Windows 10

Posts that are not microscopy-related should be placed here.
gekko

Windows 10

#1 Post by gekko » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:58 pm

If you upgraded to Windows 10, did you experience any problems? I'm running Windows 7 and am wondering whether I should upgrade. Many thanks!

wmodavis

Re: Windows 10

#2 Post by wmodavis » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:36 pm

I signed up for the free upgrade way back when but have decided to stick with 7. I finally got it to quit nagging me. Frankly I couldn't see features in 10 that were worth anything to me. I read a lot at Windows Secrets Win10 forum http://windowssecrets.com/forums/forumd ... 92752e0622 and Ask Woody http://www.askwoody.com/2016/time-to-upgrade-to-win10/ - two of my goto sources without being convinced. But that said 10 seems to be the choice of many so likely not flop that Millenium or Win 8 was.
Bill Davis
Olympus BH-2/BHS and BH-2/BHT both with trinoc head.

gekko

#3 Post by gekko » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:41 pm

Many thanks, Bill, for your quick reply and for the links. I asked because I still can upgrade to 10 free. I would stay with 7 if I knew that MS would still support it (particularly as far as security updates are concerned), but I'm worried that they would stop support as they did with XP. I'll check the links. Thank you again.

JimT

#4 Post by JimT » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:53 pm

My version of PS is quite old and was for Windows XP. I had to work at it to make it run on Windows 7. I have other programs from XP that I got to work on Windows 7. Last thing I want to do is upgrade to Windows 10 and have to buy all new software:-(

JimT

gekko

#5 Post by gekko » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:13 pm

Thank you, JimT. Yes, that is another worry: whether my present software will run on 10, and also drivers.

gekko

#6 Post by gekko » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:18 pm

After looking at the links that Bill Davis provided (many thanks, Bill), it seems MS will support Windows 7 until 2020. So I decided to stay with 7, and I'll cross that bridge when I come to it (if I'm still above ground).
Thank you all for your helpful comments.

Crater Eddie

#7 Post by Crater Eddie » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:28 pm

I run 10 on a laptop and desktop at home with no problems other than it killing some older software, declined updating another home laptop because of fear that other older software would no longer work. I updated my office computer at work from 7 to 10 and everything was fine for a while, but after a couple of weeks random problems started cropping up. Eventually I decided to revert back to 7 and all the problems went away.
I would say that if you have no compelling reason to update to 10 you are better off staying with 7.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

apochronaut

#8 Post by apochronaut » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:37 pm

I took the free upgrade and regret it. It's on a fairly mid grade Dell laptop. I also have Linux 13 on it, which I use for just about everything but since I had Windows 7 originally and had uploaded a bunch of images to it, I thought Windows 10 would improve on Windows 7's shoddy performance and I could keep the image bank intact and coherent. I kepr everything but there is no improvement in performance really. It has a smartphone feel to it with apps now, instead of programs. The layout is more smartphonish and it seems to be running a lot of crap in the background, that causes heat and the fan runs more often. I think it communicates with home base a lot more so is broadcasting a lot of nonesense to microsoft. t's always telling me I need to upgrade security. There is no need to upgrade security for image storage and 2 hours a week of internet use. It's justb a sales pitch for McAfee. I don't even have any security on Linux and never need it.
Linux does have all the compatible programs that microsoft has anyway, I just haven't taken the time to explore a full conversion. As a user friendly operating system , Linux kind of combines the best of Microsoft and Apple and is far more stable than microsoft in particular and it is open source, free and has all the bells and whistles anyone would want. Most large servers use Unix( LInux) and only a scattering use microsoft, so that should indicate something.
The other really annoying thing about Windows 10 is it's boot up. It is slow , and doesn't boot up in one go. I have to boot it up and then shut off and boot again. I realize this is a glitch of some kind and may be related to running LInux in parallel but that was never the case with Windows 7 , so Windows 10 seems to be doing something wrong. I also sometimes have trouble switching back over to Linux, which is really annoying and that also was never a problem with Windows 7.
Anyone wanting to upgrade a non-mac computer to a better system, should seriously entertain downloading Linux...16 or 17, I think now. It takes about 2 hours. You can still keep your windows 7 and have the option to use either and if you don't like the Linux, then just remove it but I was surprised how LInux makes microsoft systems seem like cheap junk

JimT

#9 Post by JimT » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:50 pm

One more weigh in.

