Dusted off the Dynazoom

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
einman

Dusted off the Dynazoom

#1 Post by einman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:58 am

So I took one of the Dynazooms off the shelf. Dusted it off and finally mounted a camera adapter I had purchased quite some time ago. The Canon mounts perfectly. The images are incredible. I checked a KK Diatom test slide and the view was simply incredible! These old scopes are so impressive still. This stand is equipped with Apo objectives and a 1.4 na condenser. It is finicky setting up Koehler. I can't show you any shots as the camera was not tethered and I was actuating the shutter manually with my hand and being Diatoms I might as well have been in an earthquake.
I must say these are beautiful old scopes.

zzffnn

Re: Dusted off the Dynazoom

#2 Post by zzffnn » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:17 am

Nice scope.

Does that condenser say achromat and/or aplanatic? Or just "1.4", which could be an Abbe. I have seen a B&L apo scope with plain Abbé 1.4 condenser, in person.

Have you tried delaying shutter release for >6 seconds and long exposure of about 2" or more? Most DSLR would work for mounted diatoms that way.

einman

#3 Post by einman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:04 pm

It says achromat. I could play with the delay etc by generally I tether it to my laptop and use the EOS utility. That eliminates most if not all blurring. However will try your suggestion once I get back my laptop. It is currently doing desk duty and is connected to a plethora of devices. I need to purchase a docking station to make it easier to move around. My wife absconded with my desktop for her sewing room.

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:22 pm

Bausch & Lomb mfg. several 1.4 condensers up until they switched from a 160mm tube system to the common telescope lens/modified infinity system. A W.A. abbe type, and two achromat aplanats with differing focal lengths. There was a high N.A. quartz condenser too.