Hi, noob from Alabama here...

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Captain_Howdy1

Hi, noob from Alabama here...

#1 Post by Captain_Howdy1 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:46 am

somehow I doubled....see post above...my apologies to the forum and admins.

NJH

Re: Hi, noob from Alabama here...

#2 Post by NJH » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:04 pm

Hello Noob from AL...
Thanks for posting the 2nd time...the first one didn't come through (at least for me - I got an error message)

I am awaiting the arrival of my Labophot 2 POL scope that I bought surplus; I'm hoping it's in as good condition as it looks!!!
I have an Alphaphot YS that I'm trying to refurbish (and learn in the process how to disassemble/assemble microscopes!) and hope to get both scopes up to good working condition soon.

Hope to learn a lot from this forum and site....seems like there are a lot of well-versed-in-microscope people here and I need to learn a LOT!!

Welcome - but War Eagle!!

Captain_Howdy1

#3 Post by Captain_Howdy1 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:00 am

NJH wrote:Hello Noob from AL...
Thanks for posting the 2nd time...the first one didn't come through (at least for me - I got an error message)

I am awaiting the arrival of my Labophot 2 POL scope that I bought surplus; I'm hoping it's in as good condition as it looks!!!
I have an Alphaphot YS that I'm trying to refurbish (and learn in the process how to disassemble/assemble microscopes!) and hope to get both scopes up to good working condition soon.

Hope to learn a lot from this forum and site....seems like there are a lot of well-versed-in-microscope people here and I need to learn a LOT!!

Welcome - but War Eagle!!
Roll Tide! Somehow I knew it would eventually come to this...but no worries! I'm not a hater! All in good fun!!!

On a more serious note though, I decided to buy a used Alphaphot YS2-T and do the same as you...at this point I have a usable microscope without a mechanical slide movement on the stage bed and one crappy lens on the head. I am approaching the 400 dollar mark and for what I have spent so far I could have purchased a unit that was up and running without the trial and error process. But I am learning so that is good. Lesson number one Ebay sellers will flat out tell you a lie then back peddle like the rats they are when you call them out on something. I have had it happen three times. Only one guy actually made it right. He came out and straight up and apologized to me. He said a bad review didn't mean anything to him but my business did. I am still working with this guy and at this point I kept the original item I purchased from him because even though the description was wrong it was still a good price and still a quality set of objectives for the price I paid. I haven't given him a bad review either, not yet anyway. But I did chastise him over the email. So for now we are good.

I may end up with a spare mono head to fit the Alpha as the original came with that. I dropped one of my eyepieces from the AmScope in it and it worked just fine. After looking through a bino there is no going back for me but I can see the need for the mono.

I'll say this about the Alphaphot versus the AmScope, and this is just the point of view of a noob and it is completely honest the best I can tell as I don't know any better. It seems to me that the Nikon gives a more wider field of view than the AmScope even though the AmScope is newer. Possibly my imagination. I don't know why, it is just my impression as right now I have no method to measure this. Also even though the Nikon scope is old as the hills compared to the newer AmScope when I swing the turret around to change the objectives I spend a lot less time on the focus knob with the older scope and I also notice the target stays in center alignment much better as well. Seems I spend a lot of time adjusting the focus and chasing my target with the AmScope but once I get things lined up with the old Nikon I am good to go.

The AmScope does have LED lighting which I specified when I ordered it so it's easier for me to lean over for longer periods regarding the heat. And I bought a few extras like the dark field adapter and I have a trinocular head and camera for it that the Nikon does not.

But to be honest, in my opinion, and every opinion is different, and it may change as I gain more experience but at this point I think if I had a brand new Nikon Alphaphot with the same accessories sitting on the table beside my AmScope 490 it would blow the 490 away hands down. And I say that from an image stand point of what I see and how it feels during use.

So I think if you can get into that Alphaphot without too much money you will have some fun and have a nice microscope as well. Just be leary of the Ebay crooks if you go that route.

Hope to catch you around!

Wes

NJH

#4 Post by NJH » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:09 pm

Wes,
Thanks for your reply. I agree with pretty much everything you said...I have also come to the conclusion that older "name brand" scopes beat the newer (is, Amscope, etc.) scopes hands down.

