Nikon S-Kt with trinocular head? *edit* with better pics

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
embe

Nikon S-Kt with trinocular head? *edit* with better pics

#1 Post by embe » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:53 pm

Hi All, Joined this forum to learn a bit more about this microscope I came across. Needs a new bulb and some general cleaning/dusting. From what I've researched on-line I believe this to be a S-Kt with trinocular head (feel free to correct if that's not right)?

I imagine the bulb will have a part number on it for identification so I can order a new one? Any other tips or pointers would be appreciated. I haven't had a microscope since I was a kid. :lol:
Attachments
DSCN6533.JPG
DSCN6533.JPG (155.78 KiB) Viewed 5367 times
DSCN6532.JPG
DSCN6532.JPG (205.6 KiB) Viewed 5367 times
Last edited by embe on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charles

Re: Nikon S-Kt with trinocular head?

#2 Post by Charles » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:55 pm

Can't really tell what you have with just a downward view of your scope. A side and/or front view would be better for identification.

Yes, you can search for a bulb with a part number but it may not have one. but the bulb should have Volts and Watts on it. Then you can search by Volts, Watts, type of base and size.

embe

Re: Nikon S-Kt with trinocular head?

#3 Post by embe » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:55 pm

Sorry for the pic quality/link from original post. think I fixed it now

embe

Re: Nikon S-Kt with trinocular head? *edit* with better pics

#4 Post by embe » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:14 am

Wondering if the new pics helped or maybe this is the wrong section (is there a microscope ID section maybe?) Before ordering parts I'd like to confirm a bit more about what the microscope is that I'm getting them for. My internet research got me to the point of a subject title and this forum :) Thanks in advance

apochronaut

#5 Post by apochronaut » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:22 am

your new pictures didn't post.

embe

#6 Post by embe » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:51 am

apochronaut wrote:your new pictures didn't post.
I could be very well doing something wrong. apologize in advance

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AtHRDZHefqhNmlp6Q6MVPmLw3bUp

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AtHRDZHefqhNmlp6Q6MVPmLw3bUp

[*]https://1drv.ms/i/s!AtHRDZHefqhNmlp6Q6MVPmLw3bUp

apochronaut

#7 Post by apochronaut » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:29 pm

The later pictures are smaller. I was hoping to get a good look under the stage but I can see that you are missing a condenser. However, a replacement condenser, should not be too expensive. You will need one in order to make the most of the objectives over 10x.
The microscope does have a few nice features, a little different than the standard SK-T. It has long drop down stage controls, reachable from a hand that is resting on the table, in a comfortable relaxed postion and a nice swing in-out filter holder under the condenser. It seems a little more substantial than the standard version usually attached to the bottom of the condenser. This one might be able to take a second iris diaphragm, which could be used for oblique illumination or an aux. condenser lens.

Your stage is positioned longitudinally, in which the slide is placed with the long dimension front to back. Some might find this position preferable when the microscope is used with the viewing head positioned with the eyepieces directed towards the arm of the microscope because it causes the stage control to be at the back of the stage, closer to the operator. For viewing with the eyepieces positioned away from the arm, or forward, the stage can be rotated so that the dropdown controls are toward the forward left corner of the stage and the slide carrier is lateral.

Do you have a 6v. transformer to power the illuminator for the microscope? The original one looked like this.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Microsco ... SwiONYMUHj
This is in fact a pretty fair price for that transformer, so if you do not have one, I would buy one of those, if I were you.

I have a bulb for your microscope, if you want one. It is 6v. 15 watt. I will send you a p.m. with my email and you can take it from there. They are around 30.00 on Amazon, which means nothing , really but I have 3 or 4 of them, so I can send you one for 15.00. They are Osram, made in Germany; not mis-aligned Chinese knockoffs that will burn out prematurely.

abednego1995

#8 Post by abednego1995 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:09 am

Hi,embe! That's a S-Kt with a type U trinocular head, so the product designation would be SUR-Kt. (typeS arm, typeU head, typeR stage, and with a Kt base) The Kt base already has the transformer+electronics to run the 6V/15W bulb, so you wouldn't need a external source (assuming the electronics are still good. might be better to try measuring the voltage over the socket contacts.) The original ordering number for the bulb is 77903, current part number is MXA20318. Nikon still lists it on their catalog (URL below). If you find similar bulbs, be sure that the positioning flange right beneath the glass is there. Without that flange, the bulb won't seat in the socket.

https://www.nikoninstruments.com/Produc ... net-Flange

Hope this helps!

apochronaut

#9 Post by apochronaut » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:48 pm

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure about the trafo on that version. Hopefully, it is a bulb and not the electronics.