WANTED: nice used scope

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
Dale

WANTED: nice used scope

#1 Post by Dale » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:02 am

The Amscope B530B is my current new choice, going for $400, plus $60 for a 60X.
So my wants are: reverse nosepiece, kohler lighting, halogen illumination,
oculars of 10X and 20X, the usual objectives but semi or plan.
My goal is a nice instrument giving bright images with reasonable resolution of all kinds
of stuff. I've no interest in microphotogaphy, but would not rule out a trinoc.
B&L Stereozoom 4. Nikon E600. AO Biostar 1820.

lorez

Re: WANTED: nice used scope

#2 Post by lorez » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:37 am

Did you consider the AO10 listed in the post in this list ? Photos will be available if you are interested. I also have a couple of other used scopes that are good but do not have all your specs. A couple of Olympus and Nikon.

Have faith, 72 is the new 52, or something like that...

lorez

Dale

#3 Post by Dale » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:57 am

I could not get enough details on the AO10. Could you list the highlights of your other scopes.
Dale

75RR

#4 Post by 75RR » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:35 am

So my wants are: reverse nosepiece, kohler lighting, halogen illumination,
oculars of 10X and 20X, the usual objectives but semi or plan.

If I might make a couple of observations.

1.) The 20x eyepiece should be optional. One can pick up cheap Chinese ones on ebay if you do decide to try them.
2.) If you work as I do, with the arm of the scope nearest you (binocular head swings round), you effectively have a reverse nosepiece.

Do not know what scope you had "years ago" but my zeiss standard junior with achromat objectives gives great images.
Though as with most things, one always wants more. :)

My point: any scope from the big 4 in good condition will provide very good images, even with achromats.
Have you tried to find a microscope dealer in your area?
I say in your area because there is no substitute to trying out a microscope before buying.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

lorez

#5 Post by lorez » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:27 pm

http://user.xmission.com/~psneeley/Pers ... oscope.htm

This site will give you abour all you would want regarding the AO microscopes.

lorez

vasselle

#6 Post by vasselle » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:43 pm

Bonjour
Je viens de regarder le site ces vraiment super.
Car j'aime beaucoup histoire de cette marque de microscope.
Merci pour le partage
Cordialement seb
Microscope Leitz Laborlux k
Boitier EOS 1200D + EOS 1100D

Dale

#7 Post by Dale » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:20 am

Lorez, there are so many iterations of the 10 I can't figure out which might be like yours.
My first scope came in a fold out red box, probably labeled For the Junior Junior Scientist!
All the scopes come with a 10X and either a 15x or 20X ocular, resulting in 2 possible highest dry
magnifications of 20 X 40 = 800, or 15 X 60 = 900. I have seen the images with the 60X, but I
don't know what ocular was used, knowing that will help a lot.

75RR

#8 Post by 75RR » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:43 am

I have seen the images with the 60X, but I don't know what ocular was used, knowing that will help a lot.
Most people use 10x eyepieces, some use 8x or 12.5x (as I do). Assume 10x and you will not be far wrong.
The most I have used is 12.5 X 40= 500. That is for viewing. Do not own a 60x though I would like to.
If you use a camera the zoom function or a longer lens can give you a little more.

High magnification numbers are a bit like megapixels in cameras.
They do not mean as much as the salesmen would have you believe.

Dale

#9 Post by Dale » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:03 am

Whatever I buy I will get the 60X, it's just the power of the second pair of oculars. Do you think the Kohler
lighting is excessive for a casual scoper, seems like a lot of frequent alignment. The images I have seen in the
900X range were ok, what they may have looked like at 500X I don't know.

lorez

#10 Post by lorez » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:23 am

Dale, I tried to repost a reply to your comments, above, but they were in the wrong thread and since that post there are a couple of other things that may take that scope out of the running.

I don't have a 60X objective for the scope.

Regarding Koehler illumination: It is not necessary for casual viewing. I don't mean to open a can of worms discussion, but if you have no interest in photography it is not essential. The main thing to consider is the quality of the objective. In our discussions such things as magnification, NA, achromat, plan achromat, etc. are prominent, but rarely mentioned is the quality of the glass, proprietary coatings, or quality of workmanship. It follows that the better manufacturers will offer the better product and in all cases the quality of the objective is supported by the quality of the frame and other components. It is common that the product that does not make the cut for the 'grade A' instrument is the "grade B".