I have two desk tops and a lap top. The old desk top is "Really" old and running XP. I use it because it has some Windows 95 software that only works on that PC. Other desk top and lap top run Windows 7 and I have no intention of ever changing them.

JimT

gekko

#10 Post by gekko » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:57 am

Thank you very much, apochronaut, for your very helpful reply. Some years ago, while I was working, I did use Linux for most things (word processing, spreadsheet, data analysis, email, web browsing, etc.) but had to use Windows to use tax software. For image work, I used gimp, but at the time it did not support my scanner nor my printer adequately and did not have color management, so making prints was a hit or miss affair and I wasted a lot of ink and photo paper. After I retired I no longer needed to work on data, so I started using Windows exclusively and replaced gimp with Photoshop Elements which supported color management and my printer.
Thank you for the warnings and for the suggestion to move to Linux (my son also always urges me to do that). At this stage of my life, I am reluctant to have to deal with moving over to a different operating system (even one that at one point I had used), and I'd rather stay with what I know. But now I am sure that I don't want to go to Windows 10, thanks to all the information you and others have provided.

gekko

#11 Post by gekko » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:00 am

Thank you again, JimT. Yes, I am now totally convinced. The only reason I considered going to 10 was that I didn't know for how long Microsoft was planning to support Windows & with security updates, but now I found out that they will do so until at least 2020.

wmodavis

#12 Post by wmodavis » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:07 pm

And for what it's worth Woody had this note on the new Win 10 build today

"Windows 10 beta build 14371, released yesterday, has a new technology that centers around a new “Activation Troubleshooter.” Like most kludges, it introduces more problems than it solves. InfoWorld Woody on Windows"
Bill Davis
Olympus BH-2/BHS and BH-2/BHT both with trinoc head.

gekko

#13 Post by gekko » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:16 pm

Thank you again, Bill. I am definitely staying with Windows 7, and will also explore the possibility of going to Linux (as suggested by apochronaut), depending on what applications and drivers are available for that platform and how fiddly the installation will likely be.

Radazz

#14 Post by Radazz » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:18 pm

Personally, I feel the only reason to go beyond 7 for now would be touch screen.
Arnold, Missouri
Olympus IX70
Olympus BX40
Olympus SZ40

admin
Site Admin

#15 Post by admin » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:50 pm

I am also running Windows 10, and generally am satisfied, but I experience some (driver ?) problems with my microscope camera. I do not know if this is Win 10 specific though. Specifically, the USB 3 microscope camera sometimes connects with USB 2 speed, and I have not figured out why. There is the old rule: "never touch a running system".

When upgrading, I generally do not overwrite the old hard disk, but buy a new one and then do a fresh install there. If something goes wrong, then I can always re-connect the original hard disk with the old operating system. Just a recommendation.

Oliver.
Science may set limits to knowledge, but should not set limits to imagination.
(Bertrand Russell)

gekko

#16 Post by gekko » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:33 am

Radazz wrote:Personally, I feel the only reason to go beyond 7 for now would be touch screen.
Thank you. My monitor does not have touch-screen capability anyway.

gekko

#17 Post by gekko » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:36 am

admin wrote:I am also running Windows 10, and generally am satisfied, but I experience some (driver ?) problems with my microscope camera. I do not know if this is Win 10 specific though. Specifically, the USB 3 microscope camera sometimes connects with USB 2 speed, and I have not figured out why. There is the old rule: "never touch a running system".

When upgrading, I generally do not overwrite the old hard disk, but buy a new one and then do a fresh install there. If something goes wrong, then I can always re-connect the original hard disk with the old operating system. Just a recommendation.

Oliver.
Thank you very much, Oliver, for the very good advice: I will keep it in mind for the future. Hard disk prices are low enough to make this a fail-safe method. I've declined the offer for a free upgrade and I'm sticking with Windows 7 after reading all the helpful advice above.

billbillt

#18 Post by billbillt » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:37 pm

I am still using XP... I see no reason to upgrade for what I do..

