What kind of Bausch and Loan microscope is this?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
DragonClaw

What kind of Bausch and Loan microscope is this?

#1 Post by DragonClaw » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:10 pm

I just got a new microscope for Christmas. Well, old. I haven't used a microscope for a few years. I know the basics, but there's a lot of things I'm still unsure about.

Is there a manual for this?

I want to use it for disease identification in poultry, dogs and cats. And other things like looking at pond water, cultures, etc.

There's no serial number or anything.

But I'm a little lost. Please help. :)

I couldn't figure out the picture thing, so here's a link.

https://sta.sh/21ievt5e6sjv?edit=1

apochronaut

Re: What kind of Bausch and Loan microscope is this?

#2 Post by apochronaut » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:04 pm

It is a Dynazoom. They made them in grey and black, with a 160mm tube length. The later ones, with the words flat field stamped on the front of the head, were black and used different optics, which are not interchangeable, with the 160mm versions.

lorez

#3 Post by lorez » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:59 am

There's no serial number or anything.
Although I was unable to see the photo at the link I am familiar with the microscope. During the time I was affiliated with B&L (independent dealer) all of their microscopes except the high school models ST and IST and later the 254-255 series had serial numbers. They weren't always in the most conspicuous locations, but they were/are there. There are often 31-XX-XX -XX numbers that represent the part number of the component. I'll take a look at a scope tomorrow.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

lorez

DragonClaw

#4 Post by DragonClaw » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:44 pm

I added 3 new pictures. I found two sets of numbers though. Very discreet.

And what's this tiny knob on the top?

Can I move the eyepieces closer together?

The movements seem stiff on raising and lowering the stage. My dad seems to think that's normal and not to oil it. What do you think?

apochronaut

#5 Post by apochronaut » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:49 am

The little knob on top, is the zoom control. The number on the bottom, is likely a casting # and I am pretty sure the # at the back of the stage is the serial #.

Your focusing controls( those that lower and raise the stage), should be velvety smoothwith very little resistance. Unfortunately your Dad is incorrect, if the movements are stiff and the lubricant in the mechanism has dried out some. If you are handy and have enough of the correct tools, often the critical lubricated areas can be softened with a very small amount of shaver oil. It will take time for the oil to emulsify with the old grease. Use a very little bit and use the instrument for a week or so. If there is some improvement, you can go at it again but always with a very little bit and waiting for a week or so.

If there is no improvement, then the mechanism probably needs to be disassembled, cleaned and re-lubricated with the appropriate grease(s). Usually, a hi tack grease or damping grease is used, which both lubricates and clutches at the same time.

MichaelG.

#6 Post by MichaelG. » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:26 am

DragonClaw wrote:I just got a new microscope for Christmas. Well, old. I haven't used a microscope for a few years. I know the basics, but there's a lot of things I'm still unsure about.

Is there a manual for this?
72 page PDF here:
http://www.science-info.net/docs/b-l/Dynazoom.pdf

Happy reading !!

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'