Cleaning Aluminum

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
JGardner

Cleaning Aluminum

#1 Post by JGardner » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:59 pm

I'm in the process of restoring two vintage microscopes to their original cosmetic condition. What's the best way to clean aluminum surfaces that have turned dull and and have small grey spots? I assume I don't want to use any kind of abrasive cleaner on these surfaces (slide holder and graduated scales for a mechanical stage).

apochronaut

Re: Cleaning Aluminum

#2 Post by apochronaut » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:16 pm

Do you mean aluminum as in focusing knobs, etc.?

JGardner

#3 Post by JGardner » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:18 pm

apochronaut wrote:Do you mean aluminum as in focusing knobs, etc.?
Yes, the focusing knobs and also the slide holder and the graduated scales of the mechanical stage.

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:42 pm

Focusing knobs on used instruments usually have a nice fulminating stew of Homo Sapiens detritus in the knurlings. The aluminum is nicely oxidized, so you don't want to dig to deep into that but a discarded toothbrush and some isopropyl, usually can get most of the goober out of those deep dark grooves. Sometimes they need to soak a bit because older, vintage portions of the melange can be well aged but with a little knuckle grease exerted in the right place, you will have them bright and shiny and ready to receive the next batch.