Water Bear!

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
Pat Thielen

Water Bear!

#1 Post by Pat Thielen » Sun May 08, 2016 2:26 pm

It took some time, but I found my first ever tardigrade just last month. I experimented a bit with the video settings on my camera and discovered that it actually did quite well. I created a Youtube channel -- Hopefully I'll be posting more videos there in the near future as I learn more about making them. One thing I'm wondering about is how to make them somewhat smaller using Adobe Premier. The video is only one minute six seconds long, but the file size is 126 megabytes (the larger version is 252 meg). That seems a bit big for a minute long video, but in all seriousness I know nothing about video -- Its a whole new arena for me. Any suggestions or critiques would be most welcome (this is only the second video I've made).

This was taken using phase contrast lighting at 100 and 200x using a Motic BA310 microscope and a Nikon d810 camera.

Thanks!

ps -- Just out of curiosity, how do I link a video in the post so the video is showing rather than the html link?
Last edited by Pat Thielen on Sun May 08, 2016 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pat Thielen
Motic BA310, C & A Scientific Premiere SMZ-07, Swift Eleven-Ninety, Swift FM-31, Bausch & Lomb VM349, Olympus CHA
Nikon d810

75RR

Re: Water Bear!

#2 Post by 75RR » Sun May 08, 2016 2:39 pm

Good catch on the Tardigrade!

To show the video in your post press on the youtube link in the toolbar and paste the "code" part of the https link
between the two [youtube] "code" [/youtube]
For this video the "code" is: GxgAPWH0b2U
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Pat Thielen

#3 Post by Pat Thielen » Sun May 08, 2016 2:45 pm

Thanks! :)
Pat Thielen
Motic BA310, C & A Scientific Premiere SMZ-07, Swift Eleven-Ninety, Swift FM-31, Bausch & Lomb VM349, Olympus CHA
Nikon d810

zzffnn

#4 Post by zzffnn » Sun May 08, 2016 2:59 pm

Nice catch, Pat.

Can one keep the resolution at 1080p with
[youTube] code [\youTube]?

Many times, when I clicked on such a code link, I did not get the option of picking 1080p. With a text link, I can select 1080p (I saw difference between 720p vs 1080p).

JimT

#5 Post by JimT » Sun May 08, 2016 3:57 pm

First video post and quite good! Good catch of an elusive subject.

billporter1456

#6 Post by billporter1456 » Sun May 08, 2016 5:55 pm

Congratulations on getting into the world of microscopy videos and nice catch on the Tardigrade.

Just recently I started using a program called Handbrake for reducing the size of the files I upload to YouTube. For example, the video I uploaded yesterday was about 2 minutes long and had a file size of 232 MB. After running it through Handbrake, the file size was about 41 MB. So it took MUCH less time to upload. Handbrake is free and pretty easy to use. Just Google "handbrake" and you're on your way.

glennbech

#7 Post by glennbech » Sun May 08, 2016 7:35 pm

That is a super cool little creature!

gekko

#8 Post by gekko » Sun May 08, 2016 7:46 pm

A great find indeed! I think your video is very good, especially that this is phase contrast of a "very 3D" critter. If you happen to find another one someday, may I suggest that you also try brightfield and, if possible, oblique illumination?

apatientspider

#9 Post by apatientspider » Sun May 08, 2016 8:10 pm

Hi, Pat.

I've not viewed many micro-videos before, so that's the first video I've ever seen of a tardigrade. I thought it was very good! I can understand better now why they are called waterbears. In fact, I believe I could even discern what looked like bear claws!

If that is one of your first videos. I must say you are quite an inspiration.

Jim

Pat Thielen

#10 Post by Pat Thielen » Mon May 09, 2016 3:11 am

gekko wrote:A great find indeed! I think your video is very good, especially that this is phase contrast of a "very 3D" critter. If you happen to find another one someday, may I suggest that you also try brightfield and, if possible, oblique illumination?

Thanks! I did try taking photos and video of him using darkfield illumination but those just didn't turn out very well. I will certainly do brightfield video of the next one I find. I'm hoping to video a rotifer next.
Pat Thielen
Nikon d810

Pat Thielen

#11 Post by Pat Thielen » Mon May 09, 2016 3:12 am

apatientspider wrote:Hi, Pat.

I've not viewed many micro-videos before, so that's the first video I've ever seen of a tardigrade. I thought it was very good! I can understand better now why they are called waterbears. In fact, I believe I could even discern what looked like bear claws!

If that is one of your first videos. I must say you are quite an inspiration.

Jim

Thanks Jim. But believe me -- I'm really the Jon Snow of video: I know nothing. With some practice and experience hopefully I'll know a bit more than nothing relatively soon. This was the second video I've ever shot (not including the 8mm movies I took when I was a kid :D )

And yeah -- You can certainly see his little claws. These are very interesting and awesome little animals.
Pat Thielen
Nikon d810

Pat Thielen

#12 Post by Pat Thielen » Mon May 09, 2016 3:15 am

billporter1456 wrote:Congratulations on getting into the world of microscopy videos and nice catch on the Tardigrade.

Just recently I started using a program called Handbrake for reducing the size of the files I upload to YouTube. For example, the video I uploaded yesterday was about 2 minutes long and had a file size of 232 MB. After running it through Handbrake, the file size was about 41 MB. So it took MUCH less time to upload. Handbrake is free and pretty easy to use. Just Google "handbrake" and you're on your way.
Thanks for the info -- I think I'll give it a try. Although, I would think Adobe Premier would somehow give you the ability to add more compression to a video. I couldn't find a setting for one.
Pat Thielen
Nikon d810

Pat Thielen

#13 Post by Pat Thielen » Mon May 09, 2016 3:16 am

zzffnn wrote:Nice catch, Pat.

Can one keep the resolution at 1080p with
[youTube] code [\youTube]?

Many times, when I clicked on such a code link, I did not get the option of picking 1080p. With a text link, I can select 1080p (I saw difference between 720p vs 1080p).

I did shoot it in 1080p, but the version I uploaded was 720 due to size issues with the 1080 version. Once I figure out how to compress the videos more I'll upload them in the 1080p format. But I thought a file that was over 200 meg and just over a minute long was a bit much.
Pat Thielen
Nikon d810

rabitt

#14 Post by rabitt » Mon May 09, 2016 12:02 pm

Like your video, I only found one myself so far.

Mintaka

#15 Post by Mintaka » Mon May 09, 2016 4:13 pm

Very nice! How/ where did you find it?

Pat Thielen

#16 Post by Pat Thielen » Mon May 09, 2016 4:34 pm

Mintaka wrote:Very nice! How/ where did you find it?
I had been searching for water bears for some time, since last year actually. A friend has a toy microscope and so she and I were competing as to who would find the first one. I didn't find any in the pond water I was examining and so I found moss in a potted plant that was out on the deck. I thought for sure that would be it -- But I didn't find any there. And so this Spring I got a crazy idea and went down to the pond behind my house and took a sample of moss that is growing in the lawn next to the pond. When I looked at it there was very little there and pretty no debris, which makes for a rather boring adventure in my opinion. But that was when I found the tardigrade trying to walk beneath the cover glass -- He was about the only thing in that particular sample. So, I lucked out. Later I'm going to try sampling some lichen off a tree to see if there may be any hiding in there. But this was the very first one I'd ever seen.
Pat Thielen
Nikon d810

Mintaka

#17 Post by Mintaka » Mon May 09, 2016 4:59 pm

Thanks .... these guys are still eluding me ... will continue with the moss inspections. ;)