New Sub-forum

Post recommendations here. This is also the place where announcements will be made.
admin
Site Admin

New Sub-forum

#1 Post by admin » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:50 pm

Hello!
I have added a new forum category called "Digital Processing". In this category you can talk about all issues relating to (computer-based) image processing, such as focus stacking and other image enhancing methods etc.
All the best, Oliver
Science may set limits to knowledge, but should not set limits to imagination.
(Bertrand Russell)

JimT

Re: New Sub-forum

#2 Post by JimT » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:30 am

Good addition. Even us old guys can learn from others and offer others our techniques.

JimT

gekko

#3 Post by gekko » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:13 pm

Thank you, Oliver.

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:54 pm

I probably, at least partially stimulated this, by suggesting to Oliver that the section labelled pictures and videos be split in two. I am suspicious that some people( in fact I know of at least one) are inhibited from posting unpolished pictures, because some of the pictures are so polished that they are more computer generated , than microscope generated. I had suggested that pictures that have minimal post processing, within the bounds of what would would have taken place with emulsion film ; contrast,cropping, exposure and some sharpening be put into one section.
Those that have more sophisticated manipulation, such as stacking,chromatic aberration removal etc. be put into another section.

Since the beginning, being at the microscope has encouraged one to try to capture what the eye was seeing. The advent of sophisticated digital processing has made that so much more possible and that is great but it has also allowed the shift towards utilizing computer programs to synthesize what the mind wants to see. Stacking , in particular, can yield an otherworldly type of image , that is more in line with electron micrographs, than optical microgrographs. No body sees that way . I just think that they should be separated. One is based on the skill of the microscopist, the other on the skill of the computer programmer.

Crater Eddie

#5 Post by Crater Eddie » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:11 pm

Thanks Oliver!
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

KurtM

#6 Post by KurtM » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:43 am

Yes, many thanks to Oliver for all he does!

Phil, that's an interesting position you take, one that I will have to give some thought to. Heaven knows I feel similarly when it comes to astrophotography, where the fantastic images tend to bear little resemblance to what one observes at the eyepiece.
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/