Having a microscope with a known pedigree and the specified component is the best way to achieve a quality image, regardless of the magnification. Especially for casual use.

lorez

75RR

#11 Post by 75RR » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:37 am

Hi Dale, read this thread. Once the OP's question on darkfield is answered it focuses on Köhler.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=185

You basically have two choices: Critical illumination or Köhler illumination.
I actually use critical, my microscope lacks a field diaphragm so I can't achieve Köhler.
My second microscope (still working on it) will allow me to achieve Köhler, it will be interesting to see if it is worth the extra work.

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/index.h ... llumin.htm
http://ken-a-vision.com/wp-content/uplo ... ebsite.pdf

Dale

#12 Post by Dale » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:57 am

Wow, what great lighting references, thanks 75RR. I could only skim them tonight, but tomorrow I will study them intensely. If I could summarize what I got from Lorez and the references is that no light source will make up for
poor objectives, and that is what I was hoping to do.
Lorez I am sorry about my posting in two different places. I just left a reply on the other one! (with questions)
Oh, and I don't expect anyones scope to have the 60X on it, so your scope is definitely 'in the running'.
My inbox is a mess, how bout we settle on this thread for the time?
Dale

lorez

#13 Post by lorez » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:21 am

OK, this will be the place we call home.

Dale

#14 Post by Dale » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:28 am

and I just read your last post on the other thread. I can get the year from the s/n. Looked at many on Ebay, most
looked quite used. I guess price and shipping would be the next step, cept I know I'll wake up with a few more questions.
Shuttin down, nite, tnx, Dale.

einman

#15 Post by einman » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:46 pm

Not sure if this thread is still active. I will put my 2 cents in. I have several models of American Optical and find them to be a fine microscope. Construction is much better than newer Chinese scopes. In fact better than many if not most of the newer scopes regardless of the brand. In regards to optics they are often over looked in favor of Zeiss, Olympus or Nikon but having all of the aforementioned I an say the optics are comparable when compared to the same class stand or within the same generation. Many forget it was AO that invented the infinity approach.

I also have both achromat and plan achromat objectives. For a beginner achromats are perfectly fine. The same goes for critical vs koehler lighting. For the beginner critical is fine. As your interest grows you can move up to plan achromats, flourites, apos, plan apos ..koehler, phase, DIC etc

In regards to 60X objectives. I have ibjective in the 60X range from B&L, AO/reichert, Leitz and a chinese version. I find the chinese version satisfactory and pleasant to use, though not quite on par with the others.

One comment on the AO 10. It is an infinity system and as such requires infinity objectives. Though you can use some 160 TL objectives, it is trial and error. Don't believe anyone that says you can not swap infinity/160 TL objectives. You can but the result may or may not result in a good image. Not something for a beginner. if you are looking for a larger selection of objectives I would go with a 160 TL scope. There are many more choices on E-bay for objectives. But again most beginners would be satisfied with the 10,20,40,100 objectives common to most infinity scopes such as the AO 10.

American Optical has the AO 4 series which is a fine scope that uses 160 TL objectives. I purchased one not too long ago equipped with both APO and achromat objectives. It is a fine instrument, very well constructed. The images are superb. It has koehler but requires a more knowledge to make the proper adjustments, more so than the AO 10.

You could pick up a good Zeiss Wl std 14, 16, 20 model with 160 TL objectives. There are many on the forum quite versed in this line. An Olympus CH or a Nikon Labophot also uses 160 TL. Fine examples can be had for less than $400.

I believe the money is better spent on older scopes from the big 5 but an Amscope may be less intimidating for a beginner. You know what you are getting. I will say the construction does not even begin to compare to the older scopes. There is a reason scopes from the big 5 are still around in perfect functioning order despite being decades old. I doubt you will be able to find a Chinese scope more than 10 years old that does not require some significant maintenance. They are almost throw away in many ways.

I could ramble on for days.. as could most on this forum.