Olivine from Hawaii

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
Dale

Olivine from Hawaii

#1 Post by Dale » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:30 pm

Paid a visit to Lumahei Beach, here on Kaui, and scooped up a little ‘green sand.’ Be
glad to share, if you will send me an sase with a small ziplock type bag for the sand.
Want more? Send bigger !
I am still on Kauai, but can start mailing in a week. Please note my new address:
Dale Fiorillo
551 Jones Farm Rd
Sequim, Wa 98382

Aloha
B&L Stereozoom 4. Nikon E600. AO Biostar 1820.

lorez

Re: Olivine from Hawaii

#2 Post by lorez » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:18 pm

Please don't forget me.

lorez

lorez

#3 Post by lorez » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:07 pm

It looks as though I need an updated email.

lorez

Dale

#4 Post by Dale » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:11 pm

You, sir, are no.1, and never to be forgotten. Every time I go in my closet
I stumble over 3 huge scopes, and I mutter something about that Lorez!!!
There is a secret cave on the South of Kauai, where I will be in 2019. I hope
to wrangle permission to get a small sample of their rare green sand.
Aloha

oh, I should fix that. it is dalejohnfiorillo@outlook.com

lorez

#5 Post by lorez » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:00 pm

outlook does not like me. send a PM

lorez

MichaelBrock

#6 Post by MichaelBrock » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:26 am

I am just starting out but collecting sand is definitely on my short list! The sand here in Florida seems rather generic compared to the sands in Hawaii! I'll get a SASE on it's way to you if you don't mind.

Thanks,

Michael

Dale

#7 Post by Dale » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:15 am

No wiki, oops that’s Hawaiian, I mean no hurry. I did not collect much, only a few cups, as it is a
semi-private and sacred beach. There should be alot of olivine in it.

MichaelBrock

#8 Post by MichaelBrock » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:18 pm

I received my sand today! Quite a bit more interesting than my local sand, with quite a bit larger grains. Taken with a point-and-shoot camera and my biological microscope at 40x magnification. Side lighting (Ikea lamp).

MichaelBrock

#9 Post by MichaelBrock » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:24 pm

Another picture, this one with a white background (white paper right under the stage).

Dale

#10 Post by Dale » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:28 pm

Thank you for pix. All I have at the moment is a 10X loupe! Enjoy,
Dale

lorez

#11 Post by lorez » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:44 pm

Michael Brock,

Very nice photos, Michael. I have a couple of questions. First, when magnification is mentioned, at what point is the calculation being done ? A scale bar would go a long way in clarifying size, but I completely understand the limitations of the point and shoot camera so this is not a criticism. If these sand grains are the same sample as I received I wonder about the comparison you made to you local sand. As I compare my sample from Dale to my local sand it is quite the opposite. A second question is about the illumination. Did you use transmitted light as well as the Ikea lamps ? I looked at my sample and tried to apply some of your techniques, but since I am currently without a microscope mounted camera or desk top illumination, I didn't have enough hands to do it all, so I just looked. I used polarized light with a wave plate in addition to the little LED flash light and the view was amazing.

If you, or anyone reading this, are sand enthusiasts, I would like to visit about some trades.

All the best to everyone in the group.

lorez

MichaelBrock

#12 Post by MichaelBrock » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:45 am

lorez wrote: Very nice photos, Michael. I have a couple of questions. First, when magnification is mentioned, at what point is the calculation being done ? A scale bar would go a long way in clarifying size, but I completely understand the limitations of the point and shoot camera so this is not a criticism. If these sand grains are the same sample as I received I wonder about the comparison you made to you local sand. As I compare my sample from Dale to my local sand it is quite the opposite.
I totally understand with regards to the magnification. Once you factor in the camera, cropping, etc. it doesn't mean much. They were taken with a 4x objective and a 10x eyepiece. I have a few 10x eyepieces with a reticle. I'll have to research that. Some day I'll have a more permanent camera.

The sand grains from Dale are quite a bit larger than the sand I have collected here in Florida, most of which is very fine sugar consistency. And it has a much more diverse composition. The sand here is comprised almost entirely of fractured quartz.
lorez wrote:A second question is about the illumination. Did you use transmitted light as well as the Ikea lamps ? I looked at my sample and tried to apply some of your techniques, but since I am currently without a microscope mounted camera or desk top illumination, I didn't have enough hands to do it all, so I just looked. I used polarized light with a wave plate in addition to the little LED flash light and the view was amazing.
These were taken with no transmitted light at all. Just an Ikea Jansjo lamp pointed at the slide, at about a 45 degree angle. The incidental light seems to make a much more pleasant image given how thick the grains themselves are. I would definitely like to see sand under polarized light when you do get set up for photography.
lorez wrote:If you, or anyone reading this, are sand enthusiasts, I would like to visit about some trades.
I am quickly becoming a enthusiast but at this point my collection is comprised completely of a few sands I ahve collected locally (and I'm an hour from the coast!) and the sand from Dale

lorez

#13 Post by lorez » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:46 am

I am quickly becoming a enthusiast but at this point my collection is comprised completely of a few sands I ahve collected locally (and I'm an hour from the coast!) and the sand from Dale
We are in similar positions with respect to quantities of sand. Through the generosity of Dale and others I have collected about 100 samples from a variety of locations. Since many were sent from Europe the quantities are quite small. I'm keeping my samples in 15ml tubes. What I have above my display tube is reserved for trading and a contribution to the college's "world sand collection".

