I wish our fellow Texas microscopists to pass the floods safely and unharmed

Posts that are not microscopy-related should be placed here.
Hobbyst46

I wish our fellow Texas microscopists to pass the floods safely and unharmed

#1 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:59 pm

Wish you pleasant weather!

billbillt

Re: I wish our fellow Texas microscopists to pass the floods safely and unharmed

#2 Post by billbillt » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:36 pm

Thanks!..... It is nice... All that is missing is the sun....

BillT

KurtM

Re: I wish our fellow Texas microscopists to pass the floods safely and unharmed

#3 Post by KurtM » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:59 am

The floods were all around where I was in the past couple weeks -- Sonora and Junction -- and where I would still be if the weather weren't so atrocious. I learned a long time ago how to stay out of harm's way in that country, but sadly, many folks who go out there for adventure just don't know, and some learn the hard way. More than a few have lost their lives, and one remains missing nearly two weeks later.

It has been such a wet summer at Fort McKavett that I found abundant deep green jelly-like alien life forms laying about the grounds in the low spots when I arrived earlier this month. The microscope revealed them to be enormous colonies of cyanobacteria! Imagine finding algae mats where one expects cacti -- it's really unsettling. I actually made some images, will try to post some in the next day or two.

Central Texas is too wet for any outdoor work or activities. The coastal areas, my home ground, is actually fairly dry this time around. It's highly unusual that west Texas is hardest hit by excess rainfall.
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

zzffnn

#4 Post by zzffnn » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:47 am

Thank you!

I am doing fine in the Texas gulf coast, which did not get flooded. My home is a new build, has good drainage and outside of 500- year flood zone.

We also have a kayak and a canoe, in case we need them :mrgreen: Also I am a very good swimmer.