Recent acquisition: Nikon...somethingphot, maybe?

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
Scarodactyl

Recent acquisition: Nikon...somethingphot, maybe?

#1 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:21 am

Hey everyone. I had another lucky find last week at a surplus sale, and came across this beautiful Nikon microscope:
Outfitted with three "E" objectives:
In my early testing I have been surprised and pleased with how much working distance I get with the 10x, enough to get some fiber optic light onto the subject (which in my case will usually be gems and minerals). Even the 40x admits some light. And much as I love my SZ7, there's no comparison between the image produced by the 10x objective and the SZ7 with 2x auxiliary needed to get to a similar magnification level. Downright addictive.
Even better, I recently bought an ultrawide head meant for the -phot series (maybe for an orthophot?), which I was hoping would have an erect image so I could attach my extra Wild Makrozoom objective and make an improvised M420. As it turned out the seller was wrong and it does produce an inverted image; while testing I found it fits perfectly on this scope and I kind of fell in love with the wide field of view--on top of that the seller somehow accidentally sent me a free Nikon F head in addition to the UW and let me keep them both, so I figured I couldn't not take that deal.
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of scope this is. I kind of assume it's in the -phot series, but it doesn't seem to have a badge.
The next thing will be figuring out how to attach my camera.

lorez

Re: Recent acquisition: Nikon...somethingphot, maybe?

#2 Post by lorez » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:28 am

Your scope is an Alphaphot YS2.

lorez

Scarodactyl

#3 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:45 am

Thanks! I really appreciate the quick answer on that.

75RR

#4 Post by 75RR » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:22 am

I had another lucky find last week at a surplus sale, and came across this beautiful Nikon microscope
Is this online or do you visit the sales personally?
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Scarodactyl

#5 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:04 am

This one was in person. Our local university has occasional sales, and very occasionally a microscope will show up.