Adding Simple Darkfield to a Nikon Labophot Condenser

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
carlh6902

Adding Simple Darkfield to a Nikon Labophot Condenser

#1 Post by carlh6902 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:33 pm

I am posting this here, since it is a bit off topic where I originally posted it. And, as it turns out, the link I used did not work anyway.

So let's try this one:

Edit 4/14/2019: Replaced outdated link with a link to the master index, which always contains the most recent versions:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7ckZ ... nFYVDJSRW8

This applies directly to the finite Nikon scopes, but I developed it to provide easy darkfield on my Olympus BH-2 scope.

Carl
Last edited by carlh6902 on Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
--- If you're in the Kansas City area and you need help with an Olympus BH-2 scope, PM me. I love to work on these things ---

Crater Eddie

Re: Adding Simple Darkfield to a Nikon Labophot Condenser

#2 Post by Crater Eddie » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:00 pm

Very nice write up!
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

carlh6902

#3 Post by carlh6902 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:11 am

Crater Eddie wrote:Very nice write up!
CE
Thanks, Eddie.

The MXA20495 that makes this thing work is available on "that auction site" for $11, if anybody is interested. I picked up three of them.

Carl
--- If you're in the Kansas City area and you need help with an Olympus BH-2 scope, PM me. I love to work on these things ---

wmodavis

#4 Post by wmodavis » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:03 am

Well done Carl and clearly presented.
Bill Davis
Olympus BH-2/BHS and BH-2/BHT both with trinoc head.

carlh6902

#5 Post by carlh6902 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:46 am

wmodavis wrote:Well done Carl and clearly presented.
Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Carl

gekko

#6 Post by gekko » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:29 pm

Excellent article, Carl, and very useful to those of us who have Nikon or Olympus condensers, as it provides a very neat solution. Thank you.

gekko

#7 Post by gekko » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:20 pm

Coincidentally, a couple of months ago Crater Eddie suggested to me by email basically the same idea for his Olympus condenser, but neither he nor I knew about the Nikon adapter. At the time, my only concern was that the thickness of the plastic tube he intended to use might cut down on the usable condenser aperture and my suggestion was that he consider cutting the wall of an aluminum soda can and rolling it into a tube of the right diameter.

apatientspider

#8 Post by apatientspider » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:21 pm

All:

Be very careful what you click on at that link above. I clicked on a thumb of the first page of the pdf. and some kind of malware or ransomeware took over my browser. I couldn't even shut down the browser to escape from it, nor could I shut off the computer the regular way. I had to pull the battery out of my laptop to shut everything down.

However, I went back to the site and clicked the download button for the pdf itself and did not experience any problems.

Jim

carlh6902

#9 Post by carlh6902 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:35 am

That's a valid concern with the pipe thickness. There does exist a thin wall PVC, same outer diameter, but only about half the wall thickness. I listed schedule 40 since it's widely available, whereas the thin wall can be hard to find.

Carl

wmodavis

#10 Post by wmodavis » Tue May 03, 2016 2:49 pm

And as a follow up on this article - I have taken steps to try it on my new old scope. Got the PVC Schedule from a scrap laying around, just placed order for the Filter Holder MXA20495 and will be looking at buying or fabricating some darkfield stops.
Bill Davis

carlh6902

#11 Post by carlh6902 » Tue May 03, 2016 4:06 pm

FYI -

Edit 4/14/2019: Replaced outdated link with a link to the master index, which always contains the most recent versions:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7ckZ ... nFYVDJSRW8

Carl
Last edited by carlh6902 on Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

wmodavis

#12 Post by wmodavis » Tue May 03, 2016 5:29 pm

Gekko - I'm going to try it with my Olympus condenser as they appear very close. The piece of schedule 40 that I have measures about 33.5 mm dia whereas the inside dia to the Olympus condenser measures 34.9 mm. So it's a loose fit. Maybe a turn or two of black electrical tape around the PVC can take up the slack. I'll wait for the MXA20495 before I proceed. Another apparent dimensional difference I find is the length of the PVC pipe. The article says 1-1/8" whereas I measure ~22.5mm or almost 3mm shorter for my condenser. But at this point I'm not accounting for the MXA20495 which might require longer PVC. Not any sort of a real problem for sure. Also I got the MXA20495 for $10 which is certainly less then $17 Carl mentioned.

Carl Hunsinger - Thanks for your rev 2 document wherein the only change I saw was adding the recommendation of SDR-21 PVC which has same OD as schedule 40 but about 1/2 the wall thickness. You say the SDR-21 is preferable. Why is that? Does the thinner wall thickness help that much? Just curious. And you already answered my question in footnote 1 page 4 of 9. Thanks you thorough guy.

