Timelapse with wet specimens

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
cd13

Timelapse with wet specimens

#1 Post by cd13 » Sun May 31, 2020 2:15 pm

Hi guys,
I would like to do some timelapse videos (maybe recording 8 hours) to see how the micro world behaves, but I having issues of losing focus and I think it is because of water drying. Do you guys have any technique? Is it even possible to achieve this with a simple home setup?

MichaelG.

Re: Timelapse with wet specimens

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Sun May 31, 2020 2:43 pm

I think the most practical approach would be to confine the critters as closely as practical.
For inspiration ...Try searching for ‘compressorium’

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Hobbyst46

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun May 31, 2020 6:26 pm

cd13 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 2:15 pm
Hi guys,
I would like to do some timelapse videos (maybe recording 8 hours) to see how the micro world behaves, but I having issues of losing focus and I think it is because of water drying. Do you guys have any technique? Is it even possible to achieve this with a simple home setup?
Have never tried it, but you can try and seal the rims of the cover slip with vaseline (petroleum jelly), to prevent water from evaporation from under the cover slip. Apply only the minimum amount of vaseline, and make sure to prevent contact between the objective and vaseline.
Note, however, that when sealed, there is no gas exchange between the water medium and the enviroment, and this might affect the viability of creatures...

cd13

#4 Post by cd13 » Sun May 31, 2020 11:08 pm

Do you have any website with information? I understand what you saying, but not idea how to start or how to set it up