A Cyclops

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
Pat Thielen

A Cyclops

#1 Post by Pat Thielen » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:23 am

Finally! I photo of something that isn't trying to kill you. This by by reckoning a copepod known as a cyclops because he only has the one eye. Personally, I think they should be called a Balor; from Celtic mythology. Balor was the king of the Fomorians and had an evil eye he could light up and destroy his enemies. He was quite formidable; his eye would eventually turn red-hot and burn all before it to ashes. Because this little guy has the single red eye I think the description fits. If you want to argue with me about it I can always let the little Balor in on the discussion!

Anyway, this guy was found in a pond amongst the usual algaes and other do-dads. This one obviously doesn't have batches of eggs and I'm not really seeing the things they use to carry their eggs. Is it possible this is underneath out of site? Anyway, these guys are fun to watch bop about -- I'm happy this one was quiet enough to get a photo of. As always, let me know what you think.
Attachments
10x / 0.25, Brightfield, Nikon d810, Photoshop CC
10x / 0.25, Brightfield, Nikon d810, Photoshop CC
micro0014714.jpg (199.98 KiB) Viewed 3620 times
Pat Thielen
Motic BA310, C & A Scientific Premiere SMZ-07, Swift Eleven-Ninety, Swift FM-31, Bausch & Lomb VM349, Olympus CHA
Nikon d810

75RR

Re: A Cyclops

#2 Post by 75RR » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:38 am

Fun catch
Did you attempt to pin it down with the cover slip?
I find it works well as it not only holds the specimen still, but also holds it up against the cover slip - which improves the image.
It takes a bit of practice but by judiciously adding water (I use a split toothpick) and subtracting water (with absorbent paper) one can both pin and then release animacules.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

billben74

#3 Post by billben74 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:20 pm

They are interesting little critters arn't they? Nice shot

Lilly Begonia

#4 Post by Lilly Begonia » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:21 pm

Pat Thielen wrote:Finally! I photo of something that isn't trying to kill you. This by by reckoning a copepod known as a cyclops because he only has the one eye. Personally, I think they should be called a Balor; from Celtic mythology. Balor was the king of the Fomorians and had an evil eye he could light up and destroy his enemies. He was quite formidable; his eye would eventually turn red-hot and burn all before it to ashes. Because this little guy has the single red eye I think the description fits. If you want to argue with me about it I can always let the little Balor in on the discussion!

Anyway, this guy was found in a pond amongst the usual algaes and other do-dads. This one obviously doesn't have batches of eggs and I'm not really seeing the things they use to carry their eggs. Is it possible this is underneath out of site? Anyway, these guys are fun to watch bop about -- I'm happy this one was quiet enough to get a photo of. As always, let me know what you think.

Good catch Pat! I've yet to see one myself, and I'm spending hours a day at my microscope.

Pat Thielen

#5 Post by Pat Thielen » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:54 pm

Lilly Begonia wrote:
Pat Thielen wrote:Finally! I photo of something that isn't trying to kill you. This by by reckoning a copepod known as a cyclops because he only has the one eye. Personally, I think they should be called a Balor; from Celtic mythology. Balor was the king of the Fomorians and had an evil eye he could light up and destroy his enemies. He was quite formidable; his eye would eventually turn red-hot and burn all before it to ashes. Because this little guy has the single red eye I think the description fits. If you want to argue with me about it I can always let the little Balor in on the discussion!

Good catch Pat! I've yet to see one myself, and I'm spending hours a day at my microscope.

I'm sure you'll come across one at some point -- They are rather common in pond samples along with other cool copepods. You'll also find their nymphs, or baby cyclops, in those samples as well. There is always so much to discover.
Pat Thielen
Motic BA310, C & A Scientific Premiere SMZ-07, Swift Eleven-Ninety, Swift FM-31, Bausch & Lomb VM349, Olympus CHA
Nikon d810

Pat Thielen

#6 Post by Pat Thielen » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:57 pm

75RR wrote:Fun catch
Did you attempt to pin it down with the cover slip?
I find it works well as it not only holds the specimen still, but also holds it up against the cover slip - which improves the image.
It takes a bit of practice but by judiciously adding water (I use a split toothpick) and subtracting water (with absorbent paper) one can both pin and then release animacules.

I didn't do anything really special or anything; I just photographed as he was. It is possible that the cover glass was holding him down as I try not to put too much water on the slides -- Maybe just a couple drops. I do see smaller copepods bounce around, though, so I'm not sure. But thanks for the technique; there is always something new to try. I do learn a lot from these forums!
Pat Thielen
Nikon d810

Jonnyvine

#7 Post by Jonnyvine » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:18 pm

Nice shot :)