Amscope Digital Camera to Olympus BH-2

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
SunshineLW

Amscope Digital Camera to Olympus BH-2

#1 Post by SunshineLW » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:57 pm

Hello Friends,

I recently took some advice from several MicrobeHunter-Forum'ers (75RR and einman) and purchased an Olympus BH-2 with Olympus SPlanApo objectives (10x, 20x, 40x, 100x). The scope also has a DIC attachment and a twin headpiece.

I am a small animal veterinarian so my ultimate goal is to build a setup suited for professional color microphotography (ex., parasites, bacteria, cellular cytology).

I have an 18MP Amscope digital camera attached to my stereo-microscope and (assuming it provides me with decent-resolution images) I want the ability to use the Amscope camera for both microscopes.

Here is a link to the specifications for my Amscope digital camera (http://www.amscope.com/18mp-usb3-0-real ... era-1.html). I have also included an image of the Olympus setup and my current Amscope Stereo-microscope setup.

I have several questions for the experts/ experienced:

1. What is the best camera adapter for the Amscope camera and the Olympus BH-2? (I want to be well informed before calling Amscope)

2. Will the twin headpiece interfere with tube-length and, therefore, image resolution?

3. Should I sell the Amscope camera and purchase a DSLR camera?

4. What other suggestions do you have that may improve my plan and image resolution?

Thank you all for your kind help and interest in microscopy/ microphotography! I am currently working on a parasitology website and I cannot wait to share it with the community.

- Lance
Attachments
Specifications of Amscope 18MP digital camera, and my current Amscope stereo-microscope setup
Specifications of Amscope 18MP digital camera, and my current Amscope stereo-microscope setup
Current Setup.jpg (107.21 KiB) Viewed 7657 times
Olympus BH-2 with Olympus SPlanApo objectives (10x, 20x, 40x, 100x), DIC, and twin headpiece
Olympus BH-2 with Olympus SPlanApo objectives (10x, 20x, 40x, 100x), DIC, and twin headpiece
Ebay Purchase.jpg (225.74 KiB) Viewed 7657 times
Last edited by SunshineLW on Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Crater Eddie

Re: Amscope Digital Camera to Olympus BH-2

#2 Post by Crater Eddie » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:03 pm

Might just be me, but I can't see your photos. The BH-2 is a great scope.
CE

Edit: Well, now I see your photos just fine.
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

Hobbyst46

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:32 pm

What a nice system! congratulations. And IMO worth the money, considering the planapo objectives and viewing accessories, the mercury lamphouse and the fluorescence attachment and cubes. All these are costly when bought separately.

It looks like you have the original Olympus photo adapter and film camera on top of the BH-2? did you get an NFK eyepiece within the deal?

SunshineLW

#4 Post by SunshineLW » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:42 pm

Thank you, Hobbyst46, for the congratulations and the piece of mind.
Hobbyst46 wrote:did you get an NFK eyepiece within the deal?
I do not know because I have yet to receive the scope and I did not ask. I asked the seller several questions and it is clear that the seller does not know microscopes. I would assume it does since, as you stated, the scope possesses the original Olympus photo adapter and everything appears intact.

However, the reason I posted this question is, (to my knowledge) my camera does not require a NFK eyepiece. I do not use a NFK eyepiece on my stereo microscope; I simply insert the male part of the camera (23mm diameter) into the photo tube of the trinocular port (of the stereo-microscope). Therefore, I am assuming that I can simply insert the male part of the camera (23mm diameter) into the photo tube of the trinocular port (of the olympus scope).

Does anyone know if this is assumption is true?

Crater Eddie

#5 Post by Crater Eddie » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:30 pm

You should be able to operate this way, though I think the Olympus optics will give you better color correction.
I used my little 3mp Amscope camera this way on my BH-2 for a while. I eventually replaced the Amscope reduction lens with the Olympus NFK 2.5 and the Olympus U-PMTVC adapter. I like this setup a lot better. Of course since I got the Olympus MFT camera I don't use the 3mp much any more.
CE

Edit to add photo:
DSCN9605.JPG
DSCN9605.JPG (371.74 KiB) Viewed 7597 times
blood2.jpg
blood2.jpg (84.06 KiB) Viewed 7589 times
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)

SunshineLW

#6 Post by SunshineLW » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:45 pm

Crater Eddie wrote:You should be able to operate this way, though I think the Olympus optics will give you better color correction.
YES! This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thank you so much for the images and clarification. I will probably follow exactly in your footsteps.

If I ever decided to purchase one, could I apply a DSLR camera to the setup (Olympus NFK 2.5 + Olympus U-PMTVC adapter)?

Crater Eddie

#7 Post by Crater Eddie » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:05 pm

You wouldn't need the U-PMTVC with a DSLR. Its purpose is to fit the image to the smaller sensor of a video camera, and so it is a fair fit for the USB cameras.
Here is what Alan Wood says on the subject:

http://www.alanwood.net/photography/oly ... scope.html

I tried it with my Oly E-P1 and wasn't happy with the result, though I'll admit that I didn't play with it very much. For that I just made a solid tube (no optics) of the correct length to space the camera sensor at the proper distance above the NFK, simulating the Oly Photomicro Adapter L. I have a thread on it here somewhere.
I'll be interested in your review of the 18mp Amscope camera. Many folks eventually migrate away from the USB cameras when they get more serious about imaging, but I don't know anyone who had the 18mp version.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)

SunshineLW

#8 Post by SunshineLW » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:28 pm

Okay, I think I understand now. I can remove the built-in lens from the Amscope camera and replace it with the U-PMTVC. If using a DSLR, I would only need the NFK 2.5 (plus a way to attach/position the lens of the DSLR above the NFK 2.5).

When I have everything set up, I will:
1. Image through the trifocal tube with the 18MP Amscope camera, alone. If I am unsatisfied, I will:
2. Image through the U-PMTVC with the 18MP Amscope camera. If I am still unsatisfied, I will:
3. Image through the NFK 2.5 (without the U-PMTVC) with a DSLR camera

Am I missing something?

I will, of course, document my trials and tribulations to share with the community. I like the idea of using my Amscope camera interchangeably with the side-by-side stereo-microscope and compound microscope, so I think this information may be useful (particularly if the resolution of the 18MP camera holds up against the alternatives). Thank you for the suggestions and recommendations. They have saved me much time and I am very grateful.

billbillt

#9 Post by billbillt » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:56 am

Please do share your work with us!!...

BillT

SunshineLW

#10 Post by SunshineLW » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:07 pm

billbillt wrote:Please do share your work with us!!...

Here is a link to the updated thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5853&p=52323#p52323

billbillt

#11 Post by billbillt » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:47 pm

Great work!... Thanks for the link and sharing...

BillT

Crater Eddie

#12 Post by Crater Eddie » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:42 pm

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the photo I posted earlier of the (human) blood smear was taken with the 40x SPLAN dry objective, and the only cropping was done by the camera and adapter. That should give you some idea of the magnification of the adapter setup. I wish I could give you a side by side comparison of the Olympus adapter v/s the Amscope, but I don't have the Amscope reduction lens any more.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)