Right now, I'm working on the Alphaphot focus assembly - the left side screw is broken and still in there, so I'm looking for a reverse screw bit so that I can get it out, then hopefully fix the "slip" in the fine focus. And, like you, I sorta got screwed on eBay...but I'm only out $100, and the seller is going to send me a 2nd Alphaphot for parts (free of charge). I told him I would not give negative feedback if he makes it right...I just won't give feedback at all. Even with that, I think the investment will be worth it (eventually).

Meanwhile...I purchased a Labophot 2 POL from an AZ surplus sale. It was marked with calibration date Nov 2017, good until Nov 2018, so I have SOME hope that it is in decent condition. It is from the state Dept of Health (Serology), so I would expect that the objectives are of good quality. Since I want my scope for looking at blood smears, I need them to be pretty good resolution. I'm supposed to get the scope on Monday....I'm so excited about it. That one already set me back $400, so I hope I don't get screwed again. Most of that model run from $675-$3000+, depending on the various bells & whistles. I think I could even get my $400 back just by selling the base unit. I'm not fooling myself...the filters and various "small" things will need to be repaired or replaced...but I'm up for the challenge.

I'll send an update once I get the new scope and check it out. Hopefully I can find that reverse drill bit soon, so that I can finish working on the Alphaphot as well.
I work in a research lab, so I plan to put the Alphaphot there (if I get it running well) and then keep the Labophot here at home. I hope to add a camera to the system, so I can take photos of the work I do.

Thanks again for your response...looking forward to trading tricks and stories as we delve into the world of microscope repairs!!!

Captain_Howdy1

#5 Post by Captain_Howdy1 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:31 am

Hi NJH, I wish I had my hands on your part that has the broken screw in it. I would take care of it for you. My paying job is as an A and P mechanic. So currently I do heavy maintenance repair on army helicopters currently. I won't get too much into it on open forum, but I have access to a lot of tools, not to mention what I own personally. Of course when it comes to really small things I wouldn't think twice about taking the part to a local machine shop and seeing how much they would charge to remove it. Probably less expense and hassle of finding the bit you are talking about. Especially if you don't have a fixture and a mill to chuck it up in properly so the bit doesn't walk and burr out the hole. But it sounds like you got everything going mostly your way.

Hmmm, you know, I want to think I seen some sort of replacement shaft somewhere on Ebay that some guy was building at home with a metal gear on it that was supposed to be a fix for a broken fine focus adjustment...if I see it again I will try and post the link if you want. Just let me know. You may see it yourself though but I want to think the part was reasonable.

So you never said where you are from?

This stuff is just a hobby for me. I have several different hobbies. This is nice to stay inside during the hot summer months. Especially after I been burning up in the heat all day. And I don't mess with the things all the time, just occasionally. I also dabble in long range shooting, general shooting, my aquarium and keeping cichlids, reloading, occasional piddling with computers and electronics, fishing, riding the Harley...crap...maybe I have too many hobbies...I need a beer...I just like fiddling with things I guess.

Be careful with that blood bruh...you never know what's in that stuff!

Wes

GaryB

#6 Post by GaryB » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:12 am

Welcome, and yes, fixing up old scopes is a lot of fun. I even 'fix' my non broken stuff (bad tinkerer habit). I have at two scopes in a constant state of disrepair that I'm always messing with because.. reasons 8-)
It sounds like you are well on your way to having a fun time.

NJH

#7 Post by NJH » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:06 pm

Nice to "meet" you, Howdy and GaryB!!!

I'm scheduled to get my Labophot 2 POL TODAY!!!! I'm so excited! I hope it's in as good condition as it appears!!

GaryB...don't worry....only my own blood that I'll be looking at!! Although....I will probably do some bacterial staining/viewing, which can potentially be as "dangerous" as blood, if not more so!

I'm actually from Fort Walton Beach, FL (originally), but I live in the Houston TX metro area now...have for the past 14 years. The FL beaches are still the most beautiful in the world, and my old hometown (even though it's much bigger and busier now) is still "home" in my heart.

I'll let ya'll know in a few days how the scope checks out!!! :D

I haven't received the (promised) second scope from the eBay seller....I thought he was trying to "make it right" by offering the 2nd scope for free; but, since he hasn't sent it yet, it could just be a delay tactic...sigh...time will tell, I suppose. I definitely knew to be "skeptical" when it came to buying on eBay, but a lot of people have mentioned getting good deals there too, so I guess you just have to do due diligence then pray for the best!!!

Have a great week!!