New Microscope

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
wstenberg

New Microscope

#1 Post by wstenberg » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:40 am

IMG_0378.JPG
IMG_0378.JPG (82.45 KiB) Viewed 3315 times
IMG_0376.JPG
IMG_0376.JPG (84.01 KiB) Viewed 3315 times
IMG_0377.JPG
IMG_0377.JPG (74.96 KiB) Viewed 3315 times
I just bought a new microscope on eBay. The label says Zeiss 1.6x. It fits the regular binocular, but I don't know how to attach the objective holder on the lower end. I found a photo on google of a similar scope with an epi-illuminator attachment. I just have never seen the attachment that connects to the scope. I'm guessing it might be a dovetail, but somewhat smaller than the binocular dovetail.
Besides the focusing knob, their is a calibrated micrometer knob; what's that for??? The little lever and the side of the base makes a rod poke up through the base about 2 mm or so. Can't think of what the purpose of that would be, but I see it is also present on the side of the Google photo. I would appreciate any information or ideas about this. Even the name of this device would be helpful...
Attachments
Google photo
Google photo
IMG_0383.JPG (93.52 KiB) Viewed 3315 times
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

wstenberg

Re: New Microscope

#2 Post by wstenberg » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:21 pm

What I have figured out so far...
The micrometer is a fine focus. Seems to be for measuring specimen thickness.
The lever on the base is to lock the table rotation.
There are no optics in the body; it's just a tube.
The f-model stand is the same as the Tessovar and Stereomicroscope stands from the 60s and 70s. I suppose this thing is the same vintage.
The bottom fitting could possibly be a 42mm dovetail.

Still don't know what it is or what it does...

Any info appreciated!
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

GaryB

#3 Post by GaryB » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:50 pm

Judging by that last picture I suspect it originally housed a telan lens for use with the epi illuminator, much like the upper epi lamps for the Zeiss standard as the head is a very long distance from the objectives. I may be wrong but that strikes me as the most logical given it says 1.6x on the tube. It almost looks like a cross between the old Standard and Universal epi setups.

I think it's an industrial metallurgical microscope.

wstenberg

#4 Post by wstenberg » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:28 am

Thanks for the help. Industrial Metallurgical microscope sounds right. Whatever it is, I like it. I'll see if I can get it up and running and post some photos...
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar