Naturalist's Microscope

This is the place where collectors can discuss their passion.
lorez

Naturalist's Microscope

#1 Post by lorez » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:42 am

Hello all,

I've had this microscope in my collection for many years. It's commonly called a Naturalist's Microscope, a Botanical Microscope, or a Flea Glass. It is a small single, or double lens instrument where the lens is mounted in a brass ring which is, in turn, mounted on a hinged arm attached to an ivory handle. There is a focusing bar for the specimen clamp, or needle, that allows the specimen holder to be moved into a position of focus where it is secured by a knurled nut. The microscope folds upon itself for storage in a small fiberboard case covered with embossed paper. The dimensions of the case are about 3" X 1.25" X .75"

Although unsigned it may possibly be attributed to William & Samuel Jones and as such was introduced in the late 1700's. The style was popular through the nineteenth century and is, in most likely much smaller numbers, still in use in the twenty-first century.

This composite gives an idea of how the scope fits into the case. The photo of the dried sedum flower was taken through the lens of the microscope with my iPhone5.

lorez
Attachments
Naturalist's-Microscope.jpg
Naturalist's-Microscope.jpg (421.17 KiB) Viewed 4626 times

Mintaka

Re: Naturalist's Microscope

#2 Post by Mintaka » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:48 am

What a clever way of passing a specimen of interest around a room full of people by means of fixing the object in relation to the lens, and the requirement of manipulating the whole set up be simply grabbing hold of the handle. A really nice collectable. Was it purchased or inherited?

gekko

#3 Post by gekko » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:03 pm

Thank you, lorez, for sharing this very interesting and clever instrument with us and for the excellent description and images.

lorez

#4 Post by lorez » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:02 pm

Thanks for the comments, mintaka and gekko. This microscope is so simple and reliable that it is very easy to mount a specimen and pass the microscope around.

I purchased the scope twenty years, or so, ago for an undisclosed amount. I will admit that one of the motivating thoughts at the time was, "they aren't making these any more".

lorez

75RR

#5 Post by 75RR » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:52 pm

That is very nice. Practical too.
Leaves one hand free for sketching or writing notes.
Glad you included an "action pic", brings it to life.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

vasselle

#6 Post by vasselle » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:58 am

Bonjour.
Très belle objet tout simplement magnifique.
Merci pour le partage.
Cordialement seb
Microscope Leitz Laborlux k
Boitier EOS 1200D + EOS 1100D