Future plans include making a slide of each sample and a cabinet to hold the slides... when does retirement start ???

lorez

zzffnn

#14 Post by zzffnn » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:24 am

Last edited by zzffnn on Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

zzffnn

#15 Post by zzffnn » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:31 am

lorez wrote:
We are in similar positions with respect to quantities of sand. Through the generosity of Dale and others I have collected about 100 samples from a variety of locations. Since many were sent from Europe the quantities are quite small. I'm keeping my samples in 15ml tubes. What I have above my display tube is reserved for trading and a contribution to the college's "world sand collection".

Future plans include making a slide of each sample and a cabinet to hold the slides... when does retirement start ???

lorez
Lorez,

What are your top 3 most interesting sand samples? I am just curious.

I have around a dozen sand samples, mostly oceanic ones, from around the world (Trinidad & Tobago, Bahamas, Alaska, ect). I like the Hawaii ones best, which have some micro shells and corals pieces there.

Except for those arranged/selected/micromanipulated sand samples, nothing that I have seen beats this one, IMHO: https://www.google.com/amp/ocean.si.edu ... cope%3Famp

I would really like one of those sand samples. Don't know where it came from though. The diversity of that sample seems almost impossible, though I doubt it is selected/arranged/micromanipulated.

MichaelBrock

#16 Post by MichaelBrock » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:59 am

That sand is definitely unusual! I did a little digging and the photo was taken by David Maitland. He has a website (done entirely in flash...), www.davidmaitland.com. His email address is on the contact page. Would definitely be interesting to know where he collected it. He lives in Norfolk, England and I'm guessing he didn't collect it locally ;)

lorez

#17 Post by lorez » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:59 pm

That's a pretty tough question... all of them have aspects that are interesting. More than the sand, it is the story of acquisition.

Although there are dozens of sites dedicated to sand "swapping" and collection with innumerable members who boast of collections numbering in the thousands of samples, I have found it a bit of a challenge to actually find someone who will swap. It seems that just "not having" a specific sample is not necessarily the catalyst which will lead to a swap. I am not one of those... I have sand that you don't and I will be happy to trade.

Thanks to Dale and all who have helped me with my efforts.

lorez

MichaelBrock

#18 Post by MichaelBrock » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:46 am

I have been looking around for sand swapping sites as well and found the same thing. Lots of suggestion from people that they swap sand but I found none that seem very active. I expected to find a facebook page or two for it but found nothing.

I just bought some sand on Ebay and I'd be glad to trade some with you when that comes in. I'm collecting in 16ml vials currently. Seems like a good volume.

Mike
lorez wrote:
That's a pretty tough question... all of them have aspects that are interesting. More than the sand, it is the story of acquisition.

Although there are dozens of sites dedicated to sand "swapping" and collection with innumerable members who boast of collections numbering in the thousands of samples, I have found it a bit of a challenge to actually find someone who will swap. It seems that just "not having" a specific sample is not necessarily the catalyst which will lead to a swap. I am not one of those... I have sand that you don't and I will be happy to trade.

Thanks to Dale and all who have helped me with my efforts.

lorez

zzffnn

#19 Post by zzffnn » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:24 am

I just didn't find my 17 sand samples that interesting, compared to diatom strews or pond water, based on my peculiar taste. So I wonder what an really interesting natural sand sample would look like.

I mean, the foraminifera star sand from Japan is pretty cool, Hawaii sand samples are decent and have some micro shells, Alaska samples have some color and structural diversity, but the rest (Barbados, Trinidad/Tobago) are kind of plain.

It is probably just me :roll:

lorez

#20 Post by lorez » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:36 am

I just bought some sand on Ebay
This raises an interesting question... "who do you trust?" I imagine there is that unscrupulous entrepreneur who sees that fill sand from the home center looks a lot like that rare sand from just north of the Gobi. There are many collectors who caution against buying anything, but by the same token, I cannot prove the authenticity of any samples I have traded for (except Dale, of course) so I just believe the best and continue my quest.

