hello from ABQ

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
jjmason

hello from ABQ

#1 Post by jjmason » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:34 pm

Hi All

I am a new member in Albuquerque New Mexico with an interest in looking at the microbes in pond water, such as my koi pond. I am thinking pretty seriously about getting an Olympus CX23. I am still mulling over whether to get an optional 20x or 100x oil objective. Glad to see this forum exists, I'm looking forward to learning a lot from it!

Jeff

charlie g

Re: hello from ABQ

#2 Post by charlie g » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:52 pm

Welcome to forum, Jeff. I have a pond and stream setup in which I successfully have had a variety of native minnows breed, and brown bullheads breed. I had eleven 1" comets goldfish as starters four years ago...these are now about 8" in (I think) final adult size.

Microscopy will give you a deeper appreciation for your koi ecosystem, welcome to forum! BTW do you have predator crane birds plunder your koi? I've had to deal with a great blue heron for a week...I think he now has given up..but it has totally changed the behavior of my larger fish they only come up to surface at feeding times...after this everybody stays under deep water...sigh.

Charlie Guevara finger lakes/NY

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:26 pm

Welcome jjmason,

Not sure how much the Olympus CX23 is selling for but you may find that you will get a bigger bang for your buck if you venture into the second hand microscope market.
One can pick up a very good used microscope with a trinocular head, a 5 objective turret and Phase Contrast from one of the major manufactures for around $500 - $600 dollars with a little patience.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

jjmason

#4 Post by jjmason » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:27 am

Charlie - Sounds like we are interested in similar stuff. The Gammerus look cool. I have some local, Fat Head minnows, that are sustaining a breeding population. Gambusia too, but I assume everybody in US has those. The koi are huge, and prolific breeders, and the pond is 5 ft + at deepest point so I have seen wading birds but they aren't much problem. Getting bullheads to breed is cool!

75RR - I was pretty intimidated by the used, and even new, markets so I just said Im going to get an Olympus just to reduce the number of models to research. Then I found that they maintained their values to the point that I am leaning towards new. Its a bit safer and I would like to go with LED illumination. I see some CX21s for sale, but only ~ $300 cheaper than a new CX23LED ($700 vs $1k). One guy selling CX21s will sell you an optional 100x objective but it says "160" on it, which doesnt sound right to me for an infinity (UIS) system. You could spend a lot of time thinking about this, and its not really the fun part!

Jeff

75RR

#5 Post by 75RR » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:11 am

One guy selling CX21s will sell you an optional 100x objective but it says "160" on it, which doesnt sound right to me for an infinity (UIS) system.
Agree that is a red flag.
You could spend a lot of time thinking about this, and its not really the fun part!
Fair point.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)