Stay tuned for next installment.
Bill Davis

carlh6902

#13 Post by carlh6902 » Tue May 03, 2016 5:57 pm

wmodavis-

FYI - The MXA20495 will not fit into the BH2-CD condenser because the condenser bore is just a little too small. To fit in a 1" PVC (I suggest SDR-21) you can omit the MXA20495 and just wrap electrical tape to make the whole thing fit snugly, but it takes several wraps and then it tends to be hard to remove after it's been in for a while. Also, without the MXA20495 to help with alignment, it's pretty easy to end up with poor stop centering this way. I'm still experimenting trying to find a more practical solution for the BH2-CD.

In the mean time, I picked up a Nikon Labophot condenser for $35 on that auction site. It works fine in my BH-2 scopes, but can be raised too high if you're not careful, which can be dangerous if it crashes the slide into the objective.

Carl

gekko

#14 Post by gekko » Tue May 03, 2016 6:40 pm

Hi Carl,
I tried the link you provide. It wasn't immediately obvious to me how to look at or download your article, and I got scared away by the very nasty website. It started to beep loudly and said I should immediately do something or other (I didn't continue reading, but exited with haste). I immediately ran a full scan of my computer, and fortunately nothing untoward was found.
Have you considered submitting the article to the Microbe Hunter magazine?

carlh6902

#15 Post by carlh6902 » Tue May 03, 2016 6:45 pm

I have not had those issues with the PDF Archive site, but I've heard others say similar things. How would I go about submitting this?

Carl

gekko

#16 Post by gekko » Tue May 03, 2016 7:07 pm

I think the following link gives the information that you need: http://www.microbehunter.com/submissions/
But you can always post a message for Olive in the About the website, the magazine and this forum section, or email him at nospam_editor@microbehunter.com (remove "nospam_") if you have questions.
Thanks.

wmodavis

#17 Post by wmodavis » Tue May 03, 2016 10:05 pm

carlh6902 wrote:wmodavis-

FYI - The MXA20495 will not fit into the BH2-CD condenser because the condenser bore is just a little too small. To fit in a 1" PVC (I suggest SDR-21) you can omit the MXA20495 and just wrap electrical tape to make the whole thing fit snugly, but it takes several wraps and then it tends to be hard to remove after it's been in for a while. Also, without the MXA20495 to help with alignment, it's pretty easy to end up with poor stop centering this way. I'm still experimenting trying to find a more practical solution for the BH2-CD.

In the mean time, I picked up a Nikon Labophot condenser for $35 on that auction site. It works fine in my BH-2 scopes, but can be raised too high if you're not careful, which can be dangerous if it crashes the slide into the objective.

Carl
Well I'll either do a mid course correction or darn it get a Nikon condenser. Was hoping to sidestep that option.
Carl what is the actual purpose of the MXA20495? Does it perform a particular function in the one you made for the Nikon? It does give it a very nice finished look.
Bill Davis

carlh6902

#18 Post by carlh6902 » Wed May 04, 2016 2:04 am

wmodavis wrote:
carlh6902 wrote:wmodavis-

Carl
Well I'll either do a mid course correction or darn it get a Nikon condenser. Was hoping to sidestep that option.
Carl what is the actual purpose of the MXA20495? Does it perform a particular function in the one you made for the Nikon? It does give it a very nice finished look.
Bill - the Nikon filter holder is the interface between the Nikon condenser and the 1" PVC pipe. The pipe snaps into the filter holder nicely, and the filter holder (with pipe) snaps into the condenser nicely. So it all fits together without having to shim the fit with tape or anything. And the filter holder keeps the pipe nicely aligned in the condenser.

Carl

carlh6902

#19 Post by carlh6902 » Wed May 04, 2016 3:09 pm

For those concerned about the safety of the link I provided for this article, I just submitted it and included the PDF as an attachment in the "Articles and images to be published" section of this forum.

Carl

gekko

#20 Post by gekko » Wed May 04, 2016 3:43 pm

Thank you, Carl.

carlh6902

#21 Post by carlh6902 » Thu May 05, 2016 2:22 am

If anybody figures out a good way to add a darkfield stop to the BH2 abbe condenser, please be sure to post details.

Carl

carlh6902

#22 Post by carlh6902 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:47 am

iconoclastica

#23 Post by iconoclastica » Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:12 pm

From the photos, the MXA20495 seems a pretty simple thing, not worth the money nor the trouble to get it in this era of 3d-printing. Could someone please draw how exactly it attaches to the condenser (and possibly its dimensions)?