New user and beginner and zeiss microscope questions

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
zzzxtreme

New user and beginner and zeiss microscope questions

#1 Post by zzzxtreme » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:21 pm

Hello, I'm new to the forum. And would like to try photography thru microscope.

Checking some online, I found one with this description :

"This is the Carl Zeiss Jena Laboval 4 Microscope, equipped with a pair of Carl Zeiss Jena P10X (18) microscope eyepieces. Also comes with a Zeiss HI 100 1.25 100X Microscope Objective, Zeiss 3.2/0.10 160/-, 40X Microscope Objective 40 / 0.65 160 / 0.17 lens, and also a Zeiss Objective Lens 10 X / 0.25 160/-"

Is this ok to start? Or overkill? I reckon I need somekind of eyepiece to camera adapter? I have an m4/3 camera. That part I'm confused about. I think it doesn't have c-mount port

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

zzffnn

Re: New user and beginner and zeiss microscope questions

#2 Post by zzffnn » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:37 pm

Welcome to the forum.

That is a good microscope to start with. Its 40x and 100x objectives may be overkill, if you only view insects. It is good for pond protists.

I use this adapter and it works for all my microscope tubes:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OG ... UTF8&psc=1

Last photo of the listing shows how it connects to microscope eye tube. Basically, its bottom part holds microscope eye tube, while its upper rim has a T (42mm) mount and connects to camera lens/body.

I have a m4/3 camera too. You can use a Sigma 30mm F2.8 lens, connect the frontal thread of the Sigma lens to T mount, then connect the camera assembly to scope eye tube with 10x visual eyepiece installed normally. The eyepiece resides inside the connector and eye tube. View field that camera sees is very similar to visual view field that way.

Centration / optical alignment is important for good image quality. Also avoid system vibration. Try to use a camera with electronic (silent) shutter. Panasonic GH4 / GH5 of Olympus Pen F are said to be good choices.
Last edited by zzffnn on Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JimT

#3 Post by JimT » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:58 am

Zzzxtreme, not familiar with the scope but on line it looks good. I would also look for a 20X obj. as I don't think you will use the 100X very much.

Good luck.

zzzxtreme

#4 Post by zzzxtreme » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:02 am

thanks guy. I think I'll pass on that one, since it doesn't have cmount adapter and priced a bit high for a used one. A local store is selling Levenhuk 870T and 670T. Wondering if 670T is enough? the seller says 870T has "plan apochromat". but it's a difference of $260

zzffnn

#5 Post by zzffnn » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:23 pm

Did you mean trinocular tube, instead of "C mount adapter"? I don't think you have to use a C mount, it is narrower than a T mount and more prone to internal light reflection.

zzzxtreme

#6 Post by zzzxtreme » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:35 pm

zzffnn wrote:Did you mean trinocular tube, instead of "C mount adapter"? I don't think you have to use a C mount, it is narrower than a T mount and more prone to internal light reflection.
Oh yes, a trinocular tube. I thought it's all cmount.the carl zeiss doesn't have any holes to attach tubes. Except maybe the eye piece itself.

Here's some pics of the zeiss
https://www.flickr.com/gp/zzzxtreme/2CVyzR

Zeiss : $330

Levenhuk 870t : $750

Will I be able to do darkfield with zeiss (insert camera to eyepiece or using bellows+tripod) ? Are the optics good compared to levenhuk's "plan achromat"?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated

zzffnn

#7 Post by zzffnn » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:47 pm

DIY darkfield at 4x-40x objective can be done with a simple opague disc that is large enough to block direct light, as viewed from objective back focal plane (when peek down eye tube without eyepiece).

Darkfield performance is not affected by camera connection, as long as you align everything well.

Camera connection depends on your exact trinocular tube and exact scope, when you are not connecting to a visual tube.

Those two scopes' optics are likely comparable.

wstenberg

#8 Post by wstenberg » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:22 pm

Nice looking Zeiss! You can always add the trinocular tube later if you find you really need it. Might be a few hundred dollars to find a used one to fit the Zeiss.
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar