Different solutions to the same problem

This is the place where collectors can discuss their passion.
Radazz

Different solutions to the same problem

#1 Post by Radazz » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:03 pm

I haven’t seen a side by side comparison of microscopes from different manufacturers like this, so I thought I’d do one. My dates are from the ‘How old is that microscope in the window’ document in multiple places on this forum.

The Spencer 13 MLH S/N 217958. 1944 on the left, and a Bausch & Lomb S/N TB9909 1946 on the right.

Interesting how the controls are in so similar positions. An operator could move from one to the other without fumbling.

These were each $50 USD from the bay. When you purchase a $50 microscope, you need to expect to spend some time cleaning it, but these were exceptionally scrotty.

I found the B&L first, and was saying to myself as I cleaned 70 year old fossilized finger oil from between the knurling with a dissecting needle that I would probably never see one this dirty again.

Well...

Then the Spencer arrived. The seller said this microscope was used in his father’s medical practice for 40 years and used daily for urinalysis.
I will in future have a new appreciation for that sentence.
This stand was covered in dry urine. The condenser was covered in the stuff.
The 44x objective looks to have been dipped in it and put away wet. It is pitted by corrosion and the brass collar around the lens is partially rotted away. The mechanical slide clip was not in much better shape. The iron base is rusted and will need paint for the final restoration.

But as you see, an afternoon of elbow grease applied to each and they look pretty nice.
Both work about as well as any 70 year old microscope. Both are a little yellow. Probably mouldy prisms.

Hope someone finds this interesting.
Enjoy
Jim
Last edited by Radazz on Fri May 25, 2018 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Arnold, Missouri
Olympus IX70
Olympus BX40
Olympus SZ40

einman

Re: Different solutions to the same problem

#2 Post by einman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:17 pm

Very nice. You should do an article for the magazine. We need articles!!!

Hobbyst46

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:40 pm

Do I guess correctly that these microscopes can be tilted, so the the mirror is raised, and the eyepieces slope at an angle of about the same slope as on younger microscopes?
That might explain why it was covered with dry urine, perhaps. It would have been tilted when used, so specimens could drip on the tilted stage, from there to the condenser and mirror etc.
Anyway, such a restoration job as you did must have been motivated by deep love and appreciation of microscopes.
Impressive!

Radazz

#4 Post by Radazz » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:51 pm

I’ve been thinking of writing an article on B&L control positions across the late 1940s compared to one from 1959. Mostly would revolve around the position of the fine focus. But that is embryonic at this point.

I would probably put it together in Word and would need to know if Oliver can work with that or if a pdf would be better.
Arnold, Missouri
Olympus IX70
Olympus BX40
Olympus SZ40

Radazz

#5 Post by Radazz » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:57 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:Do I guess correctly that these microscopes can be tilted, so the the mirror is raised, and the eyepieces slope at an angle of about the same slope as on younger microscopes?
That might explain why it was covered with dry urine, perhaps. It would have been tilted when used, so specimens could drip on the tilted stage, from there to the condenser and mirror etc.
Anyway, such a restoration job as you did must have been motivated by deep love and appreciation of microscopes.
Impressive!
Yes they pivot. More used with a monocular tube, I think. Both have interchangeable head systems. I only have one for the B&L scopes.
Not so sure that I, as an operator would want that dribbling into my lap, but each to his own pleasure.
Arnold, Missouri
Olympus IX70
Olympus BX40
Olympus SZ40

KurtM

#6 Post by KurtM » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:55 am

Yes, very interesting post, thanks for taking the time and trouble!

What's the lens fixture (what it looks like) on the #735 lamp in the background in the last photo?
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

lorez

#7 Post by lorez » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:29 am

But as you see, an afternoon of elbow grease applied to each and they look pretty nice.
They certainly do. Very nice. Back in the day when we were doing dozens of these scopes every week we decided to purchase an ultrasonic cleaner. After a few minutes of cooking in a suitable solvent the knurled knobs sparkled.

I'm looking forward to your comparisons.

lorez

Radazz

#8 Post by Radazz » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:21 am

KurtM wrote:Yes, very interesting post, thanks for taking the time and trouble!

What's the lens fixture (what it looks like) on the #735 lamp in the background in the last photo?
That’s a polarizing snoot. An analyzer sandwiched in an eyepiece crosses when I twist it.
Arnold, Missouri
Olympus IX70
Olympus BX40
Olympus SZ40

KurtM

#9 Post by KurtM » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:02 pm

Very interesting - thanks! What does it do for you?
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

Radazz

#10 Post by Radazz » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:25 pm

All cleaned, detailed and waxed.

Arnold, Missouri
Olympus IX70
Olympus BX40
Olympus SZ40

einman

#11 Post by einman » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:03 am

Radazz wrote:I’ve been thinking of writing an article on B&L control positions across the late 1940s compared to one from 1959. Mostly would revolve around the position of the fine focus. But that is embryonic at this point.

I would probably put it together in Word and would need to know if Oliver can work with that or if a pdf would be better.
He can work with Word. That is how I have submitted my articles.

Radazz

#12 Post by Radazz » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:14 pm

Cool, I thought I’d do it in word with post image calls and copy and dump it th the forum. Unless we are talking about the magazine, In which case I need guidelines
Arnold, Missouri
Olympus IX70
Olympus BX40
Olympus SZ40

charlie g

#13 Post by charlie g » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:14 pm

Beautiful acquisitions to your..err..family of stands,Jim. Thanks for sharing these stands, terrific you know the work life of one of them. I always found, with my eBay approx. $50 purchased vintage stands...the shipping cost was another approx. $49 due items weight. I love these black enamel instruments you share with us, Jim. Charlie guevara

Radazz

#14 Post by Radazz » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:37 pm

Thank you all. I’m in the process of photographing the stands to illustrate the comparison.
Arnold, Missouri
Olympus IX70
Olympus BX40
Olympus SZ40