Raspberry Pi High Quality Camera

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
Lutra87

Raspberry Pi High Quality Camera

#1 Post by Lutra87 » Sat May 02, 2020 1:14 am

:Anybody else noticed this announcement https://www.engadget.com/raspberry-pi-1 ... 45607.html

I've pre-ordered and will be attempting to develop it into an imaging platform.

BramHuntingNematodes

Re: Raspberry Pi High Quality Camera

#2 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Sat May 02, 2020 1:46 am

Yes. I would be interested in how it performs.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

Scarodactyl

#3 Post by Scarodactyl » Sat May 02, 2020 4:07 am

On paper it looks very promising, and I'm really ezcited to see how easy it is to use. It could well be a basis for a very nice and easy imaging system.

MicroBob

#4 Post by MicroBob » Sat May 02, 2020 6:28 am

This is an interesting development!
I use a c-mount camera with an old Pentax 110 SLR-Lens to connect directly to an eyepiece which works fine.
The SOny 1/2,3'' chip in this camera could be similar to the one in the Pentax Q. This camera wasn't quite as good as an APS-C camera but good enough for many applications. One drawback was the the sensor's dynamic is restricted which can be a problem with some microscope images.
A Raspberry Pi with a good camera could allow to auto stitch or stack and give incredible results with mediocre microscope hardware.

Bob

MichaelG.

#5 Post by MichaelG. » Sat May 02, 2020 8:23 am

More info. here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/new-pr ... now-at-50/
and
https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products ... _Flyer.pdf

... It looks very promising.

MichaelG.

Sorry but I couldn’t face all those ‘privacy settings’ on the Engadget link.
Too many 'projects'

BramHuntingNematodes

#6 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Sat May 02, 2020 1:31 pm

MicroBob wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 6:28 am
A Raspberry Pi with a good camera could allow to auto stitch or stack and give incredible results with mediocre microscope hardware.
Well, we're trying over here.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

deBult

#7 Post by deBult » Sat May 02, 2020 7:10 pm

BramHuntingNematodes wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 1:31 pm
MicroBob wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 6:28 am
Well, we're trying over here.
Interesting: please keep us updated on any progress whether successful or disappointing.

MicroBob

#8 Post by MicroBob » Sat May 02, 2020 8:18 pm

I my view there is a lot of potential in combining simple optics with intelligent computer control. A Planapo 16x costs several thouthands of €. At the same time automatic stitching and stacking with a simple 100:1 achromat for 60€ could offer even more image resolution over an even wider field. So there could be a lot to gain!

Bob

Lutra87

#9 Post by Lutra87 » Sat May 09, 2020 10:38 pm

Hey Guys,

Given the size of this camera (it's pretty damn small), might it be the best option to position it at the intermediate image plane? Or should I have some sort of optics in the Trinocular photo tube and position the sensor above the photo tube. The sensor 1/2" , so I assume I would need some sort of focal reducer lens?

MichaelG.

#10 Post by MichaelG. » Sun May 10, 2020 4:59 am

Lutra87 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:38 pm
The sensor 1/2"
Please forgive the pedantry, but, according to Sony it is a 1/2.3 sensor
... which is significantly smaller than 1/2 [but still a very useable size]

https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products ... _Flyer.pdf
Diagonal 7.857 mm (Type 1/2.3) 12.3 Mega-Pixel CMOS Image Sensor with Square Pixel for Color Cameras
It may be useable at the primary image from the objective [the intermediate image plane] but it would crop the field ... results will inevitably depend on the properties of the chosen objective. [*]

MichaelG.

[*] planar, and fully colour-corrected, over the central 8mm diameter of the image circle would be ideal
Too many 'projects'

Scarodactyl

#11 Post by Scarodactyl » Sun May 10, 2020 6:16 am

Lutra87 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:38 pm
Given the size of this camera (it's pretty damn small), might it be the best option to position it at the intermediate image plane?
Depending on the system the intermediate image can be quite large, oftrn enough to cover aps-c. Much better to use reducing optics I would think.
Some systems dont have an easy way to do that (mostly olympus bh2 series) but most others will have high quality native and third party options available.

Lutra87

#12 Post by Lutra87 » Sun May 10, 2020 4:41 pm

Please forgive the pedantry, but, according to Sony it is a 1/2.3 sensor
... which is significantly smaller than 1/2 [but still a very useable size]
Apologies. You are correct. My brain is suffering from information overload! My problem is I need to use a corrective eyepiece to pair with my Leitz pl fluorotar objectives, so I probably cannot place the sensor at the intermediate image. Does it make sense to put a regular correcting eyepiece in my trinocular tube, followed in short distance by a reducer lens, followed by the image sensor?? How do I figure out the correct spacing between all these components. Am I likely to get a decent result just through experimentation, or should I try to calculate the parameters. I am trying to understand the required optics but my head is spinning. If I'm understanding this correctly, the image would be located somewhere shortly after the focal length of the eyepiece but would be flipped Is this where I place the sensor?

Scarodactyl

#13 Post by Scarodactyl » Sun May 10, 2020 5:22 pm

Lutra87 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 4:41 pm
Does it make sense to put a regular correcting eyepiece in my trinocular tube, followed in short distance by a reducer lens, followed by the image sensor??
Yes. This is how their official solutions work for dslrs. I've never tried it with a sensor this small but it should probably work with a wide angle lens. A rough napkin calculation suggests maybe a 10mm lens? I haven't done anything with c mount lenses so I am not sure how easy one would be to get.
Lutra87 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 4:41 pm
How do I figure out the correct spacing between all these components.
Seems daunting but it's not that bad. The eyepiece just needs to be in focus with your other eyepieces. Then the 10mm lens focused to infinity just needs to be over it. The dostance theoretically matters, but with a 40mm lems on aps-c I tried moving the camera up and down and seeing what it did to the image, and within a range it really did nothing.

MicroBob

#14 Post by MicroBob » Sun May 10, 2020 6:16 pm

You are right, for first class imaging you have to use a correction eyepiece. A Pentax Q with identical chip size and an 8,5mm objective works fine.

MichaelG.

#15 Post by MichaelG. » Sun May 10, 2020 9:55 pm

MicroBob wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:16 pm
You are right, for first class imaging you have to use a correction eyepiece. A Pentax Q with identical chip size and an 8,5mm objective works fine.
Sorry ... I’m late back to the discussion, and it looks like everything is sorted now :

corrective eyepiece and afocal imaging using a suitable focal length lens should work nicely.

I look forward to seeing the results !

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

krame

#16 Post by krame » Fri May 29, 2020 12:39 am

Any further progress on this? I'm awaiting my very first stereomicroscope and I'm looking around at live view options.