Need great live view to laptop option

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
20GoldenStreams

Need great live view to laptop option

#1 Post by 20GoldenStreams » Mon May 25, 2020 2:21 pm

Hello, I have an Omax with 20x, 40x and 60x PLAN except for the 40x. I'm doing darkfield with oil for everything.
So far I have used a Nikon D5100 mounted on top but the live feed to Digicam for Nikon's is very limited, actually bad image quality.
It's not really usuable I've heard Canon does not have this issue giving about twice the live view resolution to PC via USB.

So, I got out the 1.3 OMAX camera which had barely been used and it's doing a decent job for this purpose after some tinkering and getting used to.
But there is a lag which is borderline acceptable and the resolution is sort of ?? on the edge of not enough the mouse scroll to zoom is excellent and click drag to pan image.
So my first thought was to just get a better OMAX camera higher MP resolution so I can zoom with a little bit more meaning.

But here is what I am wondering, if I do that I assume that the delay will get a lot worse and possibly become unusable for obserrving motile, little living movements and so on, so I might end up having to select a lower resolution in the software anyway... and be right back where I started.

All this now makes me think that an ANALOG camera with regular video outputs like component video, or the old school RCA even might be the best thing for this particular application. And if so, can we buy a camera like this for OMAX ? I would have to do some tricks like going to a monitor for viewing and back to laptop maybe for capture with screencast software such as OBS studio (if recording is desired). In the end though, I think it might be worth it. Thoughts ?

MichaelG.

Re: Need great live view to laptop option

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Mon May 25, 2020 5:13 pm

Thoughts ...

C-mount [and CS-mount] analog cameras are readily available

If the resolution and frame rate are good enough for your project, I see no problem.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

20GoldenStreams

#3 Post by 20GoldenStreams » Mon May 25, 2020 9:50 pm

Thanks. I'm thinking this might be just what the doctor ordered ? HDMI

I found this HDMI live view, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... amera.html
C mount looks perfect except maybe for the price. Also found S video version https://www.nyoptics.com/oem-ccd-s-video-camera.html , no cost savings over the HDMI stuff..

I called B & H photo about the BRESSER MikroCam Pro HDMI Camera with C-Mount asking if they knew if it would fit my scope.
I have no clue what the mount is, and neither could the tech at BH figure it out for sure. Guess that's what you get with Chinese scopes. https://omaxmicroscope.com/40x-2000x-da ... amera.html That's mine

Just glancing at the BH site versus the Omax site I think I need a new mount installed on it.
Mine is just a tube where the 1.3 camera slides into / on top of

I have an email into Omax will see what they say, to me it looks like I need to take the existing mount off, and install an extension or something that is C-mount.

Scarodactyl

#4 Post by Scarodactyl » Mon May 25, 2020 9:57 pm

20GoldenStreams

#5 Post by 20GoldenStreams » Tue May 26, 2020 12:41 am

:lol: Now THAT makes perfect sense now thanks!~!
I spaced it, completely forgot about putting the adapter to the camera 5 years ago.
thought it was all one piece