Question about eyepiece camera thru camera port

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
cd13

Question about eyepiece camera thru camera port

#1 Post by cd13 » Fri May 08, 2020 4:49 am

Hi guys. I have a question: on a trinocular microscope, using an eyepiece microscope camera, does the camera sees the same thing I’m seeing thru the binocular eyepieces or do I need to adjust the zoom differently for the camera?
Can I see thru the eyepieces and my nephew watch thru the camera on the pc monitor at the same time or do I have to use one or another?

Thanks in advance!

Scarodactyl

Re: Question about eyepiece camera thru camera port

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri May 08, 2020 5:10 am

The camera should be in focus at the same timr as the eyepieces and have a similar field of view (ideally a nice rectangular crop of the full image circle).
On some scopes you can get light to both the camera and the eyepieces, others it's either or.

Hobbyst46

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Fri May 08, 2020 8:03 am

My inexpensive eyepiece camera, which includes a 0.5X reducing lens, only catches the center of the FOV. Here is a detailed test that I performed:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7145&p=63335&hilit=micam#p63185

Scarodactyl

#4 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri May 08, 2020 8:17 am

Yeah, I should have said 'ideally' on the crop factor. Practically speaking it isn't always easy to accomplish.

cd13

#5 Post by cd13 » Fri May 08, 2020 12:39 pm

Thanks for the replies. I know the camera will get only part of the FOV, my question was related to the focus. Will the camera be in focus at the same time as the eyepieces or if I focus the eyepieces then I need to refocus if I will use the camera?

Thanks again!

Hobbyst46

#6 Post by Hobbyst46 » Fri May 08, 2020 1:43 pm

cd13 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 12:39 pm
Thanks for the replies. I know the camera will get only part of the FOV, my question was related to the focus. Will the camera be in focus at the same time as the eyepieces or if I focus the eyepieces then I need to refocus if I will use the camera?

Thanks again!
The camera tube is inserted into the photo tube, and the depth of insertion is adjusted to yield perfect parfocality with the viewing eyepieces is achieved. I wrapped a thin cellotape around the camera tube, to mark the depth and serve as a stopper ring, that will create correct parfocality every time. Easier done then said !
Perhaps other eyepiece cameras can benefit from a helicoid focussing adapter. Mine does not need one.
Note that the above is valid for a compound "biological" microscope. My stereo microscope is binocular. When the camera is on the stereo, I just focus by means of the PC screen, and forget about the other eyepiece. The two eyepieces point at different FOVs anyway...

cd13

#7 Post by cd13 » Fri May 08, 2020 4:15 pm

Thanks!