me?
I posted a message with my micro-specs and photos about the setup here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9267

I am really prone to make the best possible photos/videos with this microscope and camera. Any advice to improve the system or about taking photos/videos?
Here a link to one video taken with it: 400X, obj 40X. Closterium with its barium and calcium sulfate moving due to brownian motion.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gcjaV ... GwrKNJ4Pvm

Scarodactyl

Re: Advice about setup canon EOS, no lens, no eyepiece

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Sat May 02, 2020 4:13 am

The ovjective (or objective+tube lens) produces a focused 'primary image' inside the eyepiece tube. The eyepiece picks it up and magnifies it. If you can put that primary image on your camera sensor you can do what's called direct projection. If your eyepiece isn't doing corrections this can be a very good setup, but the difficulty is you can't physically put your camera sensor into the eyepiece tube. By refocusing you can move that primary image up the eyetube, but this pushes the objectives well out of spec so you'll get some abberations on top of those focusing difficulties.
The problem is you likely don't want to hacksaw off the end of the eyepiece tube so your camera can sit on that primary image plane.

mrsonchus

#3 Post by mrsonchus » Sat May 02, 2020 6:05 am

Hi arkinos, I have a 1200D mounted on my stereo 'scope's photo-port - 23mm as are std eyepieces...
With one of thos sleeve-adapters of course the camera can be mounted into a large 30mm eyepiece tube such as those of larger compound 'scopes.

A few images of the simple adapter which I bought several years ago from Brunel microscopes here in the U.K. This simple adapter has a lens built-in and is a very good starter setup, maybe not as good as a full-blown rig with matching projection eyepiece and photo-tube, but definitely good enough.

The tube it is placed into in this picture slides up and down to enable the focus as seen on the camera to be matched, i.e. made 'parfocal', to the eyepiece view...
EOS1200D camera scope mount (1).jpg
EOS1200D camera scope mount (1).jpg (160.16 KiB) Viewed 3541 times
A closer look at that adjustable sliding focus adapter,
EOS1200D camera scope mount (2).jpg
EOS1200D camera scope mount (2).jpg (126.47 KiB) Viewed 3541 times
This is the adapter with lens on my 1200D, ready to fit to any 'scope, via eyepieces or trinocular photo-tube, 23mm dia or 30mm etc with a cheap sleeve adapter..
EOS1200D camera scope mount (4).jpg
EOS1200D camera scope mount (4).jpg (140.04 KiB) Viewed 3541 times
The part just mounts on the camera, via the Canon mount ring...
EOS1200D camera scope mount (3).jpg
EOS1200D camera scope mount (3).jpg (148.2 KiB) Viewed 3541 times
Works very well.

Here's a link to one on e-bay that looks similar - couldn't find one on Brunel's website
John B

arkinos

#4 Post by arkinos » Sat May 02, 2020 8:14 am

Hi, great, thank you for the answers, very useful.

@mrsonchus : do you get approx. same FOV than with the eyepiece? (I am using a 10x/18).
Can you show some photo example done with the adapter?

arkinos

#5 Post by arkinos » Sat May 02, 2020 8:29 am

Hi again.
Do you know which magnification does the lens in the adapter do?
I see there are one that are 0.5x, or 2x, or 9.6x.
Which one should I use?

Thank you !

:-)

mrsonchus

#6 Post by mrsonchus » Sat May 02, 2020 9:58 am

Hi, not sure what it's magnification is, but I have a few recently-taken images from my stereo-'scope. Not the quality of images through my BX40 compund 'scope of course - especially as stereo 'scope images are down one eyepiece and not perpendicular to the specimen's table....
Here are a few low-mag images post-processed with PS, of an very-recently opening Aquilegia flower I'm studying with a view to obtaining pollen grains before they separate from their initial tetrads in order to identify their polarity.
These images are not cropped.

aquiligia flower just opening stereo scope image.jpg
aquiligia flower just opening stereo scope image.jpg (110.61 KiB) Viewed 3520 times
aquiligia closed anthers stereo scope image.jpg
aquiligia closed anthers stereo scope image.jpg (168.58 KiB) Viewed 3520 times
2 aquiligia flower just opening stereo scope image.jpg
2 aquiligia flower just opening stereo scope image.jpg (165.53 KiB) Viewed 3520 times

I'll mount it on my Olympus trinoc's phototube later and take a few images from there also - back later....
John B

arkinos

#7 Post by arkinos » Sat May 02, 2020 11:33 am

Ouaou, thanks! great photos :) and great project about the polarity of them.
Do you have a post to follow that?
Thanks again !

Scarodactyl

#8 Post by Scarodactyl » Sat May 02, 2020 4:34 pm

Looks like a standard '2x' dslr adapter. They work good on some and not so good on others.