An Easy one for you

Have problems identifying an organism? Ask for help here.
coominya

An Easy one for you

#1 Post by coominya » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:44 pm

This one is about 80u long, swam in a circle and whenever it brushed another, even much smaller protist, it recoiled very smartly. I looked in my resources and bing images but I'm stumped. The closest I came to something similar was Epenardia

Here is what I have

Here is a Epenardia from (protist.i.hosei.ac.jp)

desertrat

Re: An Easy one for you

#2 Post by desertrat » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:23 am

If you have a fast connection and lots of hard drive space, you can download this:

https://archive.org/download/in.ernet.d ... y-1918.pdf

178 megabytes. I bought a hard copy many years ago. Your protist is probably in there. The only problem is many organisms have been renamed in the century since this was published. Googling the old obsolete name will often lead to the current one.

But first, let me download it and see if the line drawings in the scanned copy are clear enough to be useful. Will report back shortly.
Rick

A/O 10 Series Microstar
A/O 4 Series Microstar
A/O 4 Series Phasestar
A/O 4 Series Apostar
A/O Cycloptic Stereo
Several old monocular scopes in more or less decrepit but usable condition

desertrat

#3 Post by desertrat » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:33 am

OK, the line drawings are good. This is a good copy. Lots of good info in it, although the relations between the families of organisms have changed, some of them a great deal. But good for identification.
Rick

A/O 10 Series Microstar
A/O 4 Series Microstar
A/O 4 Series Phasestar
A/O 4 Series Apostar
A/O Cycloptic Stereo
Several old monocular scopes in more or less decrepit but usable condition

coominya

#4 Post by coominya » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:39 am

Great. thanks, downloading now.

75RR

#5 Post by 75RR » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:19 am

An Easy one for you
Ha ha ...
Alfred Kahl - Urtiere oder Protozoa I: Wimpertiere oder Ciliata -

download the 3 volumes (you might need to brush up on your german) ;)

Volume I General Section And Prostomata
Volume II Holotricha
Volume III Spirotricha

https://archive.org/search.php?query=alfred%20kahl&and
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Francisco

#6 Post by Francisco » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:07 pm

Possibly Frontonia

Bruce Taylor

#7 Post by Bruce Taylor » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:56 pm

It is Frontonia acuminata (resembles F. angusta in size & shape, but has a pigmented spot at the front end of the cell).

Bruce Taylor

#8 Post by Bruce Taylor » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:21 pm

75RR wrote:
An Easy one for you
Ha ha ...
Alfred Kahl - Urtiere oder Protozoa I: Wimpertiere oder Ciliata -

Volume I General Section And Prostomata
Volume II Holotricha
Volume III Spirotricha

https://archive.org/search.php?query=alfred%20kahl&and
It took a lot of work to scan my copy and post it to the Internet Archive a few years ago. :lol: I'm glad to see it gets downloaded, from time to time! However, note that Kahl's magnum opus has 4 volumes (you left out vol. IV Peritricha & Chonotricha).

75RR

#9 Post by 75RR » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:50 pm

It took a lot of work to scan my copy and post it to the Internet Archive a few years ago. :lol: I'm glad to see it gets downloaded, from time to time!
Very glad you did. A heartfelt thank you!
However, note that Kahl's magnum opus has 4 volumes (you left out vol. IV Peritricha & Chonotricha).
Noted :)
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

ImperatorRex

#10 Post by ImperatorRex » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:59 pm

Bruce Taylor wrote:It took a lot of work to scan my copy and post it to the Internet Archive a few years ago.
Also pls. receive my thanks Bruce! I downloaded the pdfs and applied some layout enhancements before printing & binding the books. Printing of part 1 and 2 worked very well. Somehow had problems to process the other pdfs. Not sure what is different with this pds, but I failed to extract individual pdf pages to process these. So I still missing band 3 and 4 in my book shelf.

Bruce Taylor

#11 Post by Bruce Taylor » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:54 pm

ImperatorRex wrote:Printing of part 1 and 2 worked very well. Somehow had problems to process the other pdfs. Not sure what is different with this pds, but I failed to extract individual pdf pages to process these.
Hmm, I wonder what was different about the other pdf files? I still have all the original scans, in jpg format, if you want to try using those.

There is also a fifth monograph, original copies of which are extremely rare. Kahl intended it to be the first volume of a new work to be titled Infusorien, but plans were disrupted by the war (Kahl himself died in 1946). Foissner & Wenzel republished it in a special issue of Acta Protozoologica: http://www1.nencki.gov.pl/pdf/ap/ap812_supplement.pdf

Sadly, the second volume never appeared. I wonder if the manuscript is hidden away in some family collection, somewhere?

coominya

#12 Post by coominya » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:09 am

75RR wrote: Alfred Kahl - Urtiere oder Protozoa I: Wimpertiere oder Ciliata -

that's what google translate is for :D thanks

MichaelG.

#13 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:25 am

Bruce Taylor wrote:It took a lot of work to scan my copy and post it to the Internet Archive a few years ago. :lol: I'm glad to see it gets downloaded, from time to time!.
Thanks for doing all that work, Bruce !!
Whilst visiting the Internet Archive, I also found this little gem:
https://archive.org/details/KahlsKeysToTheCiliates

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Bruce Taylor

#14 Post by Bruce Taylor » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:32 am

MichaelG. wrote:Whilst visiting the Internet Archive, I also found this little gem:
https://archive.org/details/KahlsKeysToTheCiliates

MichaelG.
I scanned that one too, with the author's permission. :) It isn't very useful, though. Kahl's species-level descriptions and deft illustrations remain current and interesting, but his taxonomy, at the genus level and above, was already obsolete in 1978, when Paddy produced that booklet.

ImperatorRex

#15 Post by ImperatorRex » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:03 pm

Bruce Taylor wrote:Hmm, I wonder what was different about the other pdf files? I still have all the original scans, in jpg format, if you want to try using those.
It is really strange but I tried several hours to extract the individal pages without any progress or success. So I would be very grateful if you could supply me the jpg format. I will contact you to share email to further coordinate.[/quote]
Are you interested to get the final print layouts that I have generated? I would be glad to share.
Bruce Taylor wrote:There is also a fifth monograph, original copies of which are extremely rare. Kahl intended it to be the first volume of a new work to be titled Infusorien, but plans were disrupted by the war (Kahl himself died in 1946). Foissner & Wenzel republished it in a special issue of Acta Protozoologica: http://www1.nencki.gov.pl/pdf/ap/ap812_supplement.pdf
Your info is really a jewel and make this a very happy day for me :-) Great info and hyperlink too! I have to admit that I feel now very glad that I am a native german speaker, so I can read Kahls monographs :-)
Usually me - and especially the pitiable audiance - suffers from my poor English during business meetings ;-)
Again thank you for sharing this really great information and scaning all the hundreds pages.