?: Plan Objectives and Rack-and-Pinion condenser

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
linuxusr

?: Plan Objectives and Rack-and-Pinion condenser

#1 Post by linuxusr » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:16 pm

Hello,

I am an amateur microscopist. I am also a retired senior citizen. I observe mostly wet mounts and Protista. I do not do photography. For years I have used a Nikon AlphaPhot 2 with achromatic objectives and a fixed condenser.

Now I choose to upgrade and buy my second and final microscope. That means Plan objectives and Kohler illumination (sorry, no umlaut), and, therefore, a rack-and-pinion condenser and centering screws.

I'm expecting this upgrade to provide only an incremental increase in specimen viewing quality. The scope will use LED illumination.

But I have no experience and this will be my first time buy (of my second and last scope).

Looking for microscopists with this experience who can fill me in.
Nikon AlphaPhot 2 < Zeiss Primostar 3, Full Köhler; Axiocam 208 Color < UHD LG
Aller Anfang ist schwer.

Hobbyst46

Re: ?: Plan Objectives and Rack-and-Pinion condenser

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:38 pm

linuxusr wrote:Hello,
I'm expecting this upgrade to provide only an incremental increase in specimen viewing quality. The scope will use LED illumination.
I hope and trust that the upgrade will improve your viewing quality, especially if it includes a variety of illuminations, not just brightfield.
However, LED illumination in itself does not automatically provide Kohler illumination. For Kohler, you need a field diaphragm, and that the LED image can be focused (if the microscope has collector optics, the LED must be compatible with it).

lorez

#3 Post by lorez » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:28 pm

'm expecting this upgrade to provide only an incremental increase in specimen viewing quality. The scope will use LED illumination.
How big is your increment ? If it's small, just buy some better Nikon objectives. If it's larger, buy a Labophot, or Labophot2, or Olympus BH2. If you are just looking any of these would serve you well.

I have a couple to dispose of.

lorez

linuxusr

#4 Post by linuxusr » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:12 am

Hobbyst46 wrote:
linuxusr wrote:Hello,
I hope and trust that the upgrade will improve your viewing quality, especially if it includes a variety of illuminations, not just brightfield.
However, LED illumination in itself does not automatically provide Kohler illumination. For Kohler, you need a field diaphragm, and that the LED image can be focused (if the microscope has collector optics, the LED must be compatible with it).

I have no experience with Kohler illumination. Do you? What is your take? It seems to me that K. illumination is not possible without being able move the condenser in the Z direction (always rack and pinion?) and having centering screws. Yet, as I look at a plethora of scopes, both new and used, almost all have fixed condensers. Hmm. If K. illumination is preferred why does the hardware necessary to it seem relatively uncommon. One scope that I am looking at that does have a Z direction condenser is Accu-Scope. They have an amazing quantity of accessories, including about ten different sizes of parfocal shims. Also, they have great modularity. For example, I can get a rack and pinion condenser with a monocular head. Scopes with monocular heads are generally the cheaper variety but I am blind in one eye (no light per ception) so this is an intriguing offering. Don't have a price quote yet. I'm guessing $1300. with Plan objectives.

Sorry, I digress. Yes, I could upgrade my Nikon objectives but I am actually looking for a second scope (and an upgrade)to use in the Dominican Republic, my first home; U.S. my second, where the Nikon stays . . .
Aller Anfang ist schwer.

linuxusr

#5 Post by linuxusr » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:24 am

lorez wrote:
'm expecting this upgrade to provide only an incremental increase in specimen viewing quality. The scope will use LED illumination.
How big is your increment ? If it's small, just buy some better Nikon objectives. If it's larger, buy a Labophot, or Labophot2, or Olympus BH2. If you are just looking any of these would serve you well.

I have a couple to dispose of.

lorez
Very true, I could buy better used DIN plan objectives for my Nikon. But I still would not have Kohler illumination given that I have a fixed condenser. "The jury is till out," for me, whether K. illumination makes much difference but it is something I want because I have never had it and, as you know, light microscopes have limitations, so any improvement I can grab . . . I leave my Nikon in the U.S. I am looking for a second scope to use in the Dominican Republic which is now my first home. I'm hoping this scope will also be an upgrade. I am not familiar with Labophot and I will investigate that. Also, for the first time, I am checking eBay and filtering for Zeiss, Nikon, Olympus, and Leica. I am impressed by the design of some of the older Olympus scopes, but worry about replacing bulbs and fuses on old models. I will check out Olympus BH2.
Aller Anfang ist schwer.

75RR

#6 Post by 75RR » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:50 am

For the money you are thinking of spending you can get an older Nikon microscope that is a good step up from your 'student microscope'
It should get you not only Köhler and Plan objectives but it should also be enough for Phase Contrast as well.
Keeping to the same brand would give you compatibility with both of your microscopes.

Agree with Hobbyst46 - LED illumination, by or in itself is not an upgrade.

Unless the 'monocular head' is more convenient for viewing I would not make it a sticking point.
A 'trinocular head' in case you change you mind and decide to keep a record of what you see and or want to share with others is always worth having.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Hobbyst46

#7 Post by Hobbyst46 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:16 am

linuxusr wrote:I have no experience with Kohler illumination.
Kohler is nicely explained and illustrated in web tutorials and microscope manuals. For example, https://www.zeiss.com/microscopy/us/sol ... ation.html
Do you?
Yes.
It seems to me that K. illumination is not possible without being able move the condenser in the Z direction (always rack and pinion?) and having centering screws.
That is correct, it is a necessary condition, but not sufficient: one needs a field diaphragm and a proper alignment of the lamp/LED.
I look at a plethora of scopes, both new and used, almost all have fixed condensers. Hmm. If K. illumination is preferred why does the hardware necessary to it seem relatively uncommon.
IMHO, at least all scopes that are designed to provide more that just plain brightfield (i.e. darkfield, phase and other options) ,irrespective of the scope's age, and irrespective of the light source (tungsten/halogen/LED) feature vertical movement (rack&pinion AFAIK) and centering of the condensers.
I'm guessing $1300. with Plan objectives.
I believe that with such budget there are additional, perhaps better options in the used scope market, and in the US, there are several good inexpensive options in addition to Olympus, Nikon, Leica and Zeiss.

75RR

#8 Post by 75RR » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:41 am

This Zeiss tutorial has the advantage of providing an interactive (hands on) Köhler setup. Fun and instructive.
Note: start by aligning the filament.

http://zeiss-campus.magnet.fsu.edu/tuto ... flash.html
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)