LOMO compensating optics

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Crater Eddie

Re: LOMO compensating optics

#61 Post by Crater Eddie » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:33 pm

Last night I found some beautiful needle shaped (with flared ends) diatoms in a new pond sample, decided to do a comparison of the LOMO 40x Plan Apo objective with K10x/18 eyepieces on the LOMO L-2-2 stand against the Olympus BH2 with 40x DPLAN objective.
The Olympus setup gave a nice view but with a fair bit of false color around the shell and in the oil droplets inside the diatom.
The LOMO setup gave a nice view with practically no false color in the same areas. Same slide, same diatom. I was very pleased with this result. This was bright field illumination, I did not attempt oblique or anything else.
It might not be as good as it could be if I had all the properly matched parts, but I'm going to call it good, at least for now. If I can get any decent afocal photos I'll put them up.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

billbillt

#62 Post by billbillt » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:05 am

Would like to see them...

BillT

apochronaut

#63 Post by apochronaut » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:14 am

That sounds really positive. Nice to get those chroma out of the way. I'm sure you noticed better overall definition as well. The nice thing is; you can get many of the benefits of an apochromat but at a lower N.A., so your sample and coverslip precision need not be any different than when using a .65 achromat. It was a focused and unique choice for Lomo to make an N.A. .65 apo. I don't think I have seen another one like it. Most are high N.A. with short w.d.'s and mostly, coverslip correction obligatory.