I will be happy to trade samples. If you would like sand loaded with diatoms I can also provide that. The diatoms are alive when the sand is collected and if I send the sample quickly they will probably be alive when they reach you.

lorez

lorez

#21 Post by lorez » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:43 am

It is probably just me :roll:
Absolutely ! Whom else could it be ? That's what makes if fun. Everyone sees interesting things in different places.

lorez

zzffnn

#22 Post by zzffnn » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:16 am

Lorez,

Your Pensacola, Florida sand is 100% real to GPS coordinates and collected by a trusted microscopist (me) too :twisted:

zzffnn

#23 Post by zzffnn » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:46 am

I am quite peculiar :twisted: As a casual hobbyist, I only care if a sample is interesting-looking or not (if I can use it to amaze myself and my kids). Whether or not it comes from a rare or exotic locality does not really matter to me.

It is just like how I collect seashells. I would never pay $$$ for super rarer shells, if it is not pretty/interesting looking. In fact, most of the rarest collector seashells are not pretty at all - they are just rare and nothing else - that rarity itself can command top dollars from some collectors - though rarity can change, once a new revenue (habitat) is discovered.

lorez

#24 Post by lorez » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:37 am

Your Pensacola, Florida sand is 100% real to GPS coordinates and collected by a trusted microscopist (me) too :twisted:
I have the sample properly documented and catalogued and in it's little display tube. The authenticity is beyond reproach.

Surprisingly, I have only a couple of samples from Florida... so, next time you visit Florida think of me.

lorez

MichaelBrock

#25 Post by MichaelBrock » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:10 am

I understand completely. That's not how I operate, but I definitely understand :D I'm a collector and I have a "collector's attitude". I appreciate just accumulating a variety of things. Obviously the more unique the item is the more collectible it is but like you I don't spend $$ on rare items. In part because I don't have it to spend, but also because there is always something that I don't have that doesn't cost as much. That said, other than postal stamps, sand is the only thing I see collecting to any degree, at least for now. I definitely appreciate the beauty of sand under the microscope , even a pure quartz sand has appeal. And that chance to see something unique is what will keep seeking out more.
zzffnn wrote:I am quite peculiar :twisted: As a casual hobbyist, I only care if a sample is interesting-looking or not (if I can use it to amaze myself and my kids). Whether or not it comes from a rare or exotic locality does not really matter to me.

It is just like how I collect seashells. I would never pay $$$ for super rarer shells, if it is not pretty/interesting looking. In fact, most of the rarest collector seashells are not pretty at all - they are just rare and nothing else - that rarity itself can command top dollars from some collectors - though rarity can change, once a new revenue (habitat) is discovered.

MichaelBrock

#26 Post by MichaelBrock » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:18 am

I have been living in Florida for 8 years and visited many locations but only started collecting sand very recently. I have a grand total of 1 sample collected locally along a stream. I would be happy to trade that of course. I'm hoping to get a chance to go to the coast (one or the other) in a few weeks and start building up some trading stock.

Last night I purchased a few samples from this Ebay seller:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Other-Mineral- ... sn=papurko

Seems trustworthy on its face. He lists 34 samples from various locations in Bulgaria and definitely all unique images. We'll see. The sands all seem quite different from each other.
lorez wrote:
I have the sample properly documented and catalogued and in it's little display tube. The authenticity is beyond reproach.

Surprisingly, I have only a couple of samples from Florida... so, next time you visit Florida think of me.

lorez

zzffnn

#27 Post by zzffnn » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:27 pm

In my naïve and lazy mind, I don’t understand why people would bother to sell fake sand samples.

First, the small profit ($3 per a routine sample?) is probably not worth the effort. You need list it at eBay, write down GPS coordinates, package it and maybe even drive to post office to send it. Only enthusiastic hobbyists would bother to do that.

Second, faking it takes more effort, at least for beach sand, for example. You need to mix in some micro shells.

Third, in such a niche market, buyers may be very knowledgeable and they examine the sand under microscope. For a popular beach from Hawaii, for example, fake sample may be found out sooner or later and seller’s reputation will be ruined, for little financial gain.

I can see how exotic desert sand would be difficult to prove though.

Dale

#28 Post by Dale » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:24 pm

Michael and Lorez, do you need gps data? Does 4 miles SW of the Kalypso
Sports Bar in Hanalei, Kauai work? :x :lol:

MichaelBrock

#29 Post by MichaelBrock » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:56 pm

GPS data would be great if you have it. Right now I'm just using generic coordinates for "Lumahei Beach". 4miles SW of Kalypso Sports Bar appears to be in the mountains :lol:
Dale wrote:Michael and Lorez, do you need gps data? Does 4 miles SW of the Kalypso
Sports Bar in Hanalei, Kauai work? :x

Dale

#30 Post by Dale » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:22 am

oooooooops, I just made a wild guess, my bad. Try 4 miles at 285 deg. Actually, I
was right by the river, half way between the surf and the trees. Can’t do much
better on this Ipad.
I would not go back to that resteraunt, I got mild food poisoning from bad fish.
Probably cause removing sand from Hawaii is cosidered very bad juju.