Hello from Pennsylvania

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Engineer28

Hello from Pennsylvania

#1 Post by Engineer28 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:05 pm

Hello Everyone!

I am a long time visitor of this forum and recently decided to make an account. I am an mechanical engineer who has always had an interest in microscopic biology. I fell in love with the microscopic world in my high school biology class. In the past I have owned some AmScopes but recently have made the decision to buy a higher quality scope. I am the new owner of a Zeiss Standard microscope that I hope to setup for photography and possibly modify for fluorescence microscopy.

I look forward to increasing my knowledge with all of you on the forum. I don't know much yet, but I'm sure I'll be asking many questions!

Hobbyst46

Re: Hello from Pennsylvania

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:19 pm

Welcome! which Standard model is it?
Expertise in mechanics and setting up an old microscope work very well together...

JimT

#3 Post by JimT » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:17 pm

Welcome Engineer28. Lots of good info on this site.

Engineer28

#4 Post by Engineer28 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:47 am

Thanks guys!

Hobbyst46: I believe it is a standard 16. Attached is a photo of an Zeiss Standard that is identical to mine. Correct me if I am wrong. I am on the road right now and wont be able to take a good look at it again until I return home later this week (I only received it last Friday).

Hopefully I can find a way to attach my Nikon D3200 to it easily. I hope to start sharing some photos on the forum in the next few weeks.
Attachments
4515_IMG_20160303_132611_1.jpg
4515_IMG_20160303_132611_1.jpg (76.94 KiB) Viewed 6463 times

75RR

#5 Post by 75RR » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:50 am

Hi Engineer28, welcome

The Zeiss Standards are not only a modular design but have been around for a while, as such,
most have changed somewhat from their original configuration - which is on what the model number is based.

Looking forward to seeing some photos of yours in the My microscope section of the forum when you get a moment
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Hobbyst46

#6 Post by Hobbyst46 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:20 pm

A fine microscope, relatively modern head, good mechanically stable phototube and a phase (or DIC+phase?) condenser.
If the light source is the 6V 15W incandescent (not halogen), it will be adequate for brightfield and low-magnification phase.
Enjoy!

charlie g

#7 Post by charlie g » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:48 pm

Welcome, engineer28. My first suggestion is that you use the 'halo of your institution work base';, to order simple chemicals you will need for basic...and latter advanced fluorescence microscopy.

Very useful basic reagents for a lot of microscopy ( such as reagent grade anhydrous ethanol, glacial acetic acid, etc...and a variety of tried and true fluorescence microscopy 'chemical prep kits'.)...well these standard reagents are available to high school biology/chemistry/physics departments...but not to sincere hobbyist home microscopists.

Even as you plan your home microscopy instrumentation, please keep a sense of useful microcopy reagents you will utilize. I sense your professional base will permit you easy purchase from the firms serving microscopy science.

My dear sibling is a mechanical engineer...the microscopy hobby never bloomed for my dear sibling...I imagine with software image processing...you will soar to great insights, great appreciation for our wonderful microscopy world views aspect of our environments. And as an engineer, you are embarked upon this latest blizzard finding standards for the: 'Internet of things'...our phones, our cars, our fridges, our machines all talking to one another(IOT) !

Welcome to a sharing forum, E28, please think about the simple reagents you will be using. Charlie Guevara, finger lakes/US

Hobbyst46

#8 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:36 pm

charlie g wrote:Welcome, engineer28. My first suggestion is that you use the 'halo of your institution work base';, to order simple chemicals you will need for basic...and latter advanced fluorescence microscopy.
Just to second these notions and add some more.
Fluorescence microscopy is more complex and specific than other modes of light microscopy. Equipment and chemicals are expensive. I would recommend to start by getting acquainted with the physics/chemistry basis (the essentials) of fluorescence and with the technique of epi-illumination for fluorescence microscopy. To observe a certain fluorescence, one needs a specific set of filters and mirrors, in addition to an appropriate high-intensity lamp. And similarly when one needs to use a fluorescent stain.

wstenberg

#9 Post by wstenberg » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:39 am

Welcome engineer28. I am also i the process of setting up a Zeiss Standard for fluorescence. Hopefully, I will have some photos to post and we can compare notes along the way!
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar