Are there any tools/techniques that automate stacking AND stitching together?

Here you can discuss topics such as focus stacking, stitching and other techniques that relate to the processing of micrographs.
billben74

Are there any tools/techniques that automate stacking AND stitching together?

#1 Post by billben74 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:34 pm

Hello everyone.
I'm asking general information request to see if anyone knows of techniques/actual automatic tools (software) that can allow both stacking and stitching.
My first thought is that Image J can do this, and I believe, but have never tried, that you can tie Zerine Stacker to a stack + stitch automated proccess. I don't know how to do this, and will (possible slowly) look into this.

Does anyone else have knowledge in the stack +stitch automation question?

JimT

Re: Are there any tools/techniques that automate stacking AND stitching together?

#2 Post by JimT » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:48 am

Not me. I stack with Combine ZP and stich in PS. Have you done an internet search?

Nice thing about doing them separately is better control plus I think the stitching would confuse the stacking program.

Let us know what you find out.

JimT

75RR

Re: Are there any tools/techniques that automate stacking AND stitching together?

#3 Post by 75RR » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:31 am

There are several image stacking software packages around (Helicon and Zerene are but two) An internet search will provide more.
They list their capabilities on their web pages. I use Photoshop CS4 simply because I already had it - it does very basic stacking and stitching, but not as one process. I do not find the two steps needed to be a problem.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

johan

#4 Post by johan » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:17 pm

Peter Lin has been showing off a good stack and stitch package recently - https://www.facebook.com/groups/mjkzzfs/

lorez

#5 Post by lorez » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:43 pm

resized2-20X-Lupin-copy_edited-1.jpg
resized2-20X-Lupin-copy_edited-1.jpg (398.33 KiB) Viewed 9215 times
This image was an initial test of a software package that is under development and not yet available. The stem section was about 8mm in diameter. There are horizontal and vertical white lines which are artifacts of the process and are due to my inexperience. They were eliminated in subsequent tests. This process is completely automatic and can be done with any objective. The slide is moved across the stage and the camera captures and processes the images as they are collected. It works for stacking and stitching, but at this point my experience is only with the stitching. The file sizes are gigantic, but produce what I would call the "low magnification" view with the "high magnification" resolution. I did some background cleanup and evening as the program does not record where there is no image.

lorez

#6 Post by lorez » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:40 pm

This is a greatly reduced image that is also a product of the automatic stitching process which is also called tiling. The original was 344MB and the posted image is 165kb. When projected on the wall the image was dramatic. Again, there was some significant manipulation of the background, but no manipulation of the image.
Attachments
Ginkgo-(20x)-Adjusted-Lighting-copy.jpg
Ginkgo-(20x)-Adjusted-Lighting-copy.jpg (164.7 KiB) Viewed 9207 times

billben74

#7 Post by billben74 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:55 pm

Hello. That is all very interesting.
Lorez, I would be interested to know about the software when its ready...
I'm interested in the idea of tiling too. In fact I'm going to start a thread on that....