How I got my first "real" microscope

Posts that are not microscopy-related should be placed here.
yoicks

How I got my first "real" microscope

#1 Post by yoicks » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:33 pm

I live on an island in Puget Sound that is a magnet for eccentrics of all stripes; and before someone else says it, it has an undeniable attraction for me, too. One of those eccentrics, a polymath by the name of Roger Russell heard I was interested in microscopes and, out of the blue, gave me a twenties-vintage Spencer scope. I first encountered Roger at the local ice arena where he taught figure skating and where I hung around hoping to meet girls. We never spoke, but the tall bald guy was a memorable personage, and I recognized him immediately when he drove off the ferry in a light-blue Triumph TR-3 that was upholstered inside and out with a number of young ladies whom I presumed to be one of his skate classes. The top was down and girls spilled out of the small interior and onto the fenders, hood, and trunk, like deer in hunting seasons past. He eventually moved to the island when he no longer was able to teach skating and, small population that it was, we soon had mutual friends. Roger built harpsichords and carillons, repaired pianos, and in that capacity worked with my father-in-law to be in restoring an elderly player piano. That project took more than a year and we still have the piano, which functions perfectly all these years later.

charlie g

Re: How I got my first "real" microscope

#2 Post by charlie g » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:48 pm

I was perhaps an eigth grader..I answered a print ad in NYTimes classifieds for: 'microscope for sale'...from a Bronx,NYC dentist. I had a ...gulp, $100 bill in my pocket. A bud, Joey Shields rode the train with me to that dentists Bronx office.

It was a journey from Elmhurst,Queens,NYC..each train transfer for us became: 'a tougher environment'...gulp!

I was convinced all passengers sensed I had a crisp 'C-note' in my pocket...gulp! Long story short..it was a black enamel monocular...I 'think' a Spencer...my first real microscope...I sold it for $60 to a classmate, Mark Gorman...in high school, senior year. In high school..the bio dept (Br. Tim, Mr.Nick Coletto), permitted me to take home during summer breaks..a binoc 'real microscope'..I washed and reused the few cover slips I had! Charlie guevara

JimT

#3 Post by JimT » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:00 am

Yoicks, your post was a pleasure to read. Doesn't look like you were a good business person :) Bought it for $100, sold it for $60 :D

It's great how so many of us have such interesting stories as to how we progressed in this wonderful hobby.

JimT

yoicks

#4 Post by yoicks » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:25 am

Thank you for the kind words, Jim T, but I think you are referring to Charlie G's post. I am a worse businessman, though, since I still have my Ortho and have gotten no money out of it, just a great deal of pleasure.

Dale

#5 Post by Dale » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:10 am

My goodness, Yoicks, we are a bit more than neighbors. My dad is resting on your island as well. Many of my family lived there, and some
still do. I competed at Lakewood , but never met Roger. Any of these names familiar: Bibby, Farrell, Mckenna? What a small world.
Welcome to the forums.
Dale
B&L Stereozoom 4. Nikon E600. AO Biostar 1820.

yoicks

#6 Post by yoicks » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:29 am

All of the above, Dale, and thanks. I think I know who you are, which is not meant to sound as sinister as it probably does!

Dale

#7 Post by Dale » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:41 am

I am John Farrell's son. Changed the Farrell back to Fiorillo cause grandpa "Americanized" his name when he
came to America. I'm a long time resident of the South Seattle area. Sure would have liked to have met
Roger, we had a lot of similar interests, fly tying, music, woodworking, little English sports cars.
Dale

yoicks

#8 Post by yoicks » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:22 am

Dale: Roger was a unique man and a real asset to the island. I know a lot of us still miss him.

I know or know of all the people you cited. You are related, I think, to Kim M, who is an intelligent and interesting person.

Dale

#9 Post by Dale » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:23 am

We may get cited for off topicity, but I'll risk it a bit. Kim is my step sister,
and I agree with your compliments. There were also a lot of Buchanan's.
l'm sure my step-mom, LeeAnn, knew Roger.
Dale

yoicks

#10 Post by yoicks » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:40 am

We could move this to the off-topic thread.

yoicks

#11 Post by yoicks » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:44 am

Oops! This IS the off-topic thread, so I think it's ok.
I am sure my wife knows more members of your family than I do, since she grew up next to Buchanan's place. She was an Ehricke. I knew Kim back in the 70s, and we used to have deeply philosophical conversations. I thought they were anyway, but she probably found them to be puerile and inane, at least on my part.

My name is Rich and my wife is Nancy. We knew Tiny and were fond of her, and of course we know LeeAnn.
Last edited by yoicks on Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gekko

#12 Post by gekko » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:06 pm

yoicks, a belated welcome. Very interesting stories of first microscope acquisition.

yoicks

#13 Post by yoicks » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:49 pm

Thank you, gekko, it's good to be here. I'm going to try an image-hosting site, since I'm not having any luck uploading.

billbillt

#14 Post by billbillt » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:25 pm

Hi Yoicks,

Welcome aboard!... The upload photos process is so straightforward here that you may need to make a certain amount of posts before it becomes active... I am not for sure about this, but I do know it is a requirement to send/receive PM's... The only restriction on photos I think is on the size... I think they can be no larger than 1000 pixels per size...

BillT

Crater Eddie

#15 Post by Crater Eddie » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:35 pm

Yoicks! Do you have a cousin names Zounds? Sorry, couldn't resist.
As far as image hosting sites, many of us use Photobucket, it is pretty easy to use. If you need assistance just yell.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

yoicks

#16 Post by yoicks » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:36 pm

Thanks BillT and CE. CE I adopted yoicks as a screen name because that is what the huntsman shouts to encourage the hounds to chase the fox and we are microbe hunters, after all. Not quite a linear analog, but close enough.