I bought some slides from John!

This is the place where collectors can discuss their passion.
Pat Thielen

I bought some slides from John!

#1 Post by Pat Thielen » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:01 pm

Last week I bought some slides from John and I'm really looking forward to receiving them from England. I expect I'll be especially challenged in photographing them as I typically don't work with botanical specimens; the stacking will be most fun and interesting I suspect. And so now John's shipment is making me rush to the door every half-hour to see if they've arrived. Hey -- At least I'm getting some exercise out of this. :lol:

More to follow!

And many thanks to John! Your slides are truly works of art and I'm very happy to be receiving some quite soon.
Pat Thielen
Motic BA310, C & A Scientific Premiere SMZ-07, Swift Eleven-Ninety, Swift FM-31, Bausch & Lomb VM349, Olympus CHA
Nikon d810

charlie g

Re: I bought some slides from John!

#2 Post by charlie g » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:03 pm

I too relish the group of botanical permanent slides which I purchased from John B. a while ago. To me my microscopy world views enhance my appreciation of our day to day living...and our plants are the primary producers which our planets life communities rely upon. Time with John B's fixed/sectioned/stained/mounted botanical slides ( any one slide offers more and more content, the more you with microscope understand what you are observing) offers wonderful guest 'eye candy' when you have folks in your home for a dinner, they offer a rich organism for you to better your image capture techniques, they offer a reality to savor the optical resolution and performance of your favorite microscope setups ( the chosen objectives, chosen illumination, chosen image capture setup...etc..)

Then too, for me it's a wonderful indulgence to expect fine crafted microscopy items to arrive in the mails...items from far away to be observed with all sorts of personal microscopy world view attitudes! Be very careful with your 'tight working distance/ higher magnification objectives' Pat...lest you 'crack down upon and shatter your botanical elegant slides.

I sense we forum microscopists all share your excitement about a microscopy purchase arriving from afar...any day! Charlie Guevara, finger lakes/US

JimT

#3 Post by JimT » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:31 pm

Pat I am sure you will be really pleased with John B's slides.

For your further consideration let me suggest a great book: A Color Atlas of Plant Structuree by Bryan Bowes. I bought a used one a few of years ago and it has really improved my knowledge of what I am observing.

Plus, between it and John B. it incented me to try my own sections which I also enjoy.

Looking forward to your images of plant cell structure.

JimT

Pat Thielen

#4 Post by Pat Thielen » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:18 am

JimT wrote:Pat I am sure you will be really pleased with John B's slides.

For your further consideration let me suggest a great book: A Color Atlas of Plant Structuree by Bryan Bowes. I bought a used one a few of years ago and it has really improved my knowledge of what I am observing.

Plus, between it and John B. it incented me to try my own sections which I also enjoy.

Looking forward to your images of plant cell structure.

JimT

Thanks for the book recommendation; I'll definitely look into it (hey! I just made a pun without even trying :lol: ). John did warn me that photographing these things is a bit tricky so I'll just have to see what I can do. Not being very experienced with botanical material should give me a pretty good learning curve. When I get something good I'll for sure post it.

I just got the slides today so my exercise regiment has come to an end (no more running to the door every five minutes). They arrived in good shape and I'm really looking forward to working with them. I may do some photos tonight, actually. In any case, just looking at them they all look incredibly good.

More to follow...
Pat Thielen
Motic BA310, C & A Scientific Premiere SMZ-07, Swift Eleven-Ninety, Swift FM-31, Bausch & Lomb VM349, Olympus CHA
Nikon d810

Pat Thielen

#5 Post by Pat Thielen » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:21 am

charlie g wrote:I too relish the group of botanical permanent slides which I purchased from John B. a while ago. To me my microscopy world views enhance my appreciation of our day to day living...and our plants are the primary producers which our planets life communities rely upon. Time with John B's fixed/sectioned/stained/mounted botanical slides ( any one slide offers more and more content, the more you with microscope understand what you are observing) offers wonderful guest 'eye candy' when you have folks in your home for a dinner, they offer a rich organism for you to better your image capture techniques, they offer a reality to savor the optical resolution and performance of your favorite microscope setups ( the chosen objectives, chosen illumination, chosen image capture setup...etc..)

Then too, for me it's a wonderful indulgence to expect fine crafted microscopy items to arrive in the mails...items from far away to be observed with all sorts of personal microscopy world view attitudes! Be very careful with your 'tight working distance/ higher magnification objectives' Pat...lest you 'crack down upon and shatter your botanical elegant slides.

I sense we forum microscopists all share your excitement about a microscopy purchase arriving from afar...any day! Charlie Guevara, finger lakes/US

It really is wonderful getting stuff like this in the mail; I'm looking forward to working with them. And I do have friends who would be impressed with them as well; I fly in some rather geeky circles. Not square or tetrahedrons. Only circles.

I hope to be safe with my lenses -- I don't expect to use the 100x oil immersion lens on them so all should be good. But I'll be extra careful with the 40x; that one does have a rather close working distance. No slides or lenses shall be injured!

:)
Pat Thielen
Nikon d810