BillT

Dale

#19 Post by Dale » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:59 pm

Oliver, I know this is waaay off topic so I'll be brief. Did you ever find a way to fasten
an optical drive lens to a cell phone camera lens?
Dale
B&L Stereozoom 4. Nikon E600. AO Biostar 1820.

admin
Site Admin

#20 Post by admin » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:27 pm

Dale,

In issue 50 of the magazine, I reported about putting a CD ROM lens in front of an iPad camera. I did not glue it on. I would probably try to glue the lens to a microscope slide (on the side) using silicone and then somehow hold the slide in front of the camera. But the slide increases the distance as well.

Oliver
Science may set limits to knowledge, but should not set limits to imagination.
(Bertrand Russell)

Dale

#21 Post by Dale » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:19 pm

Thanks Oliver. I have a box of old drives and phones labeled Oliver's Project. Just waiting for time.
Dale
B&L Stereozoom 4. Nikon E600. AO Biostar 1820.

alanrogger007

#22 Post by alanrogger007 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:50 am

I encountered an issue with the chrome which suddenly chrome keeps crashing windows 10 and not at all opening. Please help me to fix this.

billbillt

#23 Post by billbillt » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:04 pm

alanrogger007 wrote:I encountered an issue with the chrome which suddenly chrome keeps crashing windows 10 and not at all opening. Please help me to fix this.
I use XP and don't have that trouble.. I suggest to install and older version of Chrome and try that...

Regards,
BillT

coominya

#24 Post by coominya » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:26 am

alanrogger007 wrote:I encountered an issue with the chrome which suddenly chrome keeps crashing windows 10 and not at all opening. Please help me to fix this.
Perhaps uninstall and then reload it? I use firefox, it has the odd crash but it never crashes the OS. It never used to crash either until I updated it and the new platform is not as good. I hate updates, I almost never employ them because of the bugs they introduce.

Lennywat

#25 Post by Lennywat » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:50 am

Perhaps just a problem with the drivers, look through the task manager - processes

mrsonchus

#26 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:27 pm

Hi, my very first action would be to ensure that Windows Update is up-to-date and all updates are installed. This is a very underrated aspect of Windows 10 - it really does make a huge difference to the everyday operational efficiency of your machine. If Windows 10 has an update either downloaded and ready to install or just ready or partially downloaded but not completed it will cripple your machine in terms of speed until you go to update and enable it to complete - once a month - yippee! :D

John B.
John B

MicroBob

#27 Post by MicroBob » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:46 pm

If you don't like the Windows 8.1-on start menu you can buy a program called "Startisback" and have your Windows 7 start menu back. I have used it for 2 years now and never had a problem with Windows 8.1. It costs just 3$.

Bob

Kilo_SSK

#28 Post by Kilo_SSK » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:36 pm

I got a computer that had Windows 10 installed on it before the purchase one year and a half ago. And it was Slow. As. FFfffHELL. It's more demanding on the computer's hardware than the former systems, and since it was a laptop, there was no way to upgrade it. The fun part being that I bought it just before working on a big project; it was at my former job, I had to write a 50-page analysis about the real estate market and investments in Portugal this is what it looks like, but in 50 pages!

So, around the 15th page, after the 3rd access of uncontrollable rage, I transferred the Windows 8.1 license from my previous computer on this one, and working on it quickly became much smoother. In fact, I'm writing on it right now!

JackMcConnick

#29 Post by JackMcConnick » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:35 am

I have been using Win 10 since its release, because I like new shiny things. Until recently, I heard various rumors regarding Microsoft tricking people into upgrading to Windows 10, and they are being really shade.
- A so called gwx-application (the app that is responsible for the upgrade) was installed as part of a "security update", so even people who only want the most necessary updates got that application installed. This resulted in getting prompts telling you to upgrade constantly.

- When people found a way to disable that first gwx-app. Microsoft included a second gwx-app as part of a security update again.

- The prompts telling you to upgrade didn't have a "cancel" option at some point. You had to close the window to get out of it. And later you only would see a prompt telling you that your update was scheduled. No way out.

Some people don't want to upgrade because some of their apps might not be compatible with Windows 10. Etc, etc, etc.
If i'm not online, I'm probably blogging @ Telescopes for Kids | CleverMicro | EatrBox | CaMenGo

hussain9909

#30 Post by hussain9909 » Sat May 04, 2019 6:41 am

Am I the only one who thinks Windows 7 was way better than Windows 10?