Zeiss Optovar or Intermediate Pol tube

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
pdxhiker

Zeiss Optovar or Intermediate Pol tube

#1 Post by pdxhiker » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:50 pm

Hi - I have a Zeiss Standard which I want to upgrade to DIC gradually, I understand that both Optovar and Intermediate Pol tube piece has slot for inserting analyzer. But I also think Optovar has other features (magnification, bertrand lens etc). Can I skip buying Intermediate Pol and and get an Optovar to avoid duplication of the equipment.
Compound
Standard 14/15/18 (not sure) | Illuminator 100 with 12V PS| Trinocular tube
PH Condenser Ph2,3, BF, DF | 6.3x Plan, 16x,25x, 40x,100x(Oil),Neofular Ph2 & Ph3, 40x PlanAPO Iris | 10x Eyepiece

Oktagon

Re: Zeiss Optovar or Intermediate Pol tube

#2 Post by Oktagon » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:52 pm

All you need for transmitted light DIC are 2 Pol filters and 2 DIC prizms. One Pol filter goes on the DIC comdenser (Type 1 or type 2, get Type 1 and type 1 slider with single arrow, and you don't need individual prisms for the objectives). Than get POl (PAL) binocular head, and you don't need anything else, as long as Optovar has a slot for slider. I have never seen an Opttovar for Standard with slots, but you don't really need an Optovar, you can just get an intermediate tube. Personally, I only have Optovars on my Universal and ICM-405. I don't have them on my Standard WL and GFL.

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:08 pm

My Optovar has 1x, 1.25x, 1.6x and 2x magnifiers, a Bertrand lens and a Polarized filter (analyser) - there are however several different versions.
Here is a link to an article on the Optovar: http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... tovar.html

and a link to the 4 different DIC systems that are compatible with the Zeiss Standards: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1543

Some Optovar variations: (Mine is a 47 30 52 - 9901)
See page 88 of the Zeiss Optical Systems brochure http://www.science-info.net/docs/zeiss/ ... ystems.pdf
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

pdxhiker

#4 Post by pdxhiker » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:03 pm

Oktagon wrote:All you need for transmitted light DIC are 2 Pol filters and 2 DIC prizms. One Pol filter goes on the DIC comdenser (Type 1 or type 2, get Type 1 and type 1 slider with single arrow, and you don't need individual prisms for the objectives). Than get POl (PAL) binocular head, and you don't need anything else, as long as Optovar has a slot for slider. I have never seen an Opttovar for Standard with slots, but you don't really need an Optovar, you can just get an intermediate tube. Personally, I only have Optovars on my Universal and ICM-405. I don't have them on my Standard WL and GFL.
thank you, so the optovar has a slot for inserting analyzer, so I guess I can let go intermediate tube and still get additional benefits of magnification when not using DIC. 75RR mentioned 4 different setups for DIC below, based on what you said the latest with 2 while T markings are not the one you suggest, is there a model number of condenser with one Arrow you suggested here. Here is what my understanding for DIC.

1. DIC Condenser
2. Intermediate tube/Optovar with analyzer slot
3. Rotary analyzer
4. Achromat objectives
5. Objective holder with slots for DIC prisms.
Compound
PH Condenser Ph2,3, BF, DF | 6.3x Plan, 16x,25x, 40x,100x(Oil),Neofular Ph2 & Ph3, 40x PlanAPO Iris | 10x Eyepiece

Charles

#5 Post by Charles » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:54 pm

There are different types of intermediate pieces to add Pol/DIC/Optovar.

The one with the Optovar may or may not have a flip in Pol filter. The ones that do, have a small lever in the back to flip in or out the pol filter. With these there is no provision for a slide in single DIC beam, but you can get DIC by using individual DIC prisms which screws between the objective turret and the objective. You would need a separate DIC prism for each power objective. For instance you would need the 16X DIC prism to work with your 16X objective, a 40X DIC prism for your 40X, etc. You would need the newer style S/T DIC condenser for this.

There is also an intermediate piece which has the large opening for the single DIC beam to slide in but it does not have the optivar. The single DIC beam has both a polarizer and a DIC prism, so no polarizer/analyzer is needed and you would need the older style single arrow DIC condenser.

There is a third intermediate piece which has a build in polarizer/analyzer which also can be rotated. There is no large opening for a single DIC beam and can be used like the Optvar one with indivdual DIC prisms.

For DIC, you need starting from the bottom:

-Polarizer (ideally it should be rotating.
-DIC condenser with DIC prisms.
-Proper objectives (normally Plan Achro 6.3X 16X, 40X, 100X and PlanAPO 63X. Some Neofluar objectives can also be used.)
-DIC prism above the objective (either individual for each objective or the single beam DIC)
-Analyzer (the single beam DIC already has the analyzer with the DIC prism)

pdxhiker

#6 Post by pdxhiker » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:31 pm

thanks Optovar comes with an analyser slot, so I think one less equipment if moving to DIC.

Also the magnification offered by Optovar, is it corrected for resolution or empty magnification.
Compound