Garlic skin (through EasyZoom)

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
gekko

Garlic skin (through EasyZoom)

#1 Post by gekko » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:12 pm

Garlic skin (cross-polarized light, 10x objective).

Manfred

Re: Garlic skin (through EasyZoom)

#2 Post by Manfred » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:22 pm

Great shot old chap, I suppose polarised lightning?

billben74

#3 Post by billben74 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:44 pm

Nice. I wonder what the bifiringent objects are?

75RR

#4 Post by 75RR » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:09 pm

Nice. Pol at its best. Would be nice to see a non-easyzoom image as well.
I wonder what the bifiringent objects are?
I believe they are oxalate crystals.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

JimT

#5 Post by JimT » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:35 pm

Nice. Pol at its best. Would be nice to see a non-easyzoom image as well.
I agree with 75RR.

gekko

#6 Post by gekko » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:17 am

Manfred, billben, 75RR, and JimT: Thank you all very much for your kind comments.

billben, the birefringent crystals are, as 75RR has indicated, calcium oxalate.

75RR and JimT: I'm not sure what you mean exactly. I can't upload the picture directly to the forum as it is much too large. If you want to see what it would look like without EasyZoom, simply zoom in to the maximum size. This will give you what the original looks like when cropped to the size of the EasyZoom window. If you now click on the four arrows in the top right corner, you will see a larger window (or a larger crop) from the same image. And you can drag the image to see parts that are outside the window. Once you start zooming out, then you will be seeing what EasyZoom is doing (downsizing the image). At least that is my understanding. Is there a very slight (imperceptible) deterioration of the zoomed-in image relative to the original, e.g. due to some compression? I don't know, but I doubt it is significant at this level; if Martin sees this, he may be able to answer this question.

I hope this is somewhat helpful; if not, I apologize. I could, I guess, simply crop a small part of the original image and post that. Please let me know if you thank that would be useful, and I'll do it.

Rodney

#7 Post by Rodney » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:00 am

I don`t have easy zoom so I can`t really say much other than thanks for posting what you obtained. The best I can tell with my eyes the EasyZoom is a good bit below in quality by other means that can be used to provide better details or resolution.
I do think that it would be a good tool to help keep people interested in the tiny world of microscopy.
Thanks for your results,,
Rodney :)

easyzoom

#8 Post by easyzoom » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:53 am

@Rodney / @gekko:
To clarify the EasyZoom usage:

EasyZoom is best compared to YouTube (like it is a YouTube for high-resolution images). You cannot "have" EasyZoom as it is not an installable software, but it's a web-based service just like YouTube.

In order to not have to host huge images yourself and have a software on your server to show them, you just upload them to EasyZoom, share or embed them via link - super simple. Also, you can annotate the images, so people can learn from you. Also, you can allow others to annotate your images (they could ask questions on structures, etc). The images are converted into a format, in which they are presentable at a high speed over the internet (YouTube also converts your videos). In that process, there may be a minor loss of quality, which should be unnoticable to the human eye.

We still have one flaw, which we will have fixed in 1 week or so: currently, you can zoom one level deeper than the level where 1 pixel of image compares to 1 pixel of your screen. Due to that effect the image blows up double the size than it is and thus may be at the deepest level somewhat blurry (as 2 pixels on the screen now show 1 pixel of the image). As I said: will be fixed in 1 week, you don't have to re-upload any images :)

@Rodney: Would be happy, if you register at easyzoom.com and try our service. It really makes a lot of sense for huge images (stitched). Have a look at the great bug there:
https://easyzoom.com/image/94360/new

Best regards
Martin
Last edited by easyzoom on Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gekko

#9 Post by gekko » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:45 pm

Thanks, Martin, for the correction and explanation. Yes, I didn't realize that it can zoom up further than the original size, and I think it would be a good thing to fix it so it doesn't.

billbillt

#10 Post by billbillt » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:10 pm

Thanks, Martin.. I found your EazyZoom easy to use with no problems for me yet...

Thanks,
BillT

Seb28

#11 Post by Seb28 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:17 pm

Very nice Gekko.
-Reichert Polyvar
-Olympus IX70
-Zeiss Photomicroscope
-Canon 600D

gekko