Need advice on buying my first microscope

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
montereybob

Need advice on buying my first microscope

#1 Post by montereybob » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:30 pm

I'm about to plunge into microscopy as a hobby for the first time. I have done a lot of book study on biology and microbiology just because it all fascinates me. Now I want to explore whatever small biological specimens I can with a microscope. My budget for a microscope is below $500. In that range, which brand names should I be looking at for quality? Also, best places to purchase either new or used? I live in Kansas, USA.

apochronaut

Re: Need advice on buying my first microscope

#2 Post by apochronaut » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:00 pm

Your money will go farther buying a used microscope. You can buy an acceptable new microscope for 500.00 but it is what it is. It is possible to upgrade one of those later to give much better optical performance but for the same 500.00, if you are patient and diligent you can find an older one built to much higher standards that already achieves that level of optical performance and has the capacity to be upgraded further.

montereybob

#3 Post by montereybob » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:02 pm

apochronaut wrote:Your money will go farther buying a used microscope. You can buy an acceptable new microscope for 500.00 but it is what it is. It is possible to upgrade one of those later to give much better optical performance but for the same 500.00, if you are patient and diligent you can find an older one built to much higher standards that already achieves that level of optical performance and has the capacity to be upgraded further.

Thanks. What brands do you recommend?

lorez

#4 Post by lorez » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:47 pm

Just as I am downsizing, you are looking for a good microscope. If you are interested send me a pm.

lorez

Crater Eddie

#5 Post by Crater Eddie » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:48 am

With a low message count he might not be able to pm you Lorez.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

lorez

#6 Post by lorez » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:45 am

That's a detail I completely overlooked, or never considered. I have a couple of Olympus KHC models that are fully serviced and in good condition that may be of interest. Most of my triocular models are a little on the higher side so will not fit the budget constraints.

carlh6902

#7 Post by carlh6902 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:55 pm

montereybob wrote:I'm about to plunge into microscopy as a hobby for the first time. I have done a lot of book study on biology and microbiology just because it all fascinates me. Now I want to explore whatever small biological specimens I can with a microscope. My budget for a microscope is below $500. In that range, which brand names should I be looking at for quality? Also, best places to purchase either new or used? I live in Kansas, USA.
What part of Kansas are you in? I live in Olathe.

Carl
--- If you're in the Kansas City area and you need help with an Olympus BH-2 scope, PM me. I love to